• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mattingly
    Yankee fan & proud of it!
    • Feb 2003

Bill Madden interviews "Boss" George

One of my all-time favorite Yankee columnists, and one who's been covering sports for close to 30 years. Here he discusses George Steinbrenner from the beginning to present of his views and thoughts on the New York Yankee team that he owns! :gt

'I've had a lot of
    good people with
    me the whole time.'
    - George Steinbrenner

George Steinbrenner
    (l.) with Joe Torre

How Boss' ship came in--Yanks owner polished diamond in rough
    George Steinbrenner is on a billion-dollar high - and can you blame him?

In a rare exclusive interview, the Yankee Boss told the Daily News he is both "gratified" and "humbled" at the Yankees becoming the first baseball team to be worth $1 billion according to the latest financial team evaluations by Forbes magazine. Not bad for an original investment of $8.7 million.

"This is all very gratifying," Steinbrenner said by phone from Tampa. "I'm truly humbled. I've been very lucky in life, and more than anything this is the product of surrounding yourself with good people. That's always been my philosophy. I've had a lot of good people with me the whole time."

In January 1973, Steinbrenner, a shipbuilding magnate from Cleveland, and his group of investors paid CBS $10 million for the Yankees, but, as he explained it, the sale price dropped to $8.7 million when CBS bought back a couple of parking garages. At the time, the Yankees were at about the lowest ebb in franchise history. CBS had allowed the scouting and player development system to deteriorate, while the team, which had dominated baseball from 1921-64, plummeted to mediocrity and worse, with season attendances of barely 1 million.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X