View Poll Results: What are your thoughts on curses?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definitely believe(d) in the Babe and Billy Goat

0 0%
  • Dont believe in curses themselves, but believe all the talk can impact players

5 50.00%
  • I am soooo sick of curses...its just fodder for the media

5 50.00%

Thread: 2000 is the new 1918

2000 is the new 1918

What are your thoughts on curses? I personally think that payback is a b!tch and its time to send a curse down I-95 and straight into the Bronx. For all the money they've spent (must be close to one BILLION dollars now) this millenium, the Yankees have 0 titles. Their time is done and their curse has begun. [link removed]
    Last edited by VTSoxFan; 06-25-2006 at 07:25 AM.

I don't much about karma or curses but I am quite familiar with wishful thinking and veiled sales pitching.
    The Cuervo Gold, the fine Columbian, make tonight a wonderful thing.

Quote Originally Posted by runningshoes53
    I don't much about karma or curses but I am quite familiar with wishful thinking and veiled sales pitching.
    or not so veiled... besides you forgot about the black sox. based on both sox winning world series over the last two years, i dont think curses are holding up very well this millenium

Quote Originally Posted by SoxxoS
    or not so veiled... besides you forgot about the black sox. based on both sox winning world series over the last two years, i dont think curses are holding up very well this millenium
    Maybe the baseball Gods knocked around a general amnesty on teams cursed and decided it was high time.

No wait..that would mean the Cubs are next or, for that matter, should have been first.
    The Cuervo Gold, the fine Columbian, make tonight a wonderful thing.

I voted sick of curses. It really just gives the media something to talk about.

I've never believed in any curse, whether it was in regard to the Red Sox, Cubs, or anyone else.

Winning franchises all have one thing in common. Strong management from the top down.

Think about any sports "dynasty", be it the Celtics, Yankees, Steelers, the recent Patriots run, or any team that won consistently over a multi-year span.

They have all had ownership committed to winning, that hired talented and intelligent people to run/coach the team.

"Curses" are an excuse. A crutch to fall back on when the real problem is poor decision making. Whether it was hiring the wrong GM, a trade that was or wasn't made, or a bad game decision by a coach or manager.

Of course there's also an element of luck (also debatable) to winning.

But in general, I think if you have the right people running the organization, over time the team will have success.
    Ken

Voted for option 2 because there are some really supersticious (sp) players out there!! It's all nonsense!

I would like to vote for #2 and #3. I believe both are true.

When teams lose, having a "curse" is letting them off the hook. An excuse. Sometimes it's fun to laugh at, read and talk about, but at the end of the day it's all just BS.

I saw in World Cup news that Ecuador and Trinidad & Tobago have hired some voodoo witch doctors to cast spells on their opponents. If it works maybe the Cubs could give them a call.

Curses are just something for the Talking Heads to yammer on-and-on about.
    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball