Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Ultimate grand slam

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Père Lachaise Cemetery - Paris
    Posts
    3,346
    Blog Entries
    1

    Ultimate grand slam

    How many people other than Adam Dunn and Brian Giles have hit the ultimate grand slam (down by 3, 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th)?
    SOUVENEZ-VOUS LES EXPOS!!!
    "The future's uncertain and the end is always near" - Jim Morrison

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,606
    September 9, 1881 Roger Connor
    September 24, 1925 Babe Ruth
    May 23, 1936 Sammy Byrd
    July 8, 1950 Jack Phillips
    June 16, 1952 Bobby Thomson
    July 15, 1952 Eddie Joost
    September 11, 1955 Del Crandall
    May 11, 1956 Danny Kravitz
    July 25, 1956 Roberto Clemente
    August 31, 1963 Ellis Burton
    August 2, 1970 Tony Taylor
    August 11, 1970 Carl Taylor
    April 22, 1973 Ron Lolich
    May 1, 1979 Roger Freed
    April 13, 1983 Bo Diaz
    August 31, 1984 Buddy Bell
    April 13, 1985 Phil Bradley
    August 29, 1986 Dick Schofield
    June 21, 1988 Alan Trammell
    May 17, 1996 Chris Hoiles
    May 17, 2002 Jason Giambi

    courtesy of http://www.wcnet.org/~dlfleitz/gs.htm

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Saskatoon, SK
    Posts
    708
    Yeah but some of those guys hit there grandslam with less then 2 outs.......

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,606
    I think this should be correct now.

    September 9, 1881 Roger Connor - 2 outs
    September 24, 1925 Babe Ruth - 1 out (10th inning)
    May 23, 1936 Sammy Byrd - 0 outs
    July 8, 1950 Jack Phillips - 1 out
    June 16, 1952 Bobby Thomson - 0 outs
    July 15, 1952 Eddie Joost - 0 outs
    September 11, 1955 Del Crandall - 2 outs
    May 11, 1956 Danny Kravitz - 0 outs
    July 25, 1956 Roberto Clemente - 0 outs (inside the park!)
    August 31, 1963 Ellis Burton - 2 outs
    August 2, 1970 Tony Taylor - 0 outs
    August 11, 1970 Carl Taylor - 2 outs
    April 22, 1973 Ron Lolich - 2 outs
    May 1, 1979 Roger Freed - 2 outs
    April 13, 1983 Bo Diaz - 2 outs
    August 31, 1984 Buddy Bell - 2 outs
    April 13, 1985 Phil Bradley - 2 outs
    August 29, 1986 Dick Schofield - 2 outs
    June 21, 1988 Alan Trammell - 2 outs
    May 17, 1996 Chris Hoiles - 2 outs (full count)
    July 28, 2001 Brian Giles - 2 outs
    May 17, 2002 Jason Giambi - 1 out (14th inning)
    Last edited by Utter Chaos; 07-03-2006 at 12:27 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Elysian Fields
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by Utter Chaos
    I think this should be correct now.

    May 17, 2002 Jason Giambi - 1 out (14th inning)
    Was Giambi's Grand Slam, the only extra inning walk off GS ever?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Long Island!
    Posts
    10,293
    Quote Originally Posted by keving7
    Was Giambi's Grand Slam, the only extra inning walk off GS ever?
    First since Babe Ruth did it in, I believe, 1929. Ruth only had one out, though.

    Best part of that grand slam? The game was about to be called due to rain. If it had been one batter later, the Yankees would have just lost. So the ONLY way the Yanks don't lose that game is if Giambi hits the walkoff slam. A two run single, and they lose. A triple, and they tie.
    "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

    Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,606
    Quote Originally Posted by ElHalo
    First since Babe Ruth did it in, I believe, 1929. Ruth only had one out, though.

    Best part of that grand slam? The game was about to be called due to rain. If it had been one batter later, the Yankees would have just lost. So the ONLY way the Yanks don't lose that game is if Giambi hits the walkoff slam. A two run single, and they lose. A triple, and they tie.
    Upon further research, the Ruth slam on 9/24/1925 was in the 10th inning and as ElHalo mentioned there was only one out.

    On June 12th this year Jason Kubel hit a walk off slam against the Red Sox in the 12th inning but the score was tied at 1 at the time.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Utter Chaos
    Upon further research, the Ruth slam on 9/24/1925 was in the 10th inning and as ElHalo mentioned there was only one out.

    On June 12th this year Jason Kubel hit a walk off slam against the Red Sox in the 12th inning but the score was tied at 1 at the time.
    To add to the impact of Giambi's GS, the Yankees were down by 3 at the time -- which I believe it also true of Ruth's. If I can remember the broadcast of the Giambi game correctly, those were the only two down by 3 walk off grannies ever.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,606
    Quote Originally Posted by liamdaly
    To add to the impact of Giambi's GS, the Yankees were down by 3 at the time -- which I believe it also true of Ruth's. If I can remember the broadcast of the Giambi game correctly, those were the only two down by 3 walk off grannies ever.
    In post #4 I list quite a few "down by 3" walk off grannies. However, Ruth and Giambi may have been the only 2 there occurred in extra innings.

  10. #10
    yeah, I think it was extra innings -- my memory of a broadcast 4 years ago is a little fuzzy

    thanks

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    2,878
    David Eckstein did it last year against the braves I believe...
    People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. -Rogers Hornsby

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,606
    Quote Originally Posted by HankAaron86
    David Eckstein did it last year against the braves I believe...
    You're correct, on 8/7/2005 against the Braves, Eckstein hit a walk off grand slam but there was only one out and the Cardinals were only down 2 not 3.

    http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B08070SLN2005.htm

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Yountville, CA (Napa Valley)
    Posts
    2,584
    "Ultimate grand slam"

    I thought you were referring to breakfast at Denny's.

    Bob

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Utter Chaos View Post
    I think this should be correct now.

    September 9, 1881 Roger Connor - 2 outs
    September 24, 1925 Babe Ruth - 1 out (10th inning)
    May 23, 1936 Sammy Byrd - 0 outs
    July 8, 1950 Jack Phillips - 1 out
    June 16, 1952 Bobby Thomson - 0 outs
    July 15, 1952 Eddie Joost - 0 outs
    September 11, 1955 Del Crandall - 2 outs
    May 11, 1956 Danny Kravitz - 0 outs
    July 25, 1956 Roberto Clemente - 0 outs (inside the park!)
    August 31, 1963 Ellis Burton - 2 outs
    August 2, 1970 Tony Taylor - 0 outs
    August 11, 1970 Carl Taylor - 2 outs
    April 22, 1973 Ron Lolich - 2 outs
    May 1, 1979 Roger Freed - 2 outs
    April 13, 1983 Bo Diaz - 2 outs
    August 31, 1984 Buddy Bell - 2 outs
    April 13, 1985 Phil Bradley - 2 outs
    August 29, 1986 Dick Schofield - 2 outs
    June 21, 1988 Alan Trammell - 2 outs
    May 17, 1996 Chris Hoiles - 2 outs (full count)
    July 28, 2001 Brian Giles - 2 outs
    May 17, 2002 Jason Giambi - 1 out (14th inning)
    Wait! Hold it a minute. Add this name. The most patriotic Grand Slam in the modern era!

    Twins Vs White Sox
    July 4th 1961
    1st game of a double header....

    Twins down by two runs....

    Bases Loaded....bottom of the 9th

    3 & 2 count....

    Pinch Hitter comes to the plate....

    Pow!!!!!! Grand Slam Homer to win the game by 2.

    Who was the batter?

    Julio Becquer....

    I know because I listened to it on the radio when I was a kid and never forgot that homer!

    Julio started with the old Senators in 1955.

    Here is the score card link....if it will show up.

    http://tinyurl.com/2p6szx

    Add him! 2 run win is better than 1 run win!!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,508
    Quote Originally Posted by ElHalo View Post
    First since Babe Ruth did it in, I believe, 1929. Ruth only had one out, though.

    Best part of that grand slam? The game was about to be called due to rain. If it had been one batter later, the Yankees would have just lost. So the ONLY way the Yanks don't lose that game is if Giambi hits the walkoff slam. A two run single, and they lose. A triple, and they tie.
    If the game had been called due to rain before the Yankees completed the bottom of the 14th, the Yankees would not have lost. It would be a suspended game, and they'd have to continue the game at a later date.

    4.10
    (b) If the score is tied after nine completed innings play shall continue until (1) the visiting team has scored more total runs than the home team at the end of a completed inning, or (2) the home team scores the winning run in an uncompleted inning.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Westchester County, NY
    Posts
    3,075
    Quote Originally Posted by Utter Chaos View Post
    I think this should be correct now.

    September 9, 1881 Roger Connor - 2 outs
    September 24, 1925 Babe Ruth - 1 out (10th inning)
    May 23, 1936 Sammy Byrd - 0 outs
    July 8, 1950 Jack Phillips - 1 out
    June 16, 1952 Bobby Thomson - 0 outs
    July 15, 1952 Eddie Joost - 0 outs
    September 11, 1955 Del Crandall - 2 outs
    May 11, 1956 Danny Kravitz - 0 outs
    July 25, 1956 Roberto Clemente - 0 outs (inside the park!)
    August 31, 1963 Ellis Burton - 2 outs
    August 2, 1970 Tony Taylor - 0 outs
    August 11, 1970 Carl Taylor - 2 outs
    April 22, 1973 Ron Lolich - 2 outs
    May 1, 1979 Roger Freed - 2 outs
    April 13, 1983 Bo Diaz - 2 outs
    August 31, 1984 Buddy Bell - 2 outs
    April 13, 1985 Phil Bradley - 2 outs
    August 29, 1986 Dick Schofield - 2 outs
    June 21, 1988 Alan Trammell - 2 outs
    May 17, 1996 Chris Hoiles - 2 outs (full count)
    July 28, 2001 Brian Giles - 2 outs
    May 17, 2002 Jason Giambi - 1 out (14th inning)
    Hard to believe that in all the MLB games that have been played, only Hoiles has done it with a full count. I know that I did it many, many times with a full count in my backyard as a kid....

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Bryant, AR
    Posts
    557
    Quote Originally Posted by keving7 View Post
    Was Giambi's Grand Slam, the only extra inning walk off GS ever?
    No. Clemente's ended the game also. Here are the details that I researched for my trivia book..........

    Roberto Clemente rallied the Pirates past the Cubs 9-8 on July 25, 1956, by blasting an inside-the-park grand slam in the bottom of the ninth inning at Forbes Field. The Cubs had scored seven in the eighth to overcome a four-run Pittsburgh lead and added one in the ninth to make it 8-5, but the Pirates rallied with two walks and a single, bringing Clemente to the plate as the winning run. Chicago brought in Jim Brosnan in relief of Turk Lown and Clemente jumped on his first pitch, sending it to deep left-center field, clearing the bases and tying the game. Pirates’ manager Bobby Bragan attempted to hold Clemente at third with no one out, but Clemente ran through Bragan’s “stop sign” and slid safely into home, just beating a close play at the plate. Clemente is the only player to end a game with an inside-the-park grand slam.
    Author of Big League Trivia - Facts, Figures, Oddities and Coincidences from our National Pastime.
    www.big-league-trivia.blogspot.com

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,606
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
    Hard to believe that in all the MLB games that have been played, only Hoiles has done it with a full count. I know that I did it many, many times with a full count in my backyard as a kid....
    Some of those other walk off Grand Slams could have been with a full count but that information generally wasn't available until the last few decades.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    186
    Rick Joseph also hit an extra-inning walkoff slam. He did it on September 16, 1967 with one out in the bottom of the 11th inning off Ron Perranoski. It gave the Phillies an 8-4 win over the Dodgers and was the first homer Joseph would hit. And it came as a pinch-hitter as well.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    10
    Hard to believe that in all the MLB games that have been played, only Hoiles has done it with a full count. I know that I did it many, many times with a full count in my backyard as a kid....
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but...

    I believe Alan Trammell hit his grand slam on a full count in the bottom of the ninth, also. Roger Freed hit his on a full count, but in the 11th inning.
    Last edited by clinikillz; 01-18-2011 at 11:14 AM.
    For more enjoyment and greater efficiency, consumption is being standardized.

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by clinikillz View Post
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but...

    I believe Alan Trammell hit his grand slam on a full count in the bottom of the ninth, also. Roger Freed hit his on a full count, but in the 11th inning.
    Some posters do it all the time.

    This is why threads don't get deleted too often around here. Nice additional information.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin Bill JEDI

  22. #22
    Clemente's was the only walk off inside the park grand slam to win the game while trailing by 3 in history andto me that is the ultimate

    never before or after has this been accomplished
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://somgamersparadiseforum.smfforfree4.com/index.php

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    under the broadwalk, NJ
    Posts
    276
    How about the one that wasn't.
    It wasn't with 2 outs but does anyone remember the one I'm referring to?

  24. #24
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    400
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMaysHayes View Post
    How about the one that wasn't.
    It wasn't with 2 outs but does anyone remember the one I'm referring to?
    Robin Ventura?
    "Heck, all I got was a $100 check. I should have kept it and framed it, but I had to eat".

    Infielder Bob Hegman, when asked if he received a World Series ring for playing one inning of one game with the World
    Champion 1985 Kansas City Royals.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    under the broadwalk, NJ
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by Spindlebrook View Post
    Robin Ventura?
    That wasn't hit down three runs.
    The one I'm referring to happened against the Yankee's in the '70's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •