Thread: 10 Year Old Playing 10U Major/AAA Select Ball in Texas having some hitting issues.

10 Year Old Playing 10U Major/AAA Select Ball in Texas having some hitting issues.

I have a 10 year old on a select team in the North Texas Area. He is in his second year of kid pitch.

Last seasons stats were as follows:

Last Fall 2005
    AB - 69
    Hits - 25
    Batting Average - .362
    On Base Average - .494
    S - 18
    D- 4
    T-1
    HR-2
    Walks - 18
    Strike Outs - 4
    Ground Outs - 11
    Fly Outs- 5

This seasons stats:

Spring 2006 Stats
    AB - 37
    Hits - 13
    Batting Average - .351
    On Base Average - .455
    S - 10
    D- 3
    T-0
    HR-0
    Walks - 7
    Strike Outs - 1
    Ground Outs - 11
    Fly Outs- 4

My question is that he has an inordinate number of ground ball outs. He is a bigger kid who usually bats anywhere from number two to number four hitter. He has a good eye but is lunging at pitches(head out in front of his torso) and rarely hits the ball with the power his body type would suggest he could/should. His rh batting motion is such that he has quick hands to the ball but I dont know if he is rolling his wrists in an effective manner...could this be a cause of the lack of power and ground balls? I do realize that the pitchers are better at the low and away pitches.

Any help would be peachy.

Thanks

Is is head coming up ?

We really need a clip, otherwise we are using the swag method at best.

Mark, I know "WAG" is Wild Ass Guess. What's the S in "SWAG" for?

Scientific

SWAG is a engineering term for when we pull a number out of our @$$. I take them all the time when management will not let me alone until I give them a number.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursa Major
    Mark, I know "WAG" is Wild Ass Guess. What's the S in "SWAG" for?
    I always heard it as "Sophisticated"

Monkey

These guys are right, it would help if we could see a clip of your son. Based on what you have discribed it sounds like his swing plane is one of swinging down on the ball? You have also stated that he is rolling his wrist. The wrist should NEVER roll. They should stay straight through the zone. If they are you should be seeing a lot of balls on the ground to the 6 and 4 holes. Which sounds like what you are saying is happening with his swing right now.

Also his swing plane should be in a slightly upward path to the ball.

Elliott.

His head rarely comes up...he is seeing the pitch come in. If I were a betting man I would say he is chopping down a little bit on the ball. He is still offballance on change-ups which is understood. We tell them to keep their hands back. What is disconcerting is that slower "fastballs" create the same off balance issues as well as lunging. Frustrating.

Why dont these 10 year olds hit like 20 year olds?

HEHE

Monkey

Just one more question. How many times have they been told to take the knob of the bat to the ball?

Elliott.

That is something the coaches tell the kids is throw your hands at the ball.....if that makes sense. I can only assume throw hands = knob of bat to the ball.

Throw the hands is a cue. Different people mean different things when they say it and some say it having no idea WHAT they mean. They just heard it before and figure, like a tv sports color commentary guy, they just HAVE to say SOMETHING.

Hands to the ball Cue

Monkey,

Like Mark H mentioned this is a cue. As is knob to the ball. In my community knob to the ball implies a linear swing. Is that what your trying to explain with your post? That your coach is teaching linear swing methods?

Elliott.

Throwing hands

This doesn't much relate to helping m0nkeyb0y but it does relate to cues.

After several geometry lessons, 'What do you mean you don't know what a right angle is?', I am getting some of the little girls to cock their wrists, instead of pointing the bat back along the line of their forearms. Problem now is that they either straighten their wrists pre-maturely and sweep or they never unhinge them at all. I find myself saying 'Throw your hands' as a cue. I tell them to keep the bat with the shoulder, turn their hips and shoulders and throw their hands through. I find that they turn faster and whip the bat when they think about throwing the hands. If combined with the rotation the swings are starting to look circular rather than...I don't know if I can describe what they look like before.

One other thing, if I say hips, they turn their hips without the shoulders. With one, I said the shoulders have to turn too and the next swing was world's apart. And they keep their shoulders level with the ground, not from previous instruction, some have never done this before.

Wilson

Let me see if I can help you a bit. I understand this because like Steve E and others have stated, when you start building a new swing you have to go from point A to point Z to get to the final product. Along the way there are the rest of the letters you stop at for change,correction and validation of the swing.

You are somewhere in the middle right now. I have students who are where you are right now. I have taken two of them from linear to partial rotation and then to correct posture and full rotation. That last one is where I am at with my own daughter. She doesnt like the posture part. One rec student I have was doing a hip slide,lunge, and chop down on the ball. In a word. UGLY. She is where your at now and I am starting to get her to understand full rotation.

What I have told my students is that the core from the shoulders to the hips rotate together. While it sounds easy to do unless your making the proper movements with the legs the hitter will become disconnected. The hips or the hands, and shoulders at times seem to have a mind of their own.

There is also the issue of putting them in the right hitting posture. To create the proper bat plane during the swing. Some players are very uncomfortable with that position. Generally, I ask them are you comfortable? The response is always NO. At that point I say GOOD your not supposed to be comfortable. For which I get a look that is in a word. Priceless.

What you have discribed would appear to me to be causing bat drag and maybe a bar arm because the girls are starting with their hips and the hands are attempting to catch up with the rotation? Which becomes an obvious disconnection.

Tell them to turn the front shoulder and hip together and see if that helps. Hands rotate with the body. Do not reach.

My favorite saying is you have to build the foundation before you can raise the roof. By that I mean everything in a swing or pitch starts with good foot work and moves upward to delivery of the bat or pitch.

Good luck with your team.

Elliott.

Elliot,

It's not so much that they are starting with the hips and leaving the bat behind, as they want to extend the bat back, essentially reducing the 90 degree hinge to 0, and then they sweep it through. The hips don't turn much at all. When I talk 'throwing hands' and 'shoulders as well as hips', I get much more rotation, plus an unhinging. It is really only a couple of cases so far, but I find myself worried that the cue may lead to unwanted results. Still, the cue exists for a reason and like most cues it is when they are understood as absolutes and not merely cues that they start to cause problems.

Posture. If I get them tilted it really seems to mess with their rotation.

Footwork. We are there with throwing as well.

We are only a couple of practices in (Canada), and they are 8 and 9. It's not so much that they have bad swings; they don't really have swings at all yet. I also do not have a complete or even really good understanding of what needs doing. I have corresponded with Steve via e-mail but I am just never consistently at home enough to hook up through the phone. Still, the joy of these ones, as opposed to the 16 year olds, is that if I told them to stand on their head and swing with their feet, they would try to do it. I see progress and hopefully a whole summer will make a difference before they go on to the next guy who will tell them something different.

Mike