Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Baseball Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiquitous View Post
    Well the point would be easier to remember if it didn't take a year to reply back. You said "Baseball the sport has no match when the subject is metaphors." I countered with that the military in reality probably is in front.

Well yes, that is why one ask who uses that one.

Yes I do doubt it is used. YOu gave a list in which you said the following were everyday phrases. Caught off base is not an everyday phrase, it isn't even close to being an everyday phrase.

The reason it took a year is because this thread was just reopened yesterday. It's not unusual for a thread to be started long ago and than revived when a poster starts it up again. For that matter until yesterday there was no action on this thread by anyone since June 28 2006.

I could have worded it different by saying the sport of baseball compared to other sports, thats what I meant.

As for the term everyday, your splitting hairs UBI not unusual. Of course it does not mean everyday, I think most would understand that. If I hear another say or state that in a post about any phrase and say it's used everyday I would certainly know that they did not mean what you think I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by ElHalo View Post
    And, again, what is and isn't an everyday phrase is pretty subjective. I would say that being "off base" on something is a common enough phrase to call an everyday one, although the specific variant "caught off base" is probably one used less frequently nowadays. Then again, what is and isn't an everyday phrase is unique to each individual. I probably use the phrase "ayenbite of inwyt" enough to call it an everyday phrase in my personal vocabulary, but I wouldn't imagine that that's something most people would consider an everyday phrase (it comes from a middle English translation of a thirteenth century French treatise on Christian morality, and roughly means "remorse of conscience"; it was popularized by James Joyce's use of it in Ulysses about forty times).
    Some one understands what I meant.

Blog Entries
    I think my first post sums my view up. I'm willing to bet that if somebody is going to say something like caught off. . . they will finish with guard not base. Off base is primarily used to say something to the effect of "you are way off base". I don't need to get into a 20 post debate on an issue that is meaningless and have to worry about "splitting hairs". If you wish to view "caught off base" as a common saying that is fine. The world doesn't cease to exist either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiquitous View Post
    I think my first post sums my view up. I'm willing to bet that if somebody is going to say something like caught off. . . they will finish with guard not base. Off base is primarily used to say something to the effect of "you are way off base". I don't need to get into a 20 post debate on an issue that is meaningless and have to worry about "splitting hairs". If you wish to view "caught off base" as a common saying that is fine. The world doesn't cease to exist either way.
    That is not the portion of your post that I was referring to when I spoke of splitting hairs. I was speaking of your questioning my words "used in everyday language." If you go back to my post #69 you can see that in my closing pargraph.

I thought it was understood that I didn't mean it to be taken literally. Some years ago I heard two professors speaking of baseball terms used in everyday conversations. I am sure they also used the term everyday the same way I did and if asked , "do you actually mean some of these terms are used everyday", they would most likely say no.

Don't be concerned about getting into a 20 post debate, I'm thinking the same way. I had already made up my mind before I even read your last post, this type of debate goes no where. It's been my practice to just leave and I do so now.
    Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 05-26-2007 at 05:27 AM.

Dang no one can even escape an argument about great baseball quotes. Jesus people just a baseball quote here.
    "Once he hit a line drive right past my ear. I turned around and saw the ball hit his ass sliding into second." - Satchel Paige (about Cool Papa Bell)

"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." -Mickey Mantle

"Some twenty years ago I stopped talking about the Babe (Ruth) for the simple reason that I realized that those who had never seen him didn't believe me." - Tommy Holmes

Blog Entries
    You said here are everyday phrases, I said this one wasn't. You then said I shouldn't be so literal even though when you read my post you took my usage of the word literal. I never took your phrase to mean every single day it must be uttered or else it is wrong. I took it to mean a commonly used phrase, and that I disagree to.

"Line up alphabetically according to your height" - Casey Stengel

"...like drinking coffee with a fork" - Willie Stargell, about hitting against Koufax.

"Did they tell me how to pitch to (Ted) Williams? Sure they did. It was great advice, very encouraging. They said he had no weakness, won't swing at a bad ball, has the best eyes in the business, and can kill you with one swing. He won't hit anything bad, but don't give him anything good." - Bobby Shantz

I always liked this quote:

"I don't know that it's so important to have Tug McGraw's autograph. It's not like he's Donald Duck or something."

-----Elementary schoolgirl on meeting Tug McGraw at his children's school, Sports Illustrated, November 20, 1978.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

"The fine was more than I expectorated". - Frenchy Bordagaray on his punishment for spitting on an umpire.
    What's the rumpus?

Quote Originally Posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    "The fine was more than I expectorated". - Frenchy Bordagaray on his punishment for spitting on an umpire.
    For sure, I always have that one at the top of my list as the most clever. Probably not understood by many.

Quote Originally Posted by KCGHOST View Post
    Umpire to Ted Williams after Williams flipped his bat in the air after being calle dout on strikes:

"Williams, if that bat comes down you're out of the game".
    Ken "Hawk" Harrelson often tells this anecdote on the air, only when he tells it, he's the batter.
    What's the rumpus?

"I never shoulda ate that apple." Babe Ruth, while being carried off the field following a pre-game meal of 11 hot dogs and an apple.

"Why did I sign with the Nationals? When you go to a club at 4 in the morning, and you're just waiting, waiting, a 600-pounder looks like J-Lo. And to me, this is Jennifer Lopez right here. It's 4 in the morning. Too much to drink. So, Nationals: Jennifer Lopez to me." - Julian Tavarez
    "I go all out. And I'm going to bring that to the table every day, in good times and bad times." - Eric Byrnes

"...far too many people want to retroactively apply today's standards to yesterday's players, as if they played the game under the same assumptions and just heedlessly and obdurately plowed on in their own groove." - Los Bravos

I'm a big Mantle Fan, so here's a few from Baseball-Almanac http://www.baseball-almanac.com/quotes/quomant.shtml:

"He hit the ball longer. Hit hit it more often, and he hit it from either side of the plate with equal violence." - Gerald Astor
    "Fill in any figure you want for that boy. Whatever the figure, it's a deal." - Branch Rickey

Interesting one about how the game is played now:
    "He (Bob Gibson) couldn't pitch today because they wouldn't let him. The way he'd throw inside, he'd be kicked out of the game in the first inning, along with guys like Don Drysdale and Sandy Koufax." - Red Schoendienst
    Last edited by 1905 Giants; 10-24-2013 at 12:03 PM.
    “There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and to shame the devil.” Walter Lippmann

Ripper Collins

Stengel when asked by a reporter about Greg Goosen a young Met catcher was about the funniest I ever heard:

Casey Stengel's famous quote "We got a young catcher right here, he's 20 years old and in 10 years, he's got a chance to be 30".

Bob Boone was asked during the '80 WS if there was a "gentleman's agreement" between catchers to avoid collisions after Darrell Porter tiptoed into home and got tagged out TWICE.
    "Yeah, the agreement is you get knocked on your (butt)."
    "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Here's some of my favorites, or just classics, from The Little Red Book of Baseball Wisdom edited by Wayne Stewart.

"It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

"It's a great day for a ballgame; let's play two!" Ernie Banks

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." Jackie Robinson

"The trades you don't make are your best ones." Branch Rickey

"Luck is the residue of design." Branch Rickey

"A good umpire is the umpire you don't even notice." Ban Johnson

"If you don't play to win, why keep score?" Vern Law

"They (1927 Yankees) don't just beat you, they break your heart." Joe Judge

"You don't save a pitcher for tomorrow. Tomorrow it may rain." Leo Durocher

"I got to be first - all the time." Ty Cobb

"You lead by example." Alvin Dark

More later...

More from the same book.

"If he'd just tip his cap once, he could be elected Mayor of Boston in five minutes." Eddie Collins on Ted Williams

"I can think of three managers who weren't fired. John McGraw of the Giants, who was sick and resigned; Miller Huggins of the Yankees, who died on the job; and Connie Mack of the Athletics, who owned the club." Red Smith

"Thou shalt not steal. I mean defensively. On offense, indeed thou shall steal and thou must." Branch Rickey

"Baseball has to be a great game to survive the fools who run it." Bill Terry

"You'll have to learn before you're older, you can't hit the ball with the bat on your shoulder." Umpire Bill Byron

"I couldn't have done it without my players." Yankee MGR Casey Stengel on his success with the team.

"They expect an umpire to be perfect on Opening Day and to improve as the season goes on." Umpire Nestor Chylak

"Fans, for the past two weeks you have been reading about what a bad break I got. Yet today I consider myself to be the luckiest man on the face of the earth." Lou Gehrig

"I never knew how someone dying could say he was the luckiest man in the world, but now I understand." Mickey Mantle upon his retirement.

"There ain't much to being a ballplayer - if you're a ballplayer." Honus Wagner

"In the beginning there was a word and the word was 'Play Ball.'" Writer George Bowering

"We'll win if the Big Dodger in the sky wills it." Tommy Lasorda

"Sure, I have muffed a few in my time. But I never called one wrong in my heart." Umpire Bill Klem

"God takes care of little children and catchers." Unknown

"The body of a god. Only (Mickey) Mantle's legs are mortal." Jerry Coleman

"Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and still be considered a good performer." Ted Williams

"Baseball is a game of inches." Branch Rickey

"Keep your eye on the ball." Joe Sewell (purportedly)

"We Americans are a peculiar people. We are for the underdog no matter how much of a dog he is." Happy Chandler

"It isn't really the stars that are expensive. It's the high cost of mediocrity." Bill Veeck

"It's smarter to give the big man (Mickey Mantle) four balls for one base than one ball for four bases." Roger Maris

"The key to winning is pitching, fundamentals and three-run homers." Earl Weaver

"It's not the bat that counts. It's the guy who's wielding it." Paul Waner

"It's great to be young and a Giant." Larry Doyle

"The rhythms of the game are so similar to the patterns of American life. Periods of leisure, interrupted by bursts of frantic activity." Writer Roger Kahn

"A full mind is an empty bat." Branch Rickey

"Rooting for the New York Yankees is like rooting for U.S. Steel." Red Smith

"You can't tell how much spirit a team has until it starts losing." Rocky Colavito

"Less than a foot can make the difference between a hero and a bum." Grover Cleveland Alexander

"There are three things you can do in a baseball game: you can win or you can lose or it can rain." Casey Stengel

"I wish I'd known early what I had to learn late." Richie Ashburn

"The baseline belongs to me." Ty Cobb

"I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity." Bill Veeck

"Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter." Satchel Paige

"Cut me and I'll bleed Dodger blue." Tommy Lasorda

"Wait 'til next year." Brooklyn Dodger fans

"We finished last with you. We can finish last without you." Branch Rickey to Ralph Kiner

"I took two of the most expensive aspirins in history." Wally Pipp on his headache that gave Lou Gehrig a shot at 1B.

"It would depend on how well she was hitting." Early Wynn when asked if he would throw at his own mother.

"You gotta believe." Tug McGraw

"It's nothin' until I call it." Umpire Bill Klem

"This must be the only job in America that everybody knows how to do it better than the guy who's doing it." Umpire Nestor Chylak

"Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." Red Smith

"Champions cost money." Connie Mack

"Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."
    "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Son, we'd like to keep you around this season but we're going to try and win a pennant.

-Casey Stengel
    This week's Giant

Dave Kingman

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast