Thread: 1990 Baseball Hall of Fame Group Portrait

1990 Baseball Hall of Fame Group Portrait

1990 Baseball Hall of Fame Group Portrait
    ~ 25 Years Ago In Cooperstown, while we await today's voting results...
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's a wonderful photo! Thanks for sharing it, BSmile.
    "They've got a good ballclub; that guy Ruth is always tough, but he isn't going to get many good balls to hit. The only pitchers they have who will bother us are Pennock and Hoyt. But we can take them -- just as we took the best in the National League. And no matter what the score is, we're going to keep fighting and hustling." --- Cardinals MGR Rogers Hornsby before the 1926 World Series.

Quote Originally Posted by Herr28 View Post
    That's a wonderful photo! Thanks for sharing it, BSmile.
    No problem Herr28! I figured it was a good day to post it...

That is very cool. Did you take it yourself? It looks like something someone might have snapped at the HOF.

Very cool to see someone who was born in the 19th century (Chandler).

Blog Entries
    Where's Dimaggio?

Did they refuse to put him front and center holding a sign that says "Greatest Living Player"?
    Most Underrated:Al Simmons, Keith Hernandez, Carlos Beltran
    Most Overrated: Kirby Puckett, Catfish Hunter, Jack Morris
    Most Overrated for being "Underrated": Bobby Grich, Gene Tenace, Alan Trammell
    Most Underrated for being "Overrated": Roberto Clemente, Derek Jeter, Cal Ripken Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    Where's Dimaggio?

Did they refuse to put him front and center holding a sign that says "Greatest Living Player"?

Hahaha...AND they had the gall not to pay him!

Great photo, thanks. A few things jump out - Ted Williams still won't wear a tie, and my guy Charlie Gehringer still looking dour and Mechanical!
    "How could you play ball in a cell?"

"Well, we'll bunt a lot."

Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for three days (baseball signatures only!)

Quote Originally Posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post
    Great photo, thanks. A few things jump out - Ted Williams still won't wear a tie, and my guy Charlie Gehringer still looking dour and Mechanical!
    Yeah, I thought the same about Gehringer. It was nice seeing him in this picture. It looks like Willie McCovey, Jim Palmer and Billy Williams could still put on a uniform and play when that picture was taken!
    "They've got a good ballclub; that guy Ruth is always tough, but he isn't going to get many good balls to hit. The only pitchers they have who will bother us are Pennock and Hoyt. But we can take them -- just as we took the best in the National League. And no matter what the score is, we're going to keep fighting and hustling." --- Cardinals MGR Rogers Hornsby before the 1926 World Series.

Palmer had only been retired 6-7 years at that point.

I was wondering where Ronnie Woo-Woo Wickers was and if he snuck into that photo.
    "How could you play ball in a cell?"

"Well, we'll bunt a lot."

Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for three days (baseball signatures only!)

Palmer had only been retired 6-7 years at that point.

I was wondering where Ronnie Woo-Woo Wickers was and if he snuck into that photo.
    He had also recently (at that point) thought about a comeback during spring training. I can't remember now if that was in 1988 or 1989, I don't think it was 1990 but with my memory it could've been.

He had also recently (at that point) thought about a comeback during spring training. I can't remember now if that was in 1988 or 1989, I don't think it was 1990 but with my memory it could've been.
    I was thinking it was 1991. If I recall correctly, it was after he was inducted in 1990.

Quote Originally Posted by hairmetalfreek View Post
    I was thinking it was 1991. If I recall correctly, it was after he was inducted in 1990.
    You are right, because I do remember some guy on TV saying that if Palmer was successful they would have to remove him from the Hall once he played again for the Orioles. That would have been nuts, to see a guy get into the Hall then be taken out when he pitched again. Then, he would have to wait another 5 years to get voted back in!

No Mantle, Ford or Catfish Hunter either...were the Yankees having Old Timers Day that weekend or something (this was when Berra was still in his self-imposed exile).

Also no Aaron or Mays, or the 1989 HOFers Bench and Yaz either.

You are right, because I do remember some guy on TV saying that if Palmer was successful they would have to remove him from the Hall once he played again for the Orioles. That would have been nuts, to see a guy get into the Hall then be taken out when he pitched again. Then, he would have to wait another 5 years to get voted back in!
    Guy LaFleur was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1988, then came out of retirement to play for another three years.

Ted Williams still won't wear a tie
    Yeah, I noticed that immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJRogers View Post
    No Mantle, Ford or Catfish Hunter either...were the Yankees having Old Timers Day that weekend or something (this was when Berra was still in his self-imposed exile).

Also no Aaron or Mays, or the 1989 HOFers Bench and Yaz either.
    I don't think Mick ever came back after '74. Koufax and Frank Robby (who was managing the O's at the time) also absent.
    3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

“On an historically great pitching staff, when healthy and starting, he was, actually, The Man.” - Peter Gammons on Hall Of Famer John Smoltz

A few things jump out - Ted Williams still won't wear a tie...
    "...you don't need to wear a tie if you can hit."
    "Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson, Esquire (March 1, 1978)