X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brownie31
    Urbi et Orbi
    • Feb 2006

Wednesday, June 23, 1954 Comiskey Park Chicago: Manager Bucky Harris of the Washington Senators readies seventeen year old Harmon Killebrew for his major league debut. Killebrew, a $50,000.00 "Bonus Baby", and the Senators would lose 8-6 to the White Sox. (Corbis)

Brownie31
    Attached Files

Comment

• Brownie31
      Urbi et Orbi
      • Feb 2006

Subbing For The Chief!

Tuesday, April 14, 1942 Griffith Stadium Washington DC: Vice President Henry A. Wallace steps in for President Roosevelt to throw out the first pitch of the season as managers Bucky Harris of the Washington Senators and Joe McCarthy of the New York Yankees look on. The Yankees inaugurated wartime baseball with a 7-0 victory over the Senators. (Corbis)

Brownie31
      Attached Files

Comment

• Brownie31
        Urbi et Orbi
        • Feb 2006

Friday, April 21, 1939 Griffith Stadium Washington DC: Substituting for President Roosevelt, Vice President John Nance Garner tosses out the first pitch as Bucky Harris, Senators manager, and Joe McCarthy, Yankees manager look on. The Yankees would win 6-3 and roll to their fourth consecutive World Series championship while Harris' Senators would stumble home in sixth place. (Corbis)

Brownie31
        Attached Files

Comment

• Brownie31
          Urbi et Orbi
          • Feb 2006

The Washington Senators inaugurate spring training in 1936. Much like college football teams open their games today!

Brownie31
          Attached Files

Comment

• Aa3rt
            Still a Senators fan!
            • Oct 2003

1936 Senators information...

Another great (and unusual) photo, Brownie31!

The 1936 Senators would finish in fourth place with a 82-71 record, and a .536 winning percentage. The New York Yankees (Who else? ) would win the pennant with a 102-51 record and .667 winning percentage.

Some highlights of the season: The Senators would lead the American League in stolen bases (104), triples (84) and would tie with the Cleveland Indians for fewest home runs allowed (73). Unfortunately, the Senators would only hit 62 homers, with 1st baseman Joe Kuehl (16) and outfielder John Stone (15) accounting for exactly half of the home runs hit.

Playing their home games in expansive Griffith Stadium helps account for the league lead in triples and the absence of home runs.
            "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

• Brownie31
              Urbi et Orbi
              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Aa3rt
              Another great (and unusual) photo, Brownie31!

The 1936 Senators would finish in fourth place with a 82-71 record, and a .536 winning percentage. The New York Yankees (Who else? ) would win the pennant with a 102-51 record and .667 winning percentage.

Some highlights of the season: The Senators would lead the American League in stolen bases (104), triples (84) and would tie with the Cleveland Indians for fewest home runs allowed (73). Unfortunately, the Senators would only hit 62 homers, with 1st baseman Joe Kuehl (16) and outfielder John Stone (15) accounting for exactly half of the home runs hit.

Playing their home games in expansive Griffith Stadium helps account for the league lead in triples and the absence of home runs.
              Thanks! It is quite unusual.

Brownie31

Comment

• Brownie31
                Urbi et Orbi
                • Feb 2006

Tuesday, July 10, 1956 Griffith Stadium Washington, DC: A packed crowd watches the start of the 1956 All Star Game at Griffith Stadium. The National Leaguers were victorious 7-3. (Corbis)

Brownie31
                Attached Files

Comment

• Brownie31
                  Urbi et Orbi
                  • Feb 2006

March 1929 Tampa, FL: Joe Cronin, agile Washington Senators infielder, makes a stab for the ball in spring training. (Corbis)

Brownie31
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Brownie31
                    Urbi et Orbi
                    • Feb 2006

Vice President Thomas Marshall substitutes for his boss, President Woodrow Wilson, throwing out the first pitch of the season with Washington Manager Clark Griffith looking on. This photo probably dates from either 1919, when Wilson was tied up in the Versailles Peace Conference, or 1920 when he had been incapacitated by a stroke. (Corbis)

Brownie31
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Brownie31
                      Urbi et Orbi
                      • Feb 2006

1924 Washington Post cartoon honors the World Champions.

Brownie31

Comment

• Brownie31
                        Urbi et Orbi
                        • Feb 2006

Tuesday, April 14, 1936 Griffith Stadium Washington, DC: A beaming President Franklin D. Roosevelt prepares to throw out the first pitch of the season as Senators Manager Bucky Harris and Yankee Manager Joe McCarthy look on. The President and other loyal fans were treated to a 1-0 Senators victory pitched by Bobo Newsom. From there Harris' Senators went on to an 82-71 fourth place finish.

Brownie31
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Aa3rt
                          Still a Senators fan!
                          • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Brownie31
                          Tuesday, April 14, 1936 Griffith Stadium Washington, DC: A beaming President Franklin D. Roosevelt prepares to throw out the first pitch of the season as Senators Manager Bucky Harris and Yankee Manager Joe McCarthy look on. The President and other loyal fans were treated to a 1-0 Senators victory pitched by Bobo Newsom.

Brownie31
                          Bobo Newsom fun facts-

Louis Norman (Bobo) Newsom's career spanned from 1929 through 1953 although he didn't appear in the major leagues in 1931, 1949, 1950 or 1951.

The well travelled Newsome played for Brooklyn (twice), the Chicago Cubs, the St. Louis Browns (on three seperate occasions), the Washington Senators (five seperate stints), Boston Red Sox, Detroit Tigers, Philadelphia Athletics (twice) the New York Yankees and the New York Giants.

Bobo is quoted as having said "I played for Washington five different times. That beat Franklin Delano Roosevelt's record. He was only elected four times."

Bobo is the first major league player to have worn the number "00" during his fourth stint with the Senators in 1946/1947.

Bobo Newsom career record
                          "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

• Brownie31
                            Urbi et Orbi
                            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Aa3rt
                            Bobo Newsom fun facts-

Louis Norman (Bobo) Newsom's career spanned from 1929 through 1953 although he didn't appear in the major leagues in 1931, 1949, 1950 or 1951.

The well travelled Newsome played for Brooklyn (twice), the Chicago Cubs, the St. Louis Browns (on three seperate occasions), the Washington Senators (five seperate stints), Boston Red Sox, Detroit Tigers, Philadelphia Athletics (twice) the New York Yankees and the New York Giants.

Bobo is quoted as having said "I played for Washington five different times. That beat Franklin Delano Roosevelt's record. He was only elected four times."

Bobo is the first major league player to have worn the number "00" during his fourth stint with the Senators in 1946/1947.

Bobo Newsom career record
                            I believe that I read somewhere that Newsome is the only person to pitch to both Babe Ruth and Mickey Mantle!

Brownie31

Comment

• Brownie31
                              Urbi et Orbi
                              • Feb 2006

Monday, April 8, 1963 DC Stadium, Washington DC: President John F. Kennedy and other important political figures such as Senator Hubert H. Humphrey watch a foul come into the stands as Mickey Vernon's Senators lose 3-1 to the Baltimore Orioles. Sadly, this would be JFK's final season opener. (Corbis)

Brownie31
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Brownie31
                                Urbi et Orbi
                                • Feb 2006

President Franklin D. Roosevelt throws out the first pitch of game three of the 1933 World Series as Joe Cronin and Bill Terry look on.

Brownie31
                                Last edited by Brownie31; 04-03-2007, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X