Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Follow the Dodgers Theme Song

Quote Originally Posted by I talk to myself
    The Baseballrecordings.com site also has a copy of two additional songs featuring Dodger players.

There is a copy of Take Me Out to the Ball Game performed by PHIL RUZZUTO, TOMMY HEINRICH and ROY CAMPANELLA. Go to menu on the left and click on the "recordings by players" page. It's about half way down.

On the same page is a copy of Brooklyn Dodgers Jump featuring the vocal stylings of Ralph Branca, Carl Furillo and Irv Pallica. It's not too bad.

Enjoy!
    I talk to myself:

Great website. I listened to "The Brooklyn Dodgers Jump"
    and it very good. Very much a Big Band era song.

Since the song mentions Branch Rickey, the very latest
    it could date from is 1950.

Thanks again for letting us know about the site!

Brownie31

All the Dodger Recordings (that I know of)

According to my ultra secret resourses at the Baseball HOF, here are all of the songs in the HOF library that mention either the Brooklyn Dodgers or any of the Dodgers players in the title. This only includes recordings from the actual Brooklyn era. (By "ultra secret" I mean that I asked someone)

Each line contains the Artist, Recording, Label and number, Year of release

Basie, Count and His Orchestra, Did You See Jackie Robinson Hit That Ball?RCA Victor 20-3514, 1949

Branca, Furillo, and Palica, Brooklyn Dodgers Jump, Leslie 918, 1949

Brannon, Teddy Orchestra, Don Newcomb Really Throws That Ball, Regal3236, 1950

Campanella, Roy, How To Catch, HO Oats-No #, 1952 4 3/4 inch paper record

Foster, Phil, A Brooklyn Baseball Fan, Coral 61200, 1954, At least 3 label variations exist. USA, Canadian and promotional This recording is available on Baseballrecordings.com Go to the "comedy" page... this is quite funny.

Foster, Phil, Let's keep the Dodgers in Brooklyn, Coral 61840, 1957?

Gooding, Gladys, Follow The Dodgers, Sports 7115, 1951

Gooding, Gladys, Baseball Medley, V-Disc 741, 1945

Henrich, Branca, Rizzuto, Campanella, Take Me Out to the Ball Game - This song was released on at least 5 different labels. The version of Take Me Out to the Ball Game that appeared on the back of Wheaties boxes in the late 50's is actually this recording. The 4 Dodgers listed are UNCREDITED on the label and therefore this record can be easily found on ebay for under $5. But it is indeed Henrich, Branca, Rizzuto and Campanella singing in the chorus.

James, Harry, Dodgers Fan Dance, Columbia 36222, 1941. This was also released on at least 3 different Columbia discs as well as 2 different V-disc records.

Johnson, Buddy (and his Orchestra), Did You See Jackie Robinson Hit That Ball?, Decca 24675, 1949

McGhee, Brownie, Robbie-Doby Boogie, Savoy 5550, 1948?, Song about Jackie Robinson and Larry Doby.

Merrill, Robert, Brooklyn Baseball Cantata, RCA Victor 1412&1413, 1949 Album DC42, (exists on at least two label variations)

Snider, Duke, How To Hit, HO Oats-No #, 1952 4 3/4" paper record

There are several additional recordings that mention the Dodger or thier players, but not in the title.

Enjoy

I talk to myself

According to my ultra secret resourses at the Baseball HOF, here are all of the songs in the HOF library that mention either the Brooklyn Dodgers or any of the Dodgers players in the title. This only includes recordings from the actual Brooklyn era. (By "ultra secret" I mean that I asked someone)

Each line contains the Artist, Recording, Label and number, Year of release

Basie, Count and His Orchestra, Did You See Jackie Robinson Hit That Ball?RCA Victor 20-3514, 1949

Branca, Furillo, and Palica, Brooklyn Dodgers Jump, Leslie 918, 1949

Brannon, Teddy Orchestra, Don Newcomb Really Throws That Ball, Regal3236, 1950

Campanella, Roy, How To Catch, HO Oats-No #, 1952 4 3/4 inch paper record

Foster, Phil, A Brooklyn Baseball Fan, Coral 61200, 1954, At least 3 label variations exist. USA, Canadian and promotional This recording is available on Baseballrecordings.com Go to the "comedy" page... this is quite funny.

Foster, Phil, Let's keep the Dodgers in Brooklyn, Coral 61840, 1957?

Gooding, Gladys, Follow The Dodgers, Sports 7115, 1951

Gooding, Gladys, Baseball Medley, V-Disc 741, 1945

Henrich, Branca, Rizzuto, Campanella, Take Me Out to the Ball Game - This song was released on at least 5 different labels. The version of Take Me Out to the Ball Game that appeared on the back of Wheaties boxes in the late 50's is actually this recording. The 4 Dodgers listed are UNCREDITED on the label and therefore this record can be easily found on ebay for under $5. But it is indeed Henrich, Branca, Rizzuto and Campanella singing in the chorus.

James, Harry, Dodgers Fan Dance, Columbia 36222, 1941. This was also released on at least 3 different Columbia discs as well as 2 different V-disc records.

Johnson, Buddy (and his Orchestra), Did You See Jackie Robinson Hit That Ball?, Decca 24675, 1949

McGhee, Brownie, Robbie-Doby Boogie, Savoy 5550, 1948?, Song about Jackie Robinson and Larry Doby.

Merrill, Robert, Brooklyn Baseball Cantata, RCA Victor 1412&1413, 1949 Album DC42, (exists on at least two label variations)

Snider, Duke, How To Hit, HO Oats-No #, 1952 4 3/4" paper record

There are several additional recordings that mention the Dodger or thier players, but not in the title.

Enjoy

I talk to myself
    Thanks talk. Do you know how many Brooklyn Dodger broadcasts are in the Hall? I understand that the broadcast of last game played by Brooklyn in 1957 at Connie Mack Stadium has been preserved. I would like to hear that broadcast, though it would be bittersweet to the ears I am sure.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DODGER DEB
    Well, everyone, have I got a treat for you....

Go to www.baseballrecordings.com and on the left side of the page click on "Songs of Teams"... then scroll down to the photo showing the record of FOLLOW THE DODGERS...and click on. Make sure your speakers are turned way up.....

For those of you who never heard OUR SONG, you will really enjoy this.

For those of you, like me, heard Gladys playing OUR SONG each time WE entered OUR Ebbets Field, be prepared for a few tears.....ok, maybe a lot of tears.

In any case, I hope you all enjoy my find!

c.
    Thanks Deb for the trip down memory lane. I played it and got goose bumps. It's now on my favorites list and will be played often.

I've tracked down the Baltimore Colts fight song and Follow The Dodgers. All that's left is the song Glady's played when the Rangers hit the ice at the old Garden.

BTW, who's the only person to play for the Dodgers, Rangers and Knicks? That's an old one, but since we're going down memory lane, thought I'd throw it in. Once again, thanks for the memory Deb.

Bedford Avenue at Sullivan Place in a Marble ROTUNDA
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtscorrAL
    Thanks Deb for the trip down memory lane. I played it and got goose bumps. It's now on my favorites list and will be played often.

I've tracked down the Baltimore Colts fight song and Follow The Dodgers. All that's left is the song Glady's played when the Rangers hit the ice at the old Garden.

BTW, who's the only person to play for the Dodgers, Rangers and Knicks? That's an old one, but since we're going down memory lane, thought I'd throw it in. Once again, thanks for the memory Deb.
    Glad you enjoyed it, ColtscorrAL.

In case anyone doesn't know the answer to your question......GLADYS!

c.

An interesting thing about Gladys Gooding. I have a dozen or so recordings of Brooklyn Dodger games from Ebbets Field when she sings the National Anthem. Each time it is sung a little differently. Sometimes faster, sometimes slower, empasizing different words each time. That was the great thing about her singing it live each day. Some days she sounded great other days not so great.But hearing her sing from Ebbets Field is always great.
    Lets get Eddie Basinski elected to the Polish Sports Hall of Fame.
    www.brooklyndodgermemories.com

Okay, you Gladys Goodding trivia experts. Here's one that was posted on this forum many moons ago, and - despite the presence of numerous savvy oldtimers - was never answered completely. Maybe some of you new guys can help.
    It goes like this:
    When the visiting team took the field for batting practice, Gladys would play an appropriate song.
    Giants - "We're Calling All Fans, All You Giant Ball Fans"
    Phillies - "Pennsylvania Polka"
    Pirates - "Pennsylvania Polka"
    Cardinals - "St. Louis Blues"
    Cubs - "Chicago"
    Reds - "Down By the O-hi-o"
    Boston Braves - nobody knew
    Milwaukee Braves - maybe the same, but nobody knew
    Help!
    Remember, this is not to find out if you can think of any Boston/Milwaukee/Massachusetts/Wisconsin songs NOW, but to determine if you really remember - or learned from someone who is old enough to remember. It has been suggested that instead of an actual song, she played tom-tom music (you know what I mean) for the Braves; also that Gladys was too highly-trained a musician to play the same song for both the Phillies and Pirates; also that her Cardinals song was "Missouri Waltz."

Well, there you have it.
    What have you heard?
    pb::

The Baseballrecordings.com site also has a copy of two additional songs featuring Dodger players.

There is a copy of Take Me Out to the Ball Game performed by PHIL RUZZUTO, TOMMY HEINRICH and ROY CAMPANELLA. Go to menu on the left and click on the "recordings by players" page. It's about half way down.

On the same page is a copy of Brooklyn Dodgers Jump featuring the vocal stylings of Ralph Branca, Carl Furillo and Irv Pallica. It's not too bad.

Enjoy!
    I have the record of Take Me Out to the Ballgame. Ralph Branca also sings on it. The other side is "The Umpire," which is quite funny.

Just before the start of the top of the seventh inning, when the Cardinals were the visitors, Gladys always played "Meet Me in St. Louis."
    Incidentally, the custom of visiting team fans taking THEIR stretch at the TOP of the seventh has long since disappeared.

Greetings

I hear rumors of a 78rpm record entitled "Johnny Podres Wears a Halo Round His Head". I think I remember Dodger Deb having a copy of it. Does anyone have any information about this record?

I was perusing the Hall of Fame's Database of songs and they don't have a copy. I would love to get at least the artist and label information if possible.

Thanks again.

I talk to myself

Greetings

I hear rumors of a 78rpm record entitled "Johnny Podres Wears a Halo Round His Head". I think I remember Dodger Deb having a copy of it. Does anyone have any information about this record?

I was perusing the Hall of Fame's Database of songs and they don't have a copy. I would love to get at least the artist and label information if possible.

Thanks again.

I talk to myself
    You sent me looking for that record last night. However, I found it is not with a few of the items I have here, but stored away with numerous other items.

I do remember that it was recorded on JUBLIEE RECORDS. The label is a pink background with blue print. It was only availble for a short time, after the World Series.

Hope this helps.

c.

One more thing (for now) :)

Thank you for that info.

Do you happen to remember the artist that performed the song? That would be the next most important bit of info I would need to find a copy. If I find one I will get it to the guy that does Baseballrecordings.com and then we can ALL have a listen

Thanks again.

I talk to myself

Thank you for that info.

Do you happen to remember the artist that performed the song? That would be the next most important bit of info I would need to find a copy. If I find one I will get it to the guy that does Baseballrecordings.com and then we can ALL have a listen

Thanks again.

I talk to myself
    I am sorry but, I do not, off the top of my head, recall the name of artist.

Jubliee Records had quite a few artists beack in the 1950's, even though it was a small label. I have no idea what happened to them, or their data.

c.

This is what the 78 label looks like......

c.

Follow the Dodgers song updated

Greetings

There has been a new recording of Follow The Dodgers put up on baseballrecordings.com. It's in the same spot, but the webmaster told me that the new sound file is louder with better fidelity. AKA, it sounds better. I asked if it was just an amplified version of the old copy, but he said it was rerecorded on better equipment. Still hissy and poppy, but it does sound better.

I talk to myself

Thumbs up Dodger Song for current Dodger player

Quote Originally Posted by brooklyndodger14
    Hello MATHA531,

Try the mp3 I sent you offsite yesterday. That has the pops and clicks filtered out. Anyone of the Dodger faithful who would like the file, please contact me as well! It is such a joy to have an actual element of Brooklyn Dodger history to enjoy.

I just found an Audio to MIDI converter on the Net and will make a MIDI of the organ solo for you later today!

Dennis
    BrooklynDodger14
    Dennis,
    I would love a copy of the song! I am currently playing for the Brooklyn Dodgers in the 28+ MSBL league here in Brooklyn! We won the championship last year and the guys are all Dodger crazies! I would love to share this bit of history with the team. We play our games at Kaiser Park near Keyspan park in Coney Island. Thanks in advance for your help.

Brian
    Last edited by DODGER DEB; 06-17-2006 at 07:51 AM.

Gladys in the Cage Over First Base

I am a real oldtimer, having seen my first Brooklyn Dodger game in 1938 when Babe Ruth was brought in by GM Larry MacPhail in as a Dodger coach to hype attendance.
    My father was an official of Musicians Union Local 802 in NYC and that gave us access to Gladys in her cage over first base. I went there with my Dad once, probably in 1946. She gave me permission to ask the guard at the upper deck cat walk for entry to the cage whenever I was at the game, so I took advantage and sat with her a few times.
    She was a heavy woman and walked with difficulty, but how she could play and "fake" anything. She had a " fake book" of index cards from which she would select appropriate songs at all times. At one game in 1947 the Dodgers were all being given brand new Studebaker cars which were the first new models to go into post-war production, one for each player As they rolled in through the center field gate she played auto songs like "Get Out and Get Under" and "In My Merry Oldsmobile" from the index cards which I fished out of the file box. There were no Studebaker songs there.
    She was jealous of another popular organist of the time ,Ethel Smith, whose record of "Tico Tic,Tico Toc" made the Hit Parade .Smith also was in night clubs and films as a featured artist. I hesitated to tell her there were a few years and about 60 pounds difference in their appearance. Gladys was more like another Smith--Kate Smith--in build.
    She offered me opinions on the players. She felt the Cardinals, led by Stan Musial and Ray Sanders, were taller and thinner than the Dodgers.
    She was a nice lady.

Quote Originally Posted by bigherb
    I am a real oldtimer, having seen my first Brooklyn Dodger game in 1938 when Babe Ruth was brought in by GM Larry MacPhail in as a Dodger coach to hype attendance.
    My father was an official of Musicians Union Local 802 in NYC and that gave us access to Gladys in her cage over first base. I went there with my Dad once, probably in 1946. She gave me permission to ask the guard at the upper deck cat walk for entry to the cage whenever I was at the game, so I took advantage and sat with her a few times.
    She was a heavy woman and walked with difficulty, but how she could play and "fake" anything. She had a " fake book" of index cards from which she would select appropriate songs at all times. At one game in 1947 the Dodgers were all being given brand new Studebaker cars which were the first new models to go into post-war production, one for each player As they rolled in through the center field gate she played auto songs like "Get Out and Get Under" and "In My Merry Oldsmobile" from the index cards which I fished out of the file box. There were no Studebaker songs there.
    She was jealous of another popular organist of the time ,Ethel Smith, whose record of "Tico Tic,Tico Toc" made the Hit Parade .Smith also was in night clubs and films as a featured artist. I hesitated to tell her there were a few years and about 60 pounds difference in their appearance. Gladys was more like another Smith--Kate Smith--in build.
    She offered me opinions on the players. She felt the Cardinals, led by Stan Musial and Ray Sanders, were taller and thinner than the Dodgers.
    She was a nice lady.
    Thank you for sharing your wonderful memories with US, bigherb, and welcome to OUR Forum!

Indeed Gladys was quite a musician....and how WE all loved the echoes of her grand sound each time WE entered OUR Ebbets Field.

Ethel Smith? Didn't she appear in a MGM movie with Esther Williams/Red Skelton? I think it was around 1945/1946.

Again, welcome, and have fun here....WE do!!

c.

bigherb, you came along just in time. What follows has been driving me sane for years. If anyone is going to remember, it will be you. Don't let me down, bigherb.

Okay, you Gladys Goodding trivia experts. Here's one that was posted on this forum many moons ago, and - despite the presence of numerous savvy oldtimers - was never answered completely. Maybe some of you new guys can help.
    It goes like this:
    When the visiting team took the field for batting practice, Gladys would play an appropriate song.
    Cubs - "Chicago"
    Help!
    Remember, this is not to find out if you can think of any Boston/Milwaukee/Massachusetts/Wisconsin songs NOW, but to determine if you really remember - or learned from someone who is old enough to remember. It has been suggested that instead of an actual song, she played tom-tom music (you know what I mean) for the Braves; also that Gladys was too highly-trained a musician to play the same song for both the Phillies and Pirates; also that her Cardinals song was "Missouri Waltz."

Well, there you have it.
    What have you heard?

A further correction by one of our forum experts pointed out that Gladys's song for the Cardinals was probably "Meet Me in St. Louis." So be it. But what about the Braves? The BOSTON Braves. I can see them strolling onto the diamond for B.P. - but I can't hear the music.
    big herb, you are the man.
    What is she playing?
    pb::

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay
    bigherb, you came along just in time. What follows has been driving me sane for years. If anyone is going to remember, it will be you. Don't let me down, bigherb.

It goes like this:
    Cubs - "Chicago"
    Help!

Well, there you have it.
    What have you heard?

A further correction by one of our forum experts pointed out that Gladys's song for the Cardinals was probably "Meet Me in St. Louis." So be it. But what about the Braves? The BOSTON Braves. I can see them strolling onto the diamond for B.P. - but I can't hear the music.
    big herb, you are the man.
    What is she playing?

WE really need to find the name of the song that Gladys played for the Boston/Milwaukee Braves....because jaykay has been looking for that title for a long time now....

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showpo...94&postcount=4

Just so you know, jaykay, I am hoping that bigherb can help with it, but I've not given up looking for it.

c.

Message Board on Baseballrecordings.com

Several of the tunes we have mentioned on this thread can be found on Baseballrecordings.com. I visit frequently just for a pick-me-up. (I like the page made up entirely of Take Me Out to the Ball Game recordings)

The site was updated over the weekend and there is now a message board. Several of you asked me some questions about Follow the Dodgers and some other songs. I have often simply been asking the webmaster to that site and repeating his answers

You can now banter with him directly. (or at least more directly) : )

Enjoy,

Peace out Bums.
    Dave

Several of the tunes we have mentioned on this thread can be found on Baseballrecordings.com. I visit frequently just for a pick-me-up. (I like the page made up entirely of Take Me Out to the Ball Game recordings)

The site was updated over the weekend and there is now a message board. Several of you asked me some questions about Follow the Dodgers and some other songs. I have often simply been asking the webmaster to that site and repeating his answers

You can now banter with him directly. (or at least more directly) : )

Enjoy,

Peace out Bums.
    Dave

Thanks for putting this thread, front and center, again, I talk to myself!

I cannot tell you how much I enjoy listening to OUR FOLLOW the DODGERS.

You are right, those TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALLGAME songs are terrific.

The music and the words really are wonderful, all over again.

c.

New Dodgers record on baseballrecordings.com (sort of)

Greetings everyone.

Two quick things. First of all, Baseballrecordings.com has been updated for the new year and Follow the Dodgers was the #1 song on the site last year. I am guessing that is largely due to traffic from this board. Thanks a lot

Second, on the New DISCoveries page, there is a tune called "Brooklyn Dodgers Polka" Unless I am mistaken, the ONLY connection this song has to the Dodgers is the guy at the beginning that yells "Hooray for the Brooklyn Dodgers". Is there some Dodger connection with the song or was someone just trying to make a buck by mentioning the Dodgers in the first 3 seconds of the track?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DODGER DEB
    Well, everyone, have I got a treat for you....

Go to www.baseballrecordings.com and on the left side of the page click on "Songs of Teams"... then scroll down to the photo showing the record of FOLLOW THE DODGERS...and click on. Make sure your speakers are turned way up.....

For those of you who never heard OUR SONG, you will really enjoy this.

For those of you, like me, heard Gladys playing OUR SONG each time WE entered OUR Ebbets Field, be prepared for a few tears.....ok, maybe a lot of tears.

In any case, I hope you all enjoy my find!

c.
    Thanks a lot Dodger Deb. I already put them on the top of my i tunes. They're great.
    "It kills me to lose. If I'm a troublemaker, and I don't think that my temper makes me one, then it's because I can't stand losing. That's the way I am about winning, all I ever wanted to do was finish first."

-Jackie Robinson

55 and 56 chmps.... The two headed monster

Quote Originally Posted by 55 chmps
    Thanks a lot Dodger Deb. I already put them on the top of my i tunes. They're great.
    You are quite welcome, 55 chmps.

Glad you enjoyed them!

c.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast