X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Outta Here
    • Jun 2006

Rolen

Gud 1 Sockeye- nice challenging 1 2 think about!

Maybe, but I just can't c him making it

Comment

• BoofBonser26
      Loyal Indians Fan
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Outta Here
      Gud 1 Sockeye- nice challenging 1 2 think about!

Maybe, but I just can't c him making it
      plEz do not pOst lik this n e mor. it iz hrd 2 rEd.
      CLEVELAND INDIANS Central Division Champions

1920 1948 1954 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2001 2007

Comment

• Outta Here
        • Jun 2006

Originally posted by BoofBonser26
        plEz do not pOst lik this n e mor. it iz hrd 2 rEd.
        Sry m8 cnt hlp it

Comment

• Cougar
          • Jan 2003

Very tough call. Depends on health and longevity. A Hall of Fame talent, to be sure.

Comment

• Fuzzy Bear
            Say Hey!
            • May 2006

Rolen's having a great year so far, but it's a DIFFERENT kind of year than he's had. He's hitting .358 at this writing, way, way over his norm. He's only hit 8 HRs so far, and he's on pace for the low 20s, but his BA and OBP are excellent.

Rolen will help himself if (A) he has the year he projects out to, (B) makes the All-Star team, and (C) wins the Gold Glove. That will probably put Rolen in the gray area, to where he has a chance to make the HOF based on what he's done to date.

But it's hard for me to project out to Sockeye's numbers a guy with the history of back problems Rolen's had. If he didn't have the bad back, Sockeye's numbers might well be attainable, but he does. In addition, Rolen was a large-sized rookie; he did not grow much, physically, since coming to the major leagues. This, to me, is a hint that Rolen may not age as well as someone who started young, but who grew. (Without HGH, by the way!)
            "I do not care if half the league strikes. Those who do it will encounter quick retribution. All will be suspended and I don't care if it wrecks the National League for five years. This is the United States of America and one citizen has as much right to play as another. The National League will go down the line with Robinson whatever the consequences. You will find if you go through with your intention that you have been guilty of complete madness."

NL President Ford Frick, 1947

Comment

• CROM
              • Jun 2006

its all about whether or not he can stay healthy.. hes an awesome fielder with a dangerous bat but this means jack if hes on the DL..

Comment

• The Big C
                MSU! FINAL FOUR!
                • Jul 2005

I voted no. His candidacy is contingent on his health, and that is what will keep him out in my mind. I think if he can somehow fight off the injuries, he may have a shot, and I would like to see that.

Comment

• romanos72
                  Banks for President, '08
                  • Jun 2006

Rolen hall-of-fame-bound?

Hey has suffered too many injuries in the first half of his career. One can assume that he will not be "more healthy" in the second half of his career. His injury plagued career will impact his overall numbers like it did with Riggs Stephenson and Andre Dawson. If Rolen's numbers steady at their current pace for another 5-6 years, though, he has a shot. He may be around 400 HRs, 1,500 RBIs, and perhaps .300BA which puts him in good company at 3B.

Comment

• Fuzzy Bear
                    Say Hey!
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by romanos72
                    Hey has suffered too many injuries in the first half of his career. One can assume that he will not be "more healthy" in the second half of his career. His injury plagued career will impact his overall numbers like it did with Riggs Stephenson and Andre Dawson. If Rolen's numbers steady at their current pace for another 5-6 years, though, he has a shot. He may be around 400 HRs, 1,500 RBIs, and perhaps .300BA which puts him in good company at 3B.
                    The thing Rolen has going for him is that his injuries have not yet pushed him off third base, nor do they threaten to. This is important; he is on pace to put up very good numbers for a super glove man at 3B.

If Rolen has to move from 3B to the OF or 1B or even DH, it would be the death knell for his HOF chances, but there is no evidence that this is even being talked about.
                    "I do not care if half the league strikes. Those who do it will encounter quick retribution. All will be suspended and I don't care if it wrecks the National League for five years. This is the United States of America and one citizen has as much right to play as another. The National League will go down the line with Robinson whatever the consequences. You will find if you go through with your intention that you have been guilty of complete madness."

Comment

• romanos72
                      Banks for President, '08
                      • Jun 2006

Rolen in the Hall...Chipper a stronger candidate...

Originally posted by Fuzzy Bear
                      The thing Rolen has going for him is that his injuries have not yet pushed him off third base, nor do they threaten to. This is important; he is on pace to put up very good numbers for a super glove man at 3B.

If Rolen has to move from 3B to the OF or 1B or even DH, it would be the death knell for his HOF chances, but there is no evidence that this is even being talked about.

Perhaps Fuzzy Bear. It's hard to predict how healthy one will stay, but at this pace, he is on his way to the Hall. I personally like Rolen, despite the fact that he plays for the Cards...I beleive that Chipper Jones will make the Hall eventually, even after his exodus from 3B for a few years and his subsequent return. His consistency, the fact that he's a switch hitter, all of the division titles he has lead his team to, and his likeability will factor into it...

Comment

• Fuzzy Bear
                        Say Hey!
                        • May 2006

Originally posted by romanos72
                        Perhaps Fuzzy Bear. It's hard to predict how healthy one will stay, but at this pace, he is on his way to the Hall. I personally like Rolen, despite the fact that he plays for the Cards...I beleive that Chipper Jones will make the Hall eventually, even after his exodus from 3B for a few years and his subsequent return. His consistency, the fact that he's a switch hitter, all of the division titles he has lead his team to, and his likeability will factor into it...
                        Chipper is 3 or 4 years older than Rolen, with much more time at 3B. His lifetime BA is over .300, although it may not stay there. If Chipper moves off 3B in a few years, he'll still have enough games in as a 3B to be considered a career 3B.

George Brett played 1692 games at 3B, but he also played 461 at 1B and 506 at DH. Brett's batting stats, however, are FAR better than Rolen's; he'd have gotten in as a career DH. Rolen isn't at that level; he needs to stay on third.

Comment

• hubkittel
                          • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Gashouse6
                          He is the greatest fielding 3rd basemen ever.
                          great, great arm. very good glove. i question his range going to his left. not currantly a hall of famer.

Comment

• Kenny14
                            • Jun 2006

Rolen is far and away my favorite player playing today. Great glove, very good hitter, plays the game very hard – which may prove to be his downfall since that may lead to more injuries. To me he is Ken Boyer/Ron Santo redux. The length of his career will determine his chances for the Hall of Fame, so who knows what will happen. I suspect if he plays at his normal high level through the age of 38 or so, he will get in. If he is productive only through the age of 34 (just like Santo and Boyer) or 35, he won’t.

Another interesting parallel to Boyer/Santo is that Rolen is overshadowed by Pujols, just like Boyer/Santo were overshadowed by Musial/Banks. This will also hinder his chances for the Hall of Fame.

As far as his power numbers this year, Rolen’s shoulder has still not regained full strength from his surgery last year. He has hit with more authority the last few weeks, so that situation may be improving. I expect he will regain his power stroke either later this year or next.

If you do not watch this guy on a daily basis, you are really missing something. He plays the game like he was playing in the 50’s. The best example I can give you is that when he hits a home run, he puts his head down and sprints to first as if he is going for a double, and doesn’t slow down until he gets a signal from the coach or umpire that the ball went out of the park. I know a few banjo hitters that do that, but the list of bona fide sluggers that do that are few and far between.

Comment

• Fuzzy Bear
                              Say Hey!
                              • May 2006

You've confirmed to me what I've suspected; that Rolen's high BA this year is adapting to the after effects of an injury. This is not unusual; player's hitting for a HIGHER BA after an arm/shoulder injury because of an adaptation that is needed.

Is Rolen more effective sacrificing power for BA?

Comment

• BoSox Rule
                                • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Fuzzy Bear
                                Is Rolen more effective sacrificing power for BA?
                                His SLG is .574.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X