Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: 1990 Baseball Hall of Fame Group Portrait

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northeast US
    Posts
    5,010

    1990 Baseball Hall of Fame Group Portrait

    1990 Baseball Hall of Fame Group Portrait
    ~ 25 Years Ago In Cooperstown, while we await today's voting results...
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Second Base
    Posts
    15,940
    That's a wonderful photo! Thanks for sharing it, BSmile.
    "I thought Maris was the one guy we needed. He was a complete player who could field, throw and run." Whitey Ford

    "[Roger Maris] played hard and played hurt and was one of the fastest guys in baseball. Roger was a great player and I was glad he was coming to New York." Johnny Blanchard

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northeast US
    Posts
    5,010
    Quote Originally Posted by Herr28 View Post
    That's a wonderful photo! Thanks for sharing it, BSmile.
    No problem Herr28! I figured it was a good day to post it...

  4. #4
    That is very cool. Did you take it yourself? It looks like something someone might have snapped at the HOF.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    199
    Very cool to see someone who was born in the 19th century (Chandler).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Rockland County, NY
    Posts
    14,246
    Blog Entries
    5
    Where's Dimaggio?

    Did they refuse to put him front and center holding a sign that says "Greatest Living Player"?
    Most Underrated:Al Simmons, Keith Hernandez, Carlos Beltran
    Most Overrated: Kirby Puckett, Catfish Hunter, Jack Morris
    Most Overrated for being "Underrated": Bobby Grich, Gene Tenace, Alan Trammell
    Most Underrated for being "Overrated": Roberto Clemente, Derek Jeter, Cal Ripken Jr.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northeast US
    Posts
    5,010
    Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    Where's Dimaggio?

    Did they refuse to put him front and center holding a sign that says "Greatest Living Player"?

    Hahaha...AND they had the gall not to pay him!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,598
    Great photo, thanks. A few things jump out - Ted Williams still won't wear a tie, and my guy Charlie Gehringer still looking dour and Mechanical!
    "They say Cub fans are supposed to be behind you, and they're ripping everything we do. I hope we get hotter than * just to stuff those people. If they're the real Chicago Cubs fans, they can kiss my * * right downtown. Those * don't even work. Eighty-five percent of the country is working, and the other fifteen percent is out here. " -- Lee Elia, Cubs manager, 1983

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S0CDtEz_Bo PG-13

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Second Base
    Posts
    15,940
    Quote Originally Posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post
    Great photo, thanks. A few things jump out - Ted Williams still won't wear a tie, and my guy Charlie Gehringer still looking dour and Mechanical!
    Yeah, I thought the same about Gehringer. It was nice seeing him in this picture. It looks like Willie McCovey, Jim Palmer and Billy Williams could still put on a uniform and play when that picture was taken!
    "I thought Maris was the one guy we needed. He was a complete player who could field, throw and run." Whitey Ford

    "[Roger Maris] played hard and played hurt and was one of the fastest guys in baseball. Roger was a great player and I was glad he was coming to New York." Johnny Blanchard

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,598
    Palmer had only been retired 6-7 years at that point.

    I was wondering where Ronnie Woo-Woo Wickers was and if he snuck into that photo.
    "They say Cub fans are supposed to be behind you, and they're ripping everything we do. I hope we get hotter than * just to stuff those people. If they're the real Chicago Cubs fans, they can kiss my * * right downtown. Those * don't even work. Eighty-five percent of the country is working, and the other fifteen percent is out here. " -- Lee Elia, Cubs manager, 1983

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S0CDtEz_Bo PG-13

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Second Base
    Posts
    15,940
    Quote Originally Posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post
    Palmer had only been retired 6-7 years at that point.

    I was wondering where Ronnie Woo-Woo Wickers was and if he snuck into that photo.
    He had also recently (at that point) thought about a comeback during spring training. I can't remember now if that was in 1988 or 1989, I don't think it was 1990 but with my memory it could've been.
    "I thought Maris was the one guy we needed. He was a complete player who could field, throw and run." Whitey Ford

    "[Roger Maris] played hard and played hurt and was one of the fastest guys in baseball. Roger was a great player and I was glad he was coming to New York." Johnny Blanchard

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Herr28 View Post
    He had also recently (at that point) thought about a comeback during spring training. I can't remember now if that was in 1988 or 1989, I don't think it was 1990 but with my memory it could've been.
    I was thinking it was 1991. If I recall correctly, it was after he was inducted in 1990.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Second Base
    Posts
    15,940
    Quote Originally Posted by hairmetalfreek View Post
    I was thinking it was 1991. If I recall correctly, it was after he was inducted in 1990.
    You are right, because I do remember some guy on TV saying that if Palmer was successful they would have to remove him from the Hall once he played again for the Orioles. That would have been nuts, to see a guy get into the Hall then be taken out when he pitched again. Then, he would have to wait another 5 years to get voted back in!
    "I thought Maris was the one guy we needed. He was a complete player who could field, throw and run." Whitey Ford

    "[Roger Maris] played hard and played hurt and was one of the fastest guys in baseball. Roger was a great player and I was glad he was coming to New York." Johnny Blanchard

  14. #14
    No Mantle, Ford or Catfish Hunter either...were the Yankees having Old Timers Day that weekend or something (this was when Berra was still in his self-imposed exile).

    Also no Aaron or Mays, or the 1989 HOFers Bench and Yaz either.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Herr28 View Post
    You are right, because I do remember some guy on TV saying that if Palmer was successful they would have to remove him from the Hall once he played again for the Orioles. That would have been nuts, to see a guy get into the Hall then be taken out when he pitched again. Then, he would have to wait another 5 years to get voted back in!
    Guy LaFleur was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1988, then came out of retirement to play for another three years.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,680
    Quote Originally Posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post
    Ted Williams still won't wear a tie
    Yeah, I noticed that immediately.

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJRogers View Post
    No Mantle, Ford or Catfish Hunter either...were the Yankees having Old Timers Day that weekend or something (this was when Berra was still in his self-imposed exile).

    Also no Aaron or Mays, or the 1989 HOFers Bench and Yaz either.
    I don't think Mick ever came back after '74. Koufax and Frank Robby (who was managing the O's at the time) also absent.
    3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47


  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Above the 49th parrallel
    Posts
    1,082
    Quote Originally Posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post
    A few things jump out - Ted Williams still won't wear a tie...
    "...you don't need to wear a tie if you can hit."
    "Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson, Esquire (March 1, 1978)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •