Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 34 of 34

Thread: "Manny being Manny"

  1. #26
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Western Massachusetts
    Posts
    11,560
    Watching the Red Sox quite often, I have to say Manny's laziness and disinterest in the field is largely an overblown myth by this point. When he first came to the Red Sox, in 2002 I think, he could be lazy and refuse to run out groud balls, and just not always paying attention. He's gotten much better to the point where I certainly would say I'm happy to have him in left field. Manny has a good arm, always has, and throws out a lot of runners. He has learned to play balls off the wall nicely and get good jumps on balls. He is a good and team player respected by teammates. Manny's whole "Manny being Manny" persona has come from a few isolated incidents, most of which were made out to be far more than they were.

    I was actually at the game when Manny cut off the throw, BTW. Hilarious, and I can't defend him there, but overall he has not been such a bad fielder or teammate.

  2. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by 538280
    Watching the Red Sox quite often, I have to say Manny's laziness and disinterest in the field is largely an overblown myth by this point. When he first came to the Red Sox, in 2002 I think, he could be lazy and refuse to run out groud balls, and just not always paying attention. He's gotten much better to the point where I certainly would say I'm happy to have him in left field. Manny has a good arm, always has, and throws out a lot of runners. He has learned to play balls off the wall nicely and get good jumps on balls. He is a good and team player respected by teammates. Manny's whole "Manny being Manny" persona has come from a few isolated incidents, most of which were made out to be far more than they were.

    I was actually at the game when Manny cut off the throw, BTW. Hilarious, and I can't defend him there, but overall he has not been such a bad fielder or teammate.
    Are you a...Red Sox fan, Little Joe?!

  3. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by albertpujols
    lol Manny---

    What crazy misadventures will he wind up in next?
    Next time on the new hit comedy, "Manny"....

  4. #29
    If Manny were ever traded to the Yankees, would Steinbrenner force him to cut his dreadlocks off?

    What happens when an unrestrainable free spirit collides with an inpenetrable object? LOL!


  5. #30

    Exclamation

    Holy cow, Manny just threw his bat at the umpire!!!


  6. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Seattle1
    Holy cow, Manny just threw his bat at the umpire!!!

    I missed it. What happened exactly?

    Edit: He hasn't been ejected, so I have a hard time believing that he clearly threw his bat at the ump. What's up?
    Last edited by SoxSon; 07-23-2006 at 01:51 PM.

  7. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxSon
    I missed it. What happened exactly?

    Edit: He hasn't been ejected, so I have a hard time believeing that he clearly threw his bat at the ump. What's up?
    He whipped his bat back toward the ump when taking off for first on a ground out. They kept replaying it and the announcers said he was lucky he didn't get thrown out of the game. I guess he was upset by a called strike earlier in the at-bat.

  8. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Seattle1
    He whipped his bat back toward the ump when taking off for first on a ground out. They kept replaying it and the announcers said he was lucky he didn't get thrown out of the game. I guess he was upset by a called strike earlier in the at-bat.
    Hmm. Wish I had caught it. I heard them say something about him being unhappy witht the ump earlier, but I didn't see any replay.

    The umpire must not have felt that it was intentional, or Manny would've been out of there in a heartbeat, I would think.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    925

    Exclamation >>>>

    Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxVT92
    Yeah Manny does make some bad plays like the time last year when he couldnt catch two flyballs that he lost in the sun in the same inning or the back to back errors he made in the world series. But I still stand by that he trys his hardest and sometimes Manny errors can overshadow some of his talent.
    I believe the two flyballs were on Patriots Day, a holiday in MA, the ballgame starts at 11AM, so people watching the ballgame can leave the park in time to catch most of the Boston Marathon. Other fielders had trouble because of the sun that day; early in the season, early in the day.

    About a week ago, he did a headfirst slide. We remember what happened after another headfirst slide. So why would he ever do it again? Why would he ever run through the third base coach with the STOP sign out?

    That's Manny. Just when you think you've seen everything. Remember the catch up against the wall? I was sure he broke bones. He uncurled, stood up and grinned. What can you do? Scream and cheer at the same time?

    We'll keep him. I'd be interested to see him play first base in an exhibition game.
    Varitek=Future Red Sox Manager
    Boston Boxer - a Real Hero

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •