1 3.13%
  • No

25 78.13%
  • Maybe

6 18.75%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moises Alou

Question Moises Alou

Does he deserve to be In or Out of Hall of Fame?

I can think of 40 current Major League Baseball players that are more deserving to get a HOF glance.

No Chance!

Interesting... never ever considered him as a candidate for the HOF

Maybe the Chicago Cubs Hall of Fame. It's got to be a pretty empty place.
    "Where have you gone Joe DiMaggio, a nation turns its lonely eyes to you. What's that you say Mrs. Robinson? Joltin' Joe has left and gone away. Hey hey hey."

Alou is already a member of the "People Who Urinate On Their Hands Hall of Fame", why in the world would he want to go to Cooperstown?
    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

this may be true, but where does that put mark mcgwire?

Quote Originally Posted by jared_dechantigny10

In Cooperstown. What in the world to Mark McGwire and Moises Alou have in common as ballplayers? Alou has a career 127 OPS+, McGwire has a 163. They're not remotely similar ballplayers, with McGwire being far superior.
    "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Even if the steroid cases get disqualified, Alou has done nothing to warrant a close look. He's put up good numbers. But the Hall of Fame is not about good numbers. Nothing he has done distinguished himself from his contemporaries to the point of immortality.
    Who's next? Andy Van Slyke?
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    JEDI

McGwire doesn't deserve Cooperstown because his most valuable HOF credentials (obviously Homeruns) were influenced by steroids. Alou doesn't deserve enshrinement because,well, he is NO WHERE NEAR good enough. Even steroids wouldn't have gotten Alou to Cooperstown.

C'mon dude, that kind of post is the bbf eqivalent of "So's your mother". Alou and McGwire must be looked at individually, just like every ballplayer who is up for election.
    Alou's most famous moment in his entire career involved Steve Bartman. He's a good player and certainly admirable in that he came back to play in the bigs after a broken thigh bone. Not an easy injury to rehab from.
    I'd say put Bartman in the hall, then consider Alou.
    Will there big any big celebrations in Chicago in 3 years when it becomes 100 years since the Cubs won the World Series? Something to look forward to! As well, in 2017 we can celebrate 100 years since the White Sox won and then in 2019 we can have Pete Rose emcee the celebration of the 100th anniversary of the Black Sox!!!
    "Where have you gone Joe DiMaggio, a nation turns its lonely eyes to you. What's that you say Mrs. Robinson? Joltin' Joe has left and gone away. Hey hey hey."

Moises is not even the best Alou to play Major League Baseball IMHO.

ala NO CHANCE!

I can defintely see how Alou wouldn't be considered a Hall of Famer after hearing other's opinions but what exactly qualifies a person. I was watching ESPN and they said Jeff Kent was a definate HOFer. Does the position they play have alot to do with credentials?

I can defintely see how Alou wouldn't be considered a Hall of Famer after hearing other's opinions but what exactly qualifies a person. I was watching ESPN and they said Jeff Kent was a definate HOFer. Does the position they play have alot to do with credentials?
    Of course!!! If Kent had the same numbers and was an outfielder, Kent wouldn't have any shot at the HoF. Alou as a HoFer is a big stretch. Jim Edmonds has a much much stronger HoF case

Quote Originally Posted by Honus Wagner Rules
    Jim Edmonds has a much much stronger HoF case...
    ....and Larry Walker,
    ....and Steve Finley,
    ....and Manny Ramirez,
    ....and Barry Bonds,
    ....and Ken Griffey Jr.,
    ....and Sammy Sosa,
    ....and Ichiro Suzuki,
    ....and Bernie Williams,
    ....and Gary Sheffield,
    ....and Kenny Lofton,
    ....and Ellis Burks,
    ....and Bobby Abreu,
    ....and Brian Giles,
    ....and Vladimir Guerrero,
    ....and Magglio Ordonez,
    ....and Shawn Green,
    ....and Marquis Grissom,
    ....and Ruben Sierra,
    ....and Luis Gonzalez,
    ....and Tim Salmon,
    ....and Garret Anderson,
    ....and Ray Lankford.......

....and those are just comparable (and, mostly, better) outfielders!

The point being....Alou's accomplishments, though noteworthy, are merely uncommon; not rare enough for consideration to the Hall of Fame.

Alou is 26th among all active players in runs created. One RC more than Todd Zeilie has in his career. That's not what I'd call Cooperstown credentials.
    "The value of a stat is directly proportional to how good it makes Steve Garvey look." -- Nerdlinger

Does he deserve to be In or Out of Hall of Fame?
    Moises Alou in HOF?

He would need to play another 7 or so years
    Have 5 of those years equal what he did in 1998 & 2000
    Average 33 homers for 7 more years so he would have 500
    Couldnt have another year like 1999
    continue to play well with the glove (49 errors in 13 years)
    or
    Manage like his dad and win 100 games for a club for like 5 straight years
    and win a few WS.
    or
    They change the rules and add together his father and uncles stats
    In that case yes...vote him in

But in baseball as we all should know....nothing is impossible.

_______________________________________________-
    Joe Charboneau was a member of the New York Knights in "The Natural"..he also was the Rookie of the Year in the AL in 1980....so nothing is impossible.

Blog Entries
    Moises Alou is a good ballplayer, sometimes very good. He does not have the resume necessary to be a serious HOF candidate.

He is a corner OF with
    1. Under 2000 hits.
    2. Under 300 HR.
    3. Unnoteworthy defense.
    4. Unexceptional baserunning.
    5. A .300 career BA that likely will not survive his decline phase.

Just no case to be made here.

To be fair here, though, Alou will have put up much better numbers, by the end of his career, than you would believe from some of the previous posts here. Is he Hall worthy? No, but he deserves more credit than he's getting. Barring a career ending injury, he should wind up with 300+ HRs, 1000+ RBI, 1000+ runs scored, 5 100+ RBI seasons, and a batting average around .300. That certainly doesn't make him a Hall of Famer, but he is far from being a bum either. If he plays five more seasons at an All-Star caliber level, then we can start to talk about Cooperstown.

Quote Originally Posted by ballparks
    Maybe the Chicago Cubs Hall of Fame. It's got to be a pretty empty place.
    Hmmmmmm..... must be new to baseball? Here are a few off the top of my head:

Ernie Banks
    Ron Santo
    Billy Williams
    Andre Dawson
    Three Finger Brown
    Ryne Sandberg
    Fergy Jenkins
    Phil Cavaretta
    Bruce Sutter
    Lee Smith
    Samy Sosa
    Mark Grace
    Don Kessinger
    Rick Suttcliffe
    Joe Tinker-to-Evers-to-Chance
    Hack Wilson

...to name a few....
    Die-hard Cubs fan 27 years and counting....this Buds for me!
    The DeeLee-o-Meter >>--->--->> .387 avg | 23 HRs | 65 RBIs | 10 swipes!

Quote Originally Posted by STLCards2
    McGwire doesn't deserve Cooperstown because his most valuable HOF credentials (obviously Homeruns) were influenced by steroids.
    You have the fictive urine sample that proves this, of course?

Quote Originally Posted by Cubs_all_the_way
    Hmmmmmm..... must be new to baseball? Here are a few off the top of my head:

Ernie Banks
    Ron Santo
    Billy Williams
    Andre Dawson
    Three Finger Brown
    Ryne Sandberg
    Fergy Jenkins
    Phil Cavaretta
    Bruce Sutter
    Lee Smith
    Samy Sosa
    Mark Grace
    Don Kessinger
    Rick Suttcliffe
    Joe Tinker-to-Evers-to-Chance
    Hack Wilson

...to name a few....
    Wow, where to start on this one.
    Let's begin with the word futility.
    So, in 103 years as a franchise, that would be a total of 9 that actually made the real hall. Of those, strong arguments can be made that at least 4 of them have no business being in Cooperstown (a la Tinker, Evers, Chance and Wilson). Miner Brown reasonable, Ernie Banks for sure. Billy Williams, Fergie Jenkins & Ryne Sandberg are borderline. Santo is borderline as well but on the uninducted side. Dawson spent most of his career with the Expos, and only 6/21 years in Chicago. Mark Grace won his only World Series in Arizona after jumping ship from loserland. Sutcliffe was 82-71 as a Cub. Sammy Sosa never did steroids. No of course not, he's all natural. What a hero he is. That sudden surge in strength was all from hard work. He's not a phony at all. No way. Bruce Sutter as I recall saved just about as many games with the Cardinals as the Cubs and won a World Series in St. Louis. You have heard of the Cardinals, right? Yeah, they're the ones that have beat up on the Cubs for the past 100 years. Lee Smith had only about 35% of his career saves as a Cub. Cavaretta and Kessinger?! Impressive - that's realllllllly grasping for straws, but I guess that's what Cubs fans do best, cuz there's nothing else of substance to grasp, unless of course, you're Steve Bartman.
    So, I guess I can't be THAT new to baseball if I can fully recognize the futility and sense of loss that Cubs fans must endure on a daily basis. Ironically, the best thing that the Cubs ever had, Harry Carry, is also from St. Louis.

Quote Originally Posted by ballparks
    Wow, where to start on this one.
    Let's begin with the word futility.
    So, in 103 years as a franchise, that would be a total of 9 that actually made the real hall. Of those, strong arguments can be made that at least 4 of them have no business being in Cooperstown (a la Tinker, Evers, Chance and Wilson). Miner Brown reasonable, Ernie Banks for sure. Billy Williams, Fergie Jenkins & Ryne Sandberg are borderline. Santo is borderline as well but on the uninducted side. Dawson spent most of his career with the Expos, and only 6/21 years in Chicago. Mark Grace won his only World Series in Arizona after jumping ship from loserland. Sutcliffe was 82-71 as a Cub. Sammy Sosa never did steroids. No of course not, he's all natural. What a hero he is. That sudden surge in strength was all from hard work. He's not a phony at all. No way. Bruce Sutter as I recall saved just about as many games with the Cardinals as the Cubs and won a World Series in St. Louis. You have heard of the Cardinals, right? Yeah, they're the ones that have beat up on the Cubs for the past 100 years. Lee Smith had only about 35% of his career saves as a Cub. Cavaretta and Kessinger?! Impressive - that's realllllllly grasping for straws, but I guess that's what Cubs fans do best, cuz there's nothing else of substance to grasp, unless of course, you're Steve Bartman.
    So, I guess I can't be THAT new to baseball if I can fully recognize the futility and sense of loss that Cubs fans must endure on a daily basis. Ironically, the best thing that the Cubs ever had, Harry Carry, is also from St. Louis.
    As much as I relish in the Cubs 100 years of baseball futility, I would not consider Jenkins, Sandberg, or Williams to be boarderline. Brown was much more than reasonable as well. That being said, here's to another 96 years of Championship drought!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NationalPastime1980
    Moises is not even the best Alou to play Major League Baseball IMHO.

ala NO CHANCE!
    While Alou should not be in the HOF he is the best player in the Alou family. He was a truly great 4 tool player. He could do everything well. If not for many injuries he might have had a hall of fame career.

Under the Knickerbocker beer sign at the Polo Grounds

Moises Alou

Does he have a chance?

Alou has done the most of any player since 1998 to project himself toward the HOF. What I mean by this is that at the end of 1997, Alou did not have any realistic chance of making the HOF. Since then, he's had the kind of career that MIGHT get him in the HOF.

Alou has a .301 lifetime BA. That looks a whole lot better than .299, and it may slip, but he's keeping it up this year. He just reached 300 HRs. He was an old rookie (26), and he missed all of 1999 with injury, but (remarkably) he's still going, and going well. He's the Giant's best player this year, remarkable considering that Bonds is still there (for now). He's about to reach the 2,000 hit level, and while that doesn't put you in the HOF, it is a remarkable total for a guy who started as late as Alou did, and who missed time to injuries. In addition, Alou has played in mostly pitcher's parks during his career.

Injuries have hurt Alou, but I'll say this: I cannot think of a single player who has suffered the kind of major injuries that Alou has suffered miss time, then come back as strong as before.

Can he make the HOF? What does he have to do, if he's not really there yet?
    "I do not care if half the league strikes. Those who do it will encounter quick retribution. All will be suspended and I don't care if it wrecks the National League for five years. This is the United States of America and one citizen has as much right to play as another. The National League will go down the line with Robinson whatever the consequences. You will find if you go through with your intention that you have been guilty of complete madness."

NL President Ford Frick, 1947

--Very good player (better than I realized before checking his numbers just now), but one without a run of seasons where he really stood out from the crowd. 300 HR isn't going to impress many people in this era and sqeaking over 2,000 hits isn't exacting going to endear him to career voters either. Virtually no chance IMO. He'll be doing good to have a few years drawing enough support to stay on the ballot.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast