Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds, Nats make monster trade

Reds, Nats make monster trade

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/p...tnered=rss_was

Nationals acquired SS Felipe Lopez, OF Austin Kearns and RHP Ryan Wagner from the Reds for RHP Gary Majewski, LHP Bill Bray, SS Royce Clayton, INF Brendan Harris and RHP Daryl Thompson.

Kearns, Lopez, and Wagner are great. I won't miss Clayton at all. Harris was going nowhere with us. Majewski and Bray were a little inconsistent.
    The Q: Can the Cubs hold a 6-5 lead with 2 outs and nobody on in the 9th?

The A: No

***********My Rant on Bud Selig***********
    Selig is like a stray pigeon. Pigeons are too self-absorbed to care about anyone else. They poo on people they don't like; they poo on people they don't even know. The only real difference between Selig and a pigeon is that Selig intends to bury our heritage, our traditions, and our culture,

Bowden just sodomized the Reds. GREAT deal for us! A 30 HR, 100 RBI guy, and a 20 HR, 40 steal guy for two middle relievers, a has-been, and two never-weres.

Obviously Bowden hasn't been drinking today.

harsh

Quote Originally Posted by strike3
    Bowden just sodomized the Reds. GREAT deal for us! A 30 HR, 100 RBI guy, and a 20 HR, 40 steal guy for two middle relievers, a has-been, and two never-weres.

Obviously Bowden hasn't been drinking today.
    i think sodomized, is a bit of a harsh word...but, not a bad trade for the
    nats..But keep in mind, Kearns strikes out a lot...and his BA can go
    up and down...maybe he'll improve himself with the NATS...AT Least
    kearns didn't end up back at louisville....the reds felt that they got
    some good value as well...so it'll be interesting to see the short term
    and long term effects of this monster trade...

Now the Nationals could be a very serious competitor now, knowing if they get Kearns to play, this is going to ultimately mean bye bye Jose Guillen. Now they have a very dangerous shortstop, a backup outfielder. They need to improve pitching too if they want to contend with the bad boys of the NL (Florida and NY Mets).

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Kearn's acquisition ensures that Soriano's gone. I like the bats they picked up, but I hate that they gave away two young arms. I hope they pick up another major league ready pitcher in addition to whatever prospects they get.

The new ownership starts off the second half with a big bang. It's a very good trade for the Nats if Kearns stays healthy,which he has this year. He's having the best year since he was a rookie .315 hitter. Lopez had a breakout season last year with 97 runs,23 homers and 85 RBI's. He won't match those this year but he's a solid shortstop offensively and defensively. Giving up Majewski and Bray makes me think that the Nats must have some deals for pitching in the works. Good job Stan Kasten and company!

Absolutely a great trade. We're going nowhere this year and landing two starting players and a potentail ace set up guy for a solid contributing 7th inning reliever and a good arm, WOW! I've been disgusted with Bowden for the most part so far but this deal just turned all that around. I say sign Soriano to an extension and move Guillen to address pitching and work the offseason for some FA pitchers. Now I just hope that we keep Soriano because he's been playing well AND he wants to stay. Lets make him happy!

Great deal for Nats

1) Kearns, great bat,
    2) Lopez is a PREMIER SS!
    3) Wagner is...ok.
    4) I will miss Bray, he had a future
    5) Majewski was inconsistent, but he's still solid, he might close for cincy.

No, "sodomized" is too weak a word. Holycow I cannot fathom why on earth the Reds would self-sabotage the team with this idiotic move. UNLESS, perhaps they know something about Kearns and Lopez that we don't (like an injury maybe).

The Nats gave up basically nothing. The best player was Majewski? Cmon!

Congrats to you guys.

I can't believe I am seeing some reservation from some of you about this trade!

This deal is equivalent to the Mets (I am a Met fan) giving up Chad Bradford, Pedro Feliciano, Chris Woodward, and two minor leaguers for those guys. Where do I sign up for that??

The deal was not quite Kazmir for Zambrano bad for the Reds, but it's close.

I think sodomized is too weak too, we totally "screwed" them on this one!

I'll miss you Billy Bray!
    Cristobal

I'm thinking Guillen might be part of the next trade, rather than Soriano.

Right now, Soriano's numbers are way too good to part with, if the Nats are thinking about making a run. And Guillen's numbers are way down this season. True, he has some nagging injuries that might put a damper on any trade-talk, but another team might be able to withstand him being on the DL for 15 days while he heals.

Looking at the roster, there are 8 pitchers currently on the DL, four of them starters. A little help in that direction will be needed if they're going to move up in the standings.

I'm wondering if Livan and Vidro might be on the table, as well.
    CBk Oldtimer #16 now #29

I wonder what the Nats will do to fill the hole in middle relief, which was generating a LOT of innings this year -- I liked both Majewski and Bray. Good move unloading Clayton. I'm guessing that Vidro, Livan, Guillen and Soriano will all be gone soon. Soriano's stock is probably as high right now as it's going to get, coming off an all-star starting appearance.

I hated to give up Bill Bray, but I like this trade. I was worried about trading both Soriano and Guille, thinking this would leave a huge hole in the OF, but now I feel better about trading one or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Monarchs29
    Right now, Soriano's numbers are way too good to part with, if the Nats are thinking about making a run.
    A run? At a division title? From last place? With five injured starting pitchers?

Sounds crazy. Let's do it!

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/b...ports-baseball

I just heard the Nats signed Luis Matos.
    Orioles: Once fine organization, being run into the ground by Peter Angelos.

Quote Originally Posted by va_nats_fan
    A run? At a division title? From last place? With five injured starting pitchers?

Sounds crazy. Let's do it!
    The Wild Card isnt out of the question.

LOL - The Nats have made loads of moves in just 24hrs!!!

I hope these moves make our 2nd half of '06 like the 1st half of '05. I'd like to shock the world and win 83 games with this team.
    The Q: Can the Cubs hold a 6-5 lead with 2 outs and nobody on in the 9th?

The A: No

***********My Rant on Bud Selig***********
    Selig is like a stray pigeon. Pigeons are too self-absorbed to care about anyone else. They poo on people they don't like; they poo on people they don't even know. The only real difference between Selig and a pigeon is that Selig intends to bury our heritage, our traditions, and our culture,

Quote Originally Posted by KingJ
    I hope these moves make our 2nd half of '06 like the 1st half of '05. I'd like to shock the world and win 83 games with this team.
    At the very least, we have sent a message to the rest of the team that we will make changes if the production isnt there.

I love the trade! It's all about youth. Lopez had actually been at the top of my reasonnable wish list since Orlando left! Great pickup. And Kearns can be huge!

But what's this talk about making a run? No no no, unload Guillen, Soriano, and maybe Livan and Vidro if you can get good value, and rebuild I say, rebuild! Rebuild around Patterson, Zimmerman, and Cordero...

In 3 years, we'll be ready!

Welcome back Steve! We missed you! I know you'll miss Bray. You were his biggest supporter on this site. The Nats knew what they were giving up in middle relief and I think they must have replacements in mind. We'll see more transactions in the next two weeks. It gives us hope for the second half as well as the future.

Quote Originally Posted by wilkerson_rulz-06
    I think sodomized is too weak too, we totally "screwed" them on this one!

I'll miss you Billy Bray!

WE GOT LUIS MATOS!!!!
    YES!!!
    Bye-bye Guillen!!

Our solution, hopefully, Matos can learn to hit again and lead off...oh boy...
    Cristobal

Matos will double his first half total of 5 RBI's by mid august!

Under the Knickerbocker beer sign at the Polo Grounds
    Just exactly what WERE the Reds thinking of? This is the most one-sided mega-deal I've seen in years and years?

NO good can come to the Reds for this. This trade almost puts Bowden in the HOF (snicker, snicker).
    "I do not care if half the league strikes. Those who do it will encounter quick retribution. All will be suspended and I don't care if it wrecks the National League for five years. This is the United States of America and one citizen has as much right to play as another. The National League will go down the line with Robinson whatever the consequences. You will find if you go through with your intention that you have been guilty of complete madness."

NL President Ford Frick, 1947

I guess this answers my question of whether or not Nats fans like the deal

Don't be shocked when Lopez is a 1.5 year rent a player...he's a Boras guy and has already asked the Reds for 10M per based on last year. I really hope AK is as good as I always wanted him to be as a Nat...but look for his power to suffer in DC. His 16 HR so far have been about 75% fence scrapers. He's probably still a 280/25 guy, and his defense is pretty solid. You'll all be wishing for a defensive replacement for FeLo by August I would imagine....makes some great plays, then throws the ball away on routine ones.

As I said on the Reds side of things.... I'll hold judgement for now. I think it does shoot the Reds' WC hopes in the foot though....but makes them look strong next year and down the road, especially if they lock up Dunn long term with the money saved here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast