Thread: Rochester (Senators) Red Wings

Rochester (Senators) Red Wings

I was a kid in the 60's attending Red Wings games in Rochester N.Y. There were many players who were Senators that at one time played for the Red Wings. I can remember a few. Mike Epstein, Fred Valentine, Darold Knowles, Bob Saverine, Pete Richert, Frank Bertania, Sam Bowens,. My question is,Does anyone know what the trades were that made that made all these switches happen?

It's a short trip on the Baltimore/Washington Parkway...

Yankwood, you're correct about the numerous trades between the Baltimore Orioles and the Washington Senators. For the specific players you mentioned (in alphabetical order):

Frank Bertania & Mike Epstein traded to Senators for Pete Richert (5/67)
    Bertania traded back to Orioles for minor leaguer Paul Campbell (6/69)

Sam Bowens purchased by Senators (11/67)

Darold Knowles came to Senators from Philles for Don Lock. Traded to Philles by Orioles.

Bob Saverine traded to Houston Astros by Baltimore for Don Larsen and cash.
    Saverine was then drafted by the Senators in the 1965 Rule V draft. (11/65)

Fred Valentine purchased by Senators from Orioles (10/63)
    Valentine traded back to Orioles for Bruce Howard (6/68)

There are others of course. Check out the "Name The Oriole" thread in the Baltimore Orioles forum:

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=33362
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 05-17-2006 at 05:48 AM.
    "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Nats-Orioles

You got to see Epstein at his best. He was the International League rookie of the year and minor league player of the year as a Red Wing. Good memories!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGelnarFan
    You got to see Epstein at his best. He was the International League rookie of the year and minor league player of the year as a Red Wing. Good memories!
    I never saw the particluar incident but Red Wing Stadium, or Silver Stadium as it became renamed, had a 40 foot high scoreboard in left center, 415 feet from the plate. In 1966 Mike Epstein cleard the top of the scoreoard. I can't tell you how many times, up until the stadium's demolition a decade ago, I just gazed up at that scoreboard and tried to imagine that. This is not legend. This actually happened in front of a few thousand spectators. Of couse, just like every great feat, everyone who lives in Rocheater claims to have been there that night.

And Aa3rt, thanks for the info. Great stuff.