Thread: Pitching

Pitching

While the Mets are playing really good baseball, they still need pitching pretty badly. They are a starting pitcher (or two) and reliever (or two) away from being a serious World Series team. They can start by trading for a Brendan Donnelly type reliever, and then moving Heilman to the rotation. I for one am not interested in trading Milledge to the A's for Zito, so unless we can get him for less than Milledge, I think we should look at other options...
    ~MOE

Moonlight Graham
    ...one game, no at-bats...

RisingApple.com

If San Fran falls apart, which is likely, but not a given, seeing how brutal the NL West is. Jason Schmidt seems like a good option. He's a vet. He's makes a lot of money and so forth. He'll come cheaper than Zito too.
    THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT COME WITH A SCORECARD

In the avy: AZ - Doe or Die

Quote Originally Posted by digglahhh
    If San Fran falls apart, which is likely, but not a given, seeing how brutal the NL West is. Jason Schmidt seems like a good option. He's a vet. He's makes a lot of money and so forth. He'll come cheaper than Zito too.
    Sure, I'd take Schmidt anyday...what do you think he'll cost us?
    ~MOE

Moonlight Graham

RisingApple.com

I'm not sure.

SF will be entering a rebuilding phase, so they'll want some youth. But Schmidt, at this stage, probably won't command top level prospects.

Also, by the All Star break, they'll have a better view of how good a chance they think they have at winning it all. Then it becomes a question of how much you are willing to mortgage.
    THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT COME WITH A SCORECARD

In the avy: AZ - Doe or Die

161st St & River Ave (by way of Northern NJ)
    Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear what happened to Victor Zambrano, re getting some injury that may unfortunately keep him out for the season.

I do wish for a speedy recovery, and that he's able to still play and enjoy life.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Bedford Avenue at Sullivan Place in a Marble ROTUNDA
    The story on Victor Zambramo's injury, this AM in the NY Daily News....

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/sto...p-351077c.html

c.

Aye caramba. That's 2/5 of the rotation down now. We'll see what Lima does today but if Jorge Julio keeps throwing the way he has been it might be safe to move Heilman into the rotation. What's Roger Clemen's phone number?

Blog Entries
    Geez, not that I really liked Zambrano but he was one of the starters and was pitching a little better...

Any word when Bannister is set to come back?
    "There are three things in my life which I really love: God, my family, and baseball. The only problem - once baseball season starts, I change the order around a bit.
    ~~Al Gallagher

God Bless America!

Click here to see my baseball tribute site!

Click here to see the best pitcher NOT in the HOF!

It sounds like Bannister will be pretty much ready to go once he comes off the DL.

On a positive note: In his first start for Double-A Binghamton, Alay Soler struck out nine while yielding one run in 6 2/3 innings on Saturday.

Soler could be a Met by the All-Star Break.

As for the Jason Schmidt stuff, maybe they will take Victor Diaz and some prospects since they need a power OF to replace Barry Bonds.
    The Q: Can the Cubs hold a 6-5 lead with 2 outs and nobody on in the 9th?

The A: No

***********My Rant on Bud Selig***********
    Selig is like a stray pigeon. Pigeons are too self-absorbed to care about anyone else. They poo on people they don't like; they poo on people they don't even know. The only real difference between Selig and a pigeon is that Selig intends to bury our heritage, our traditions, and our culture,

161st St & River Ave (by way of Northern NJ)
    Blog Entries

Victor Zambrano was 1-2 with a 6.75 ERA
    in 21 1/3 innings this season.
    (Frank Franklin II/AP)

Notes: Zambrano out for the year
    Starter needs surgery for torn flexor tendon in right elbow

NEW YORK -- The Mets' starting pitching, an issue of depth before the Spring Training emergence of Brian Bannister, is an issue again now that injury has eliminated Victor Zambrano from the remainder of the 2006 season. Zambrano needs surgery to repair a tear in the flexor tendon in his right elbow, an injury suffered Saturday. The Mets' needs are different, a tad desperate and not on the immediate horizon.

Bannister and John Maine, the pitcher who replaced him in the rotation, are assigned to the disabled list. So, too, is Zambrano. And when the extent of Zambrano's injury was made public Sunday, general manager Omar Minaya made it clear that top prospect Mike Pelfrey is not a potential solution for the Mets' problem.

With Pelfrey, the 22-year-old pitcher the Mets selected in the First-Year Player Draft last year, not an option, the club moves forward with Jose Lima, the veteran who started Sunday against the Braves, and possibly Jeremi Gonzalez, another veteran who, like Lima, began the season with the Mets' Triple-A Norfolk affiliate.

Minaya said Saturday that Bannister, though eligible for reinstatement Friday, probably won't be ready to take what would have been his next turn in the rotation Friday night in Milwaukee. And Maine's assignment to DL runs through May 17. Minaya and manager Willie Randolph are reluctant to move Darren Oliver from the relief role in which he has been surprisingly effective.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Hey, we knew he had a bum elbow when he traded for him...but it didn't stop the trade from going through
    ~MOE

Moonlight Graham

RisingApple.com

Quote Originally Posted by Baseball Guru
    Geez, not that I really liked Zambrano but he was one of the starters and was pitching a little better...

Any word when Bannister is set to come back?
    They just said yesterday that he is throwing lightly and the only reason he cant come back just yet is that he cannot run. But it looks like it wont be too long (thank god) but he still will have to throw a little in the minors just to make sure he is ok. As far as starting pitching goes, they absolutly need to get someone because the well is dry. I like lima but he just doesnt have it as a starter, I think he would be great in the bullpen because he usually has decent control, something you really want in the pen (walks = losses later in game) Heilman needs to stay in the pen for now because he is a SOLID reliever and with wagner on the fritz a little they cant afford to weaken the pen, I would rather see oliver as a starter then Heilmann right now. Another note, lets face it we dont need an allstar to replace Zambrano, he was terrible and probable was not going to win very many games. All we need is someone to come in and pitch 6 or 7 innnings and keep the damage to a minimn and let the pen and the offense take over to win games. However, I do see a weakness and they do need to find someone to replace Zambrano, and I think they are going to have to go shopping outside the orgnazation.

I pretty much agree with the above post but if they are going to go big-time, Dontrelle Willis would be the only one out there that I would even consider trading Milledge for.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Met
    I pretty much agree with the above post but if they are going to go big-time, Dontrelle Willis would be the only one out there that I would even consider trading Milledge for.

Agreed, I dont want to trade top prospects for a "zambrano" quality pitcher, Its got to be a move up like Dontrelle (this would be awesome)

Pelfrey

I'd call up Mike Pelfrey from Double A Binghamton. I know many people would think that is a bit of a rush, but I feel he may be our best option.

I wouldn't trade Pelfrey or Milledge for any starting pitcher, I don't want Willis or Zito at that price, I'd do that maybe for Johan Santana or Cris Carpenter or Jake Peavy but that's it.

I think that we might be able to move Jeff Keppinger, and Henry Owens, or Matt Lindstrom, those type of minor leaguers for an end of the rotation starter a Corey Lidle type of guy.
    14 37 41
    Hodges Stengel Seaver
    "People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do, I stare out the window and wait for spring." - Rogers Hornsby

I will indulge myself with a 1986 parallel. That squad started the year with Bruce Berenyi in the rotation. Berenyi had nasty stuff but was always injured too. He never pitched again after 1986.

However, that team had Rick Aguilera available.

So who is this year's Rick Aguilera?

Bedford Avenue at Sullivan Place in a Marble ROTUNDA
    Just a very far out idea......

It is pretty much an agreed fact that Zambrano was "damaged goods" when that trade took place last year.

While I am not sure just who is to blame, i.e. was a complete physical ordered, and if it was, just who approved it?

How about the METS trying to make a case for the return of Scott Kazmir?

c.

Hey! Jim Fregosi was damaged goods too! Nolan Ryan would probably fit into that #3 slot very nicely.