Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Senators links, sites and photos

Ossie!

Longtime Senators infielder (and wartime manager) Ossie Bluege stares
    (and we do mean stares!) into the camera!

Brownie31
    Attached Images Attached Images

Monday, April 26, 1915 The Polo Grounds New York: Washington Senators manager Clark Griffith is shown in the visitors dugout just prior to his team suffering a 9-2 loss to the New York Yankees. The 1915 Senators would finish in fourth place with an 85-68 record. (Corbis)

Man, that coat is something else. And that bat looks exceptionally long, too.

I always wonder... are the "die-hard" Senators fans also fans of the new Washington Nationals?

Quote Originally Posted by bryanac625
    Man, that coat is something else. And that bat looks exceptionally long, too.

I always wonder... are the "die-hard" Senators fans also fans of the new Washington Nationals?
    The coat was probably made to order. After all, Griffith was manager and owner! Quite a bat too!

Brownie31

Saturday, April 21, 1917 National Park Washington, DC: A mere nineteen days after the U.S. entry into World War I, Assistant Secretary of the Navy Franklin D. Roosevelt smartly leads the Washington Senators on the field military style. Manager Clark Griffith's Senators would defeat Connie Mack's Philadelphia A's 11-6 en route to a 74-79 fifth place finish.

Brownie31

Wednesday, April 12, 1933 Griffith Stadium Washington DC: President Franklin D. Roosevelt throws out the first of the season as Wasington manager Joe Cronin, Vice President John Nance Garner and a host of other dignateries look on. Cronin's Senators would defeat Connie Mack's Philadelphia A's 4-1 en route to a 99-51 record and the American League pennant. (Corbis)

Brownie31

Comiskey Park Chicago 1917: As Senator team members watch, Washington manager Clark Griffith makes a presentation to Major Walter Fisher of the 2nd Artillery. Bats and balls had been collected for the American fighting men of World War I. (Chicago Daily News)

Brownie31

Monday, April 10, 1961 Griffith Stadium Washington DC: President John F. Kennedy watches intently as Mickey Vernon's Senators lose 4-3 to the Chicago White Sox en route to a 61-100 ninth place finish. (Corbis)

Brownie31

Thursday, April 16, 1953 Griffith Stadium Washington, DC: As managers Bucky Harris of the Washington Senators and Casey Stengel of the New York Yankees look on, President Dwight D. Eisenhower tosses out the first pitch of the season. The Senators, en route to a 76-76 fifth place finish, dropped the opener 6-3 to the Yankees. (Corbis)

Brownie31

Saturday, October 8, 1932 Griffith Stadium Washington DC: Like most big league ball parks, Griffith Stadium switched to football when the baseball season ended. Here is action from the 1932 Alabama-George Washington game showing John "Hurri" Cain of Alabama with the ball. Cain would score all four touchdowns as the Crimson Tide defeated the Colonials 28-6. The crowd of 26,000 was the largest up to that time to see a football game in Washington, DC. (Corbis)

Brownie31

Least Valuble Senator

Least Valuable Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Yankwood
    Least Valuable Senator
    She has 99 others battling her fiercely for that award!

Brownie31

Least Valuable Senator
    When I saw the title I was expecting a photo of Denny Mac Lain!!!
    "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Quote Originally Posted by Aa3rt
    When I saw the title I was expecting a photo of Denny Mac Lain!!!
    Denny was bad for Senators fans. Let's hope this Senator doesn't affect the whole nation.

Tuesday, April 12, 1927 Griffith Stadium Washington DC: President Calvin Coolidge readies to throw out the first pitch of the season. Manager Bucky Harris looks on. Harris' Senators would open with a 6-2 win over the Boston Red Sox en route to an 85-69 third place finish.

Brownie31

Sign of the times: Bucky may be the only person in the picture without a hat on.

Sign of the times: Bucky may be the only person in the picture without a hat on.
    You are right-male or female!

Brownie31

Monday, April 11, 1955 Griffith Stadium Washington DC: President Dwight D. Eisenhower autographs a baseball as Charlie Dressen, new Senators manager, looks on. The President and over 26,000 other loyal fans would watch Dressen's Senators romp past the Baltimore Orioles 12-5 en route to a dismal 53-101 eighth place finish. (Corbis)

Quote Originally Posted by Brownie31
    The President and over 26,000 other loyal fans would watch Dressen's Senators romp past the Baltimore Orioles 12-5 en route to a dismal 53-101 eighth place finish. (Corbis)
    The Baltimore Orioles, in only their second season in Baltimore, would finish at 57-97 in seventh place. The Senators record in 1954 was 66-88. Their 1955 season record marked an additional 13 losses.

Great photos, Brownie31!!! Thanks again.
    "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Quote Originally Posted by Aa3rt
    The Baltimore Orioles, in only their second season in Baltimore, would finish at 57-97 in seventh place. The Senators record in 1954 was 66-88. Their 1955 season record marked an additional 13 losses.

Great photos, Brownie31!!! Thanks again.
    My pleasure!

Brownie31

Wednesday, June 23, 1954 Comiskey Park Chicago: Manager Bucky Harris of the Washington Senators readies seventeen year old Harmon Killebrew for his major league debut. Killebrew, a $50,000.00 "Bonus Baby", and the Senators would lose 8-6 to the White Sox. (Corbis)

Brownie31

Subbing For The Chief!

Tuesday, April 14, 1942 Griffith Stadium Washington DC: Vice President Henry A. Wallace steps in for President Roosevelt to throw out the first pitch of the season as managers Bucky Harris of the Washington Senators and Joe McCarthy of the New York Yankees look on. The Yankees inaugurated wartime baseball with a 7-0 victory over the Senators. (Corbis)

Brownie31

Friday, April 21, 1939 Griffith Stadium Washington DC: Substituting for President Roosevelt, Vice President John Nance Garner tosses out the first pitch as Bucky Harris, Senators manager, and Joe McCarthy, Yankees manager look on. The Yankees would win 6-3 and roll to their fourth consecutive World Series championship while Harris' Senators would stumble home in sixth place. (Corbis)

Brownie31

The Washington Senators inaugurate spring training in 1936. Much like college football teams open their games today!

Brownie31

1936 Senators information...

Another great (and unusual) photo, Brownie31!

The 1936 Senators would finish in fourth place with a 82-71 record, and a .536 winning percentage. The New York Yankees (Who else? ) would win the pennant with a 102-51 record and .667 winning percentage.

Some highlights of the season: The Senators would lead the American League in stolen bases (104), triples (84) and would tie with the Cleveland Indians for fewest home runs allowed (73). Unfortunately, the Senators would only hit 62 homers, with 1st baseman Joe Kuehl (16) and outfielder John Stone (15) accounting for exactly half of the home runs hit.

Playing their home games in expansive Griffith Stadium helps account for the league lead in triples and the absence of home runs.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast