• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jalbright
    Researcher/advocate/mod
    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Bravesfan1984 View Post
    I may be wrong sometimes but please I am right more then 90 percent of the time. I have made good points before. You need to stop being a troll.
    I don't think you've made anywhere near enough good points to entitle you (of all people!!!) to call anyone a troll.
    Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
    Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
    A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

• Bravesfan1984
      • Jun 2008

If I was a troll I would have been gone a long time agol

Comment

• highpockets
        • Jun 2008

BF, I admire you for persisting in the face of almost universal rejection of your views. But I have to wonder what you are getting out of it.

I come here mostly to learn--sure, sometimes to show off a bit, but mostly to learn. And I'm grateful for all my fellow posters have taught me--especially about statistics and the early history of baseball. I know I'm not alone in this; similar comments are common on this board.

As a college teacher, I'm baffled by students who refuse to learn. "I'm going to come to class and hand in assignments, but I'm not going to pay attention or put in any effort, and you can't make me." I understand the attitude, but not the inability to recognize their own self-interest.

There really is a body of knowledge of player evaluation--some of it in dispute, much of it incomplete--but growing rapidly, and by no means just opinion. A lot of smart people have worked a long time to develop it, and this forum is an excellent source of that new knowledge: It's often presented in forms understandable to new people, with resources for further learning.

I think if the level of conflict here were ramped down a bit, it would be easier for you to take part in this collective effort and for you--and us--to profit more by your time and efforts here.

Here's my take on why attacks on ideas are OK here but personal attacks are not: It's not a question of hurt feelings. I can assure you that a lengthy, enthusiastic, and accurate attack on one's pet theory hurts much more than being called a troll or a buffoon. But calling someone names does not move the discussion forward, does not contribute to knowledge. An accurate attack on erroneous ideas does bring us closer to a better understanding, so the only thing to do is gulp and take it. And continue to contribute.

Many posters here have shown a remarkable willingness to engage your ideas before losing patience with your evasions of theirs. I'm sure their attitude towards you would change if you, in turn, took what they wrote as seriously as they took what you wrote.

Comment

• RuthMayBond
          Out in LF (Bartman of BBF
          • Jan 2004

I may be wrong sometimes but please I am right more then 90 percent of the time.
          Why not just call it 100%?
          Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
          Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

• White Knight
            Join Zap!
            • Jul 2007

You are definitely not a troll, but I think you are wrong about Mussina. Do you still think he shouldn't go to the HOF, even if he has 300 wins?
            Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

Comment

• Bravesfan1984
              • Jun 2008

Originally posted by White Knight View Post
              You are definitely not a troll, but I think you are wrong about Mussina. Do you still think he shouldn't go to the HOF, even if he has 300 wins?
              I have changed my view about this so yes if he gets to 300 he deserves to be there 100 percent.

Comment

• RuthMayBond
                Out in LF (Bartman of BBF
                • Jan 2004

I have changed my view about this so yes if he gets to 300 he deserves to be there 100 percent.
                that puts you at only 50% right for your last two
                Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
                Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

• Cougar
                  • Jan 2003

What about 299 wins?

Comment

• Mike90
                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Cougar View Post
                    What about 299 wins?
                    299 wins and no Cy Young?! It's called the Hall of Fame (HOF) not the Hall of Pitchers Who Have Neither Won 300 games nor a Cy Young (HOPWHNW300GNACY)! 300 wins would be different of course.

Comment

• Honus Wagner Rules
                      xFIP?! I laugh at you!
                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Mike90 View Post
                      299 wins and no Cy Young?! It's called the Hall of Fame (HOF) not the Hall of Pitchers Who Have Neither Won 300 games nor a Cy Young (HOPWHNW300GNACY)! 300 wins would be different of course.
                      I'll have to use that one day...
                      Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

• Cougar
                        • Jan 2003

Um, okay, how about 299 wins, a save, and a stolen base while pinch running in an extra inning game?

Comment

• Mike90
                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Cougar View Post
                          Um, okay, how about 299 wins, a save, and a stolen base while pinch running in an extra inning game?
                          If he's a gamer, then he's IN.

Comment

• Captain Cold Nose
                            OSHA-certified Moderator
                            • Jan 2000

Originally posted by Mike90 View Post
                            If he's a gamer, then he's IN.
                            He's a big fan of Axis and Allies.
                            Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                            Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                            Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                            Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                            Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

• Mike90
                              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
                              He's a big fan of Axis and Allies.
                              I don't get it. Reference to WWII?

Comment

• SamtheBravesFan