Thread: Crisp signs 3 year extension

Crisp signs 3 year extension

First Ortiz now Crisp. Coco signed a 3 year deal with option for 2010.
    Good to see Crisp will be staying around for awhile.

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/...=.jsp&c_id=bos

Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxVT92
    First Ortiz now Crisp. Coco signed a 3 year deal with option for 2010.
    Good to see Crisp will be staying around for awhile.

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/...=.jsp&c_id=bos
    Sorry to be the typical pessimist, but didn't the Sox sign someone else to a 3-year extension a few months back? Someone who is now pitching (and hitting) for the Reds? I hope Coco will be around for a while, but don't hold your breath on the term of the contract. Not yet, at least.

2007 World Series Champions
    The Boston Red Sox

Denver, CO (an extension of Red Sox Nation)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashGordon
    Sorry to be the typical pessimist, but didn't the Sox sign someone else to a 3-year extension a few months back? Someone who is now pitching (and hitting) for the Reds? I hope Coco will be around for a while, but don't hold your breath on the term of the contract. Not yet, at least.
    Different situation, IMO. Starting pitching was at a surplus (if that can ever be true), and the same can't be true with our outfielders.

Quote Originally Posted by pesky6
    Different situation, IMO. Starting pitching was at a surplus (if that can ever be true), and the same can't be true with our outfielders.
    That and also Crisp could end up being a great player and is only 26. Wicked fast, plays good defense and will probably hit a high average. Arroyo on the other hand was not really a great player (around a 4.00 era) and a bit older(not by much though) Crisp could become one of the top outfielders in the league while Arroyo was just a number 7 starter.

I'm just saying that contracts aren't a guarantee that he'll be around for all that long. Renteria was also considered a young, up-and-comer who didn't last very long. And yes, I do recognize that the team needs were very different. Then again, if Stern and Peña work out, Crisp could be the fresh meat on the block.

The Boston Red Sox

I'm surprised Coco would sign the deal, most people wait a year, boost their stats and therefore their value. Wonder how much he got.
    "As I grew up, I knew that as a building (Fenway Park) was on the level of Mount Olympus, the Pyramid at Giza, the nation's capitol, the czar's Winter Palace, and the Louvre — except, of course, that is better than all those inconsequential places." - Bart Giamatti

You go through The Sporting News of the last 100 years and you will find two things are always true. You never have enough pitchers, and nobody ever made money.
    -Don Fehr

I'm just saying that contracts aren't a guarantee that he'll be around for all that long. Renteria was also considered a young, up-and-comer who didn't last very long.
    10 years in the league and still a young up and comer? You are about the only person who thought that about him.

do you know anything about baseball? Most of your posts just seem like your talking out your ass. It's all different circumstances. Crisp is our leadoff man and CF'er that people already love.

Nice to see the team locking up a few key guys, especially a young guy like Crisp. This will give the team some payroll stability (no surprise arbitration awards) and gives Crisp some stability.

I figure Beckett is next, with Pena coming if/when he proves he can be an everyday player.
    Visit my new card scan site at Baseball Card Scans.

View my autograph collection at Mike D's TTM Page.

I'd definetely like to see them lock Beckett up for a while. I hope they do. I definetely don't want him to go anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager
    I'd definetely like to see them lock Beckett up for a while. I hope they do. I definetely don't want him to go anywhere.
    I'm sure that's the plan.

He's under the team's control for another couple years at least (not sure exactly how many), but I think they'd love to sign him to a multi-year deal, buying out the rest of his arbitration years and the first couple free agent seasons.

Beckett seems to like Boston so far, a good sign. Just a matter of them being able to agree on years and dollars. Time will tell!
    Visit my new card scan site at Baseball Card Scans.

View my autograph collection at Mike D's TTM Page.

He's playing for a big contract this year, and the team will give it to him. They would be criminal not to.
    Last edited by efin98; 04-12-2006 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxVT92
    That and also Crisp could end up being a great player and is only 26. Wicked fast, plays good defense and will probably hit a high average. Arroyo on the other hand was not really a great player (around a 4.00 era) and a bit older(not by much though) Crisp could become one of the top outfielders in the league while Arroyo was just a number 7 starter.
    Arroyo is a solid starting pitcher, hardly "a number 7 starter."
    BOSTON RED SOX WORLD CHAMPIONS 1903 • 1912 • 1915 • 1916 • 1918 •2004 • 2007

do you know anything about baseball? Most of your posts just seem like your talking out your ass. It's all different circumstances. Crisp is our leadoff man and CF'er that people already love.
    Is this post about me? If so I take extreme offense and if not whoever you wrote that about should take offense and I don't think the mods should allow you to denegrate people and their opinions that are just as valid as yours.
    "As I grew up, I knew that as a building (Fenway Park) was on the level of Mount Olympus, the Pyramid at Giza, the nation's capitol, the czar's Winter Palace, and the Louvre — except, of course, that is better than all those inconsequential places." - Bart Giamatti

You go through The Sporting News of the last 100 years and you will find two things are always true. You never have enough pitchers, and nobody ever made money.
    -Don Fehr

Quote Originally Posted by efin98
    10 years in the league and still a young up and comer? You are about the only person who thought that about him.
    Fair enough, although he certainly had the age advantage over Cabrera (and a slight one over Nomar).

The Boston Red Sox

No I was referring to this post. He then went on in his next post to say that Renteria was good "young up and comer". Yes Renteria the 10 year veteran. lol. Take offense if you want, but go back and read most of his posts and most of them don't make sense.

No I was referring to this post. He then went on in his next post to say that Renteria was good "young up and comer". Yes Renteria the 10 year veteran. lol. Take offense if you want, but go back and read most of his posts and most of them don't make sense.
    This coming from someone who advocates Tim Wakefield as a Hall of Famer.
    There's a reason why he's a moderator. I wouldn't challenge him on baseball knowledge if I were you.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin JEDI

Sorry, I'm writing a dissertation these days and can't spend endless hours of my life poring over a fantasy league sheet to nit-pick over minutiae. And the reason I'm a mod isn't because I proclaim a vast knowledge of baseball; it's because I'm civil towards others and save the personal jabs for PM, avoiding them whenever possible. If you don't agree with what I say, that's fine. But unless you really want me to rip you a new one, I'd suggest toning it down.

The Boston Red Sox

Crisp makes $2.75 this year. The extension call for $15M for 2007-2009. The 2010 option year calls for another $8M or a $500K buyout. Thus the Red Sox have locked up Crisp for his age 26-29 seasons for $18.25M. Seems like a reasonable price for a non-star regular outfielder.
    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Crisp has been our starter for 8 games. There are still 144 left to go. If you have some magic crystal ball to see into the future, then please tell me what the next Power Ball numbers are. We've seen the Red Sox organization (and their fans) turn on a dime regarding players of greater abilities. Today it's a fractured knuckle, tomorrow a groin pull. Part of bringing in players with potential is that until they really start racking up the numbers, it is only that--potential. Fenway Park and Yankee Stadium have destroyed the confidence of many a young player. I'm hopeful he'll fit in nicely and make for a smooth transition in a post-Damon era, but I'm not going to slap the franchise tag on him just because the fans like the sound of his name.

The Boston Red Sox

Crisp has been our starter for 8 games. There are still 144 left to go. If you have some magic crystal ball to see into the future, then please tell me what the next Power Ball numbers are. We've seen the Red Sox organization (and their fans) turn on a dime regarding players of greater abilities. Today it's a fractured knuckle, tomorrow a groin pull. Part of bringing in players with potential is that until they really start racking up the numbers, it is only that--potential. Fenway Park and Yankee Stadium have destroyed the confidence of many a young player. I'm hopeful he'll fit in nicely and make for a smooth transition in a post-Damon era, but I'm not going to slap the franchise tag on him just because the fans like the sound of his name.
    Its not on potential. He's a good CF'er/leadoff man anyways. He has always wanted to play in Boston, and thats not just something he said after he got traded either. His numbers have gotten better each year he's been playing. He's 26 and he's almost where Damon was anyways. I'm not saying that Crisp is going to bat .350, but even if he doesn't improve he'll still be a good leadoff man and CF'er. He has great speed, and a slightly better arm than Damon. I'm not saying he's going to be the best ever, but compared to Damon he's close to a wash. He has a very good personality, and he relishes the chance to play in Boston.

Denver, CO (an extension of Red Sox Nation)
    Regardless of whether or not they make sense, at least he's not as rude as you are.

Its not on potential. He's a good CF'er/leadoff man anyways. He has always wanted to play in Boston, and thats not just something he said after he got traded either. His numbers have gotten better each year he's been playing. He's 26 and he's almost where Damon was anyways. I'm not saying that Crisp is going to bat .350, but even if he doesn't improve he'll still be a good leadoff man and CF'er. He has great speed, and a slightly better arm than Damon. I'm not saying he's going to be the best ever, but compared to Damon he's close to a wash. He has a very good personality, and he relishes the chance to play in Boston.
    A "good" player often becomes trade-bait when a "great" player from another team becomes a FA. All I've been saying is that a 3-year extension doesn't mean anything more than his salary over then next 3-years is a known quantity. The only player I believe will see the full 3-years in a Sox uniform is David Ortiz. Give Coco at least a full season before predicting he'll be here through 2008.

The Boston Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by KCGHOST
    Crisp makes $2.75 this year. The extension call for $15M for 2007-2009. The 2010 option year calls for another $8M or a $500K buyout. Thus the Red Sox have locked up Crisp for his age 26-29 seasons for $18.25M. Seems like a reasonable price for a non-star regular outfielder.
    A CF is much more valuable than a typical "non-star regular" outfielder (all other things being equal). If he plays as well as he has the last two years, he'll be a huge bargain. Given his age, he may do much better than that.
    BOSTON RED SOX WORLD CHAMPIONS 1903 • 1912 • 1915 • 1916 • 1918 •2004 • 2007