Thread: Out of towner looking for suggestions to enjoy Wrigley

Out of towner looking for suggestions to enjoy Wrigley

Living in Houston all my life, I'm finally getting a chance to see a game at Wrigley Field which sits at the top of my "Baseball Meccas I've got to see in my lifetime" list...

I've got one shot; I've got to do this right... Looking for suggestions from local Cub fans as to what are the things that I MUST do to enjoy the experience as much as possible.... Things that I'll be able to share with friends when we exchange drunken "oh yeah, well I've..." stories... The preliminary list I've put together to this point is:

- drink/eat at Cubby Bear's or Murphy's Bleachers
    - try to chase down a batting practice homer on Waveland.
    - pick up a "Wrigley Field, since 1914" t-shirt at the shop across the street
    - get pictures of the red marquee and me with the red marquee
    - see a day game (3:05pm fortunately!)
    - sing "Take me out to the ballgame" during the stretch
    - shoot Jeff Gordon if I see him anywhere near "Wrigley Stadium"

I'll be at the 3pm game on 7/15 against the Mets, who I absolutely detest (Astros fan, 1986 damnit)... I've got to be at O'Hare by about 7:30ish for my 8:50 flight back to Houston, so I'm planning to leave at 6ish or after the 7th inning stretch, whichever comes later.

-Chris
    "Cub Fan for a day!"
    "Wrigley Field fan, always."

go to murphy's. its better than the cubbie bear by a decent margin, IMO.

The problem will be getting back to Ohare in time. You never know about traffic on the Kennedy and you might be best off taking the EL south to Belmont and getting on "blue line aint it"? out to the airport. A Taxi will cost you big $$ and probably wouldnt save you any time.

Have a great time.
    "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never."

Definitely planning to take the El; figured cab ride would be about $50+. How long does it take on the El to get from Wrigley to O'Hare.

Hoping to give myself 3 hours to get from ballpark to terminal 5:30 to 8:30... game starts at 3:05; should hopefully be going to bottom of 7th by 5:30... well.. everyone chant with me (no rain, no rain, no rain, no rain, no rain!!!)

-Chris

Murphy's over Cubby... got it..
    anything better than Murphy's?

-Chris

it'll take about an hour to get from wrigley to o'hare. you could leave at 6 and have no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by cmduke
    Murphy's over Cubby... got it..
    anything better than Murphy's?

-Chris
    Real pity to come into Chicago and not get one pizza
    "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never."

Murphy's is much smaller than the Cubby Bear and a much longer line....... tiny place and cramped but worth a visit.

Can't offer a specific place, but a Chicago Red Hot, hot dog. (Vienna sucks and has a thick skin)

Your pic with Ronnie Woo! (www.ronniewoowoo.com) If you don't see him, you'll hear him. when you check out the site, don't forget to turn on your speakers. And listen to "hear ronnie"

A pic with the Harry Carey Statue? Walk straight east along Addison to the next corner. You can't miss it.

Of curse, or should I say course, the Ball Hogs for a pre game ball as previously suggested.

Sending some catch a ball dust.....and count on the Cubs losing. We're going for that 100 game loss this season. You can borrow my St. Louis sucks shirt and I'm happy to say, I never did buy that shirt that read Houston Blows.
    Last edited by cubfanmom; 06-29-2006 at 07:56 PM.

As far as transportation after the game. Yes, I believe it's the blue line, but you have to catch it from the red line. Red line, is just east of Wrigley less than a half block. I can't help but wonder about your luggage. A friend of mine does the bike run thing and sends his luggage Fed ex.... say's it's worth the hassle and extra buck not to have to worry about the darn airports losing it or carrying it.....

I'd offer help with teh' CTA thing but am too darn far out in the western suburbs to have any public trans out here.

Quote Originally Posted by cmduke
    Definitely planning to take the El; figured cab ride would be about $50+. How long does it take on the El to get from Wrigley to O'Hare.

Hoping to give myself 3 hours to get from ballpark to terminal 5:30 to 8:30... game starts at 3:05; should hopefully be going to bottom of 7th by 5:30... well.. everyone chant with me (no rain, no rain, no rain, no rain, no rain!!!)

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cubfanmom
    Murphy's is much smaller than the Cubby Bear and a much longer line....... tiny place and cramped but worth a visit.

I didnt find murphys to be THAT small of a place. maybe compared to the cubby bear, but its still more than big enough. i was there after the red sox game last year and it was actually not bad at all. there are a coupla outdoor patios that help with space and a couple of different spots for bars.

i just find it less of a trashy place than cubbie bear. and the lines are much better at murphys than say Casey Moran's or even Bernie's. Yakzees is a pretty good place as well, though i havent been there in awhile.

Taking a bit from my 5 year old daughter who will say that she "wants X for Christmas; CHECK!" - the "CHECK!" officially puts it on her list... well.. Wrigley's two weeks away, and as far as I can tell, it's Christmas in July...

Red to Blue line gets me to O'Hare in an hour.
    Ronnie Woo.
    Harray Caray statue.

Check. Check. Check.

gettin' the pizza earlier in the week, and going to have the airport hotel store the luggage for me, so that hopefully won't be a concern. Even if the laptop disappears - who cares, I'm going to Wrigley!

You might not get the St. Louis sucks shirt back, but even as an Astros fan, I don't mind the Cardinals or the Cubs; yes I'd prefer the Astros win the division, but I don't bad things onto them. The Cubs don't need any help in that department. Me? I despise the Mets and the Braves. Can't stand 'em.

I have NO problem with a "Houston offense Blows" t-shirt; damn fellas, can ya score some runs for the hall of famer please?!? How can Wandy friggin' Rodriguez get 6 runs per start, and the Rocket has to score 'em himself if he's lucky enough to get 2 a game?

THANKS EVERYONE! (but don't stop ;-)
    THIS IS GOING TO BE FANTASTIC!
    Baseball in Wrigley. It doesn't get better than that... (okay, well.. playoff baseball in Wrigley would be better... )

-Chris