Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2006 Cardinals' Game Reviews and Comments

2006 Cardinals' Game Reviews and Comments

The first game was a win, the second will be underway in few hours....here's the thread where talk about Cardinals' games during the season. Tonight it's gonna be Mulder vs Myers, I can't watch the game because tomorrow got to wake up early and the first pitch is schedule at 1.05 am italian time.

Mulder just had to give up that 2 run shot to tie the game. He's on one of my fantasy teams, too.
    GOT ALBERT?
    St. Louis Cardinals BBFTG Website
    http://www.freewebs.com/bbftg6/

What's with Izzy walking people? He nearly blew the game and gave the Phillies the win. Or it must be that Molina won't quit moving around...he's as squirmy as a fish out of water. He's still new to the game, I know. But I hope he improves by not being so squirmy behind the plate and being stable for once.

I like that Molina is jumping around behind the plate... it shows an understanding of the game beyond his years.

With a runner on second, the baserunner could easily tip the pitch location to the batter by doing a number of things based on where Molina sets up. i.e. making a subtle fist (leaving his hand at his side, or wherever he has his hand while leading off) with one hand or the other to signify inside, outside, or raise a foot a few inches in the air higher than the other while taking his lead off second base. The ways to very clearly tip pitch location while leading off second are almost limitless. Turn a foot outside or inside..... Open your mouth, close your mouth. Say something ("Come on so and so") or not say something. Touch your helmet with your right hand if it is inside, left hand if it is outside, etc. All of these would be virtually undetectable for the defense to call you out on. This has been going on since, well, since the first runner got to second base in the first game I suppose.

With Molina setting up outside, and then jumping back inside at the last possible moment, the tipping of the pitch location gets tougher to pull off.

As long as the pitcher is not bothered by it, I would like him to do it anytime a runner is on second. I would imagine that Molina saw something to make him think the Phillies were trying to tip the pitch location, and he took action. Good for him!!!

On a more alarming note..... what's with Hersheiser calling out Encarnacion's inability to hit a fastball? He kept saying he was having trouble catching up with anything over 91 MPH or so, and he should not be pitched any off speed pitches, etc. Can the guy really not hit a fastball all that well?

Game three starting in about 30 minutes.... Darn you Fox Sports Midwest Blackout!!! (I live closer to Cincy that to STL, so I get blacked out a lot, but will be able to watch "Poker with the Pros" or some other crap on Fox Sports Ohio without any blackout at all!!!!)
    "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

I'm sorry Stan, the game is about to begin and I'm ready to cheer for my Cards! Marquis vs Lidle, I printed the scorecard and I'm ready to take note of everything! Mlb.tv is not showing me, at the moment, yesterday's highlights...one of my friends told me Albert got a must see Hr!

Enjoy the game...

As for Albert's HR.... it was a letter high fastball that Albert hit really, really well. Not a 400 foot home run, but a no doubt home run from the moment it left his bat. A kid (about 10 or 11 years old?) in a Pujols Jersey got the ball, and the cameras showed him grinning from ear to ear when he his hands on Alberts dinger.

Incredibly, when David Bell hit a 2 Run HR for the Phillies to tie the game late in the contest, the KID's DAD (wearing a Cards Cap) caught the HR. So there they are sitting with w HR balls, enjoying the Cardinals!!! There is another Father-Son Duo sitting in the row behind them (in Phillies Caps).... so the Cardinals Dad and Son give the David Bell HR ball to the Young Phillies fan. Cue camera shots of the Philly Dad shaking the hand of the Cards Dad, and camera shots of both kids grinning from ear to ear.

Classy Cardinal Fans!!!!
    "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Wow! Beatiful! Magic of baseball!
    By the way, it's middle of the fifth and we're up 4-2 with a 4 run fifth inning over Lidle. Rbi for Marquis, Pujols, Rolen and Edmonds and all started with an Hbp on Miles and a Bell's error.

Middle of the seventh, 4-2 Cards. Marquis went for 5.1 innings, he left with 2 runners on and 1 out. Rincon and Hancock made 2 quick outs on Howard and Bell. Hancock is pitching now, we're in bottom of 7th

If Izzy comes in, I bet he'll load the bases again. Knowing him, no runs will score, but he'll still make all us sweat!
    GOT ALBERT?

Unbelievable!!! Izzy went 3 up, 3 down for a 4-2 victory over the Phillies.
    GOT ALBERT?

Good job guys, a 3-0 start with impressive bullpen performance today. Flores looked great, Izzy did a perfect 1-2-3 inning for the save while Hancock and Rincon got 2 key out in the sixth inning! We stopped Rollins streak (0 for 4 today for him) and we had another good performance from Miles, this guy is doing very well, I hope he continues!
    Marquis wins his first game, not a great start from him but a good one. He also contributed with an Rbi, tomorrow we're in Chicago!

First game with the Cubs, first loss...Maddux did a great job and we were only able to avoid the shutout with a solo shot by Edmonds (great shot). Suppan lasted 5.0 innings with 4 runs (1 unearned, it was Eckstein's error on a difficult play), 8 hit, 2 bb and 2 strikeout. Good news from the Bullpen, Looper was in in for two innings with one hit and Wainwright did a good job in the eight inning recording 3 out and no hits. Today there's a great pitching matchup, Carp vs Zambrano...will be a tough one to win!

Encarnacion looked terrible today. He is not a #2 hitter imo.... and can he possibly throw the ball to second base with less than three hops before it gets there?

I know he is our best option in right, and I do hope he plays 150+ games, but he better achieve more than he is right now!!

Stinking Maddux!!!

We're playing now, but mlb.tv is not working well, the audio is 5-6 seconds before the video...terrible!

Second loss to the Cubs, this one was bad! We were up 2-0 and we lost 3-2, Thompson is the loser, he gave up a solo shot to Lee.

Lees good

Lees good Isn't he?
    Last edited by ZR56664; 04-08-2006 at 04:41 PM.
    Can you say S O R I A N O !!!

Lee is very good, but we know that before this game...this is his third straight game with a homer, right?

Albert has been hitless against the Cubs.
    GOT ALBERT?

Izzy gave up a Grand Slam to Barrett after walking 2 . I just don't think he's reliable.

8-4, Cards blew it in the 9th.
    Last edited by Gashouse6; 04-09-2006 at 09:02 PM.
    GOT ALBERT?

Actually, the Cards blew the lead in the 8th. Not that it makes much difference. Going to your closer in the 8th inning is usually not a good idea.

FIRST GAME AT BUSCH STADIUM LINEUPS
    BREWERS
    Clark CF
    Hardy SS
    Jenkins RF
    Lee LF
    Hall 3B
    Weeks 2B
    Fielder 1B
    Miller C
    Ohka P

CARDINALS
    Eckstein SS
    Encarnacion RF
    Pujols 1B
    Edmonds CF
    Rolen 3B
    Taguchi LF
    Molina C
    Miles 2B
    Mulder P

Start of the 6th inning, we lead 4-2 and for now it's a good game to watch!

Going, Going, GONE!!! Pujols with a monster blast in the 3rd! Too bad Bill Hall had to hit the first Busch Stadium homerun ever. If Izzy stays out of it, the Cardinals will probably get the first Busch Stadium win, too.
    GOT ALBERT?

I like Miles, very good double play in the 7th! Man, how beautiful is the new stadium? Awesome! Mulder can go into the 8th!

Mulder!! 2 run shot! 6-2 Cardinals and we're going into the 8th. What a shot Mark!

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast