Thread: Can I Talk Softball Here?

Can I Talk Softball Here?

I know this is a baseball forum but I wonder if I can slip in a little Softball into the discussions? Is anyone is watching any of the Women's World Cup of Softball, being held in Oklahoma City at the moment? Of course USA has dominated this sport since it went international, and they are currently 14-0 up in the game aginst Great Britain, top of 5th. One thing I have noticed is that the entire USA starting lineup comes from California, which begs a question - how widespread is Softball throughout USA in comparison to Women's Baseball?

If I am out of order in talking Softball here, please tell - politely though.
    "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

I'd like to read the softball discussion. Watched a little yesterday but like you said it was a blowout.

Not sure about the softball to baseball question but i don't think too many woman play baseball percentage-wise versus softball. Others here are actually female baseball players but no one talks about current leagues/players/tournaments or posts a relevant website so that might be the answer.

NotAboutEgo Guest
    I have posted my team's web site a couple of times. I haven't gotten back to posting more of them women's sites out there. Perhaps that can be brought up as a topic... what women's teams, leagues, and orgs are out there for women's baseball... worldwide. I know of a slew of them.

Percentage-wise, more women play softball here because that is what is more readily available. But, according to some polls and experience with talking with women and girls, baseball is the preferred sport over softball.

It would be interesting to see a league develop a strong enough base to attract a tv audience and in turn possible acknowledgement and support from mlb like the wnba.

NotAboutEgo Guest
    There are many leagues throughout the country, some larger and stronger than others. There have been many talks about combining them to make one big league that could be propelled into a semi-pro or pro league. Hasn't happened yet... sometimes there are too many egos involved which stifle progress. Of course, to support a national league, we would need to get sponsors... i.e. MLB. Not sure how leagues are doing with this as I haven't been to any meetings in a while. The North American Women's Baseball League was supposed to be sort of a model for a women's national/pro league. They seem to be doing well (based on what I've seen of their web site), and they have someone who has the money to support them. It would really be nice to get MLB backing us like the NBA backing the WNBA. It takes a lot of work, effort, and money, but it can happen. The interest (at least on our part) is definitely there.

John Kovach in South Bend, Indiana has successfully created a women's club baseball team for St. Mary's U./Notre Dame, and it will serve as a model collegiate program for other colleges. This should help the cause for developing a women's pro league. I haven't talked to him in a while, so I don't know how it's going, but I will check on that.

Watching the World Cup today, I noticed a really silly rule which seems to make no sense. A lady was called out at second base with two outs because she took her helmet off. Ridiculous rule.

Also noted that the East Coast must not be producing softball players. Is it just not popular here? I never see it covered here in Baltimore in the newspapers.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmckenna
    It would be interesting to see a league develop a strong enough base to attract a tv audience and in turn possible acknowledgement and support from mlb like the wnba.
    In Chicago,where softball was invented,the White Sox have a working relationship with the Chicago Bandits women's pro softball team.

The Bandits have appeared at Sox Fest for the past couple of years,and have some of thier games carried on CSN Chicago.

Talk all the softball you want.

As far as I am concerned. There is also another good site out there if your interested.

http://www.ultimatecollegesoftball.com/

Lots of discussion at every level of play including your subject line. At this point the USA is looking pretty strong but a lot of softball to be played.

Elliott.

NotAboutEgo Guest
    Not sure about softball on the East Coast, Bkmckenna. I have watched a little of the college women's softball in the past, and I knew a woman who played for one of the pro teams (she was going to play baseball with my team until she was drafted by Houston), but I am MUCH more schooled in baseball. I know there are a lot of women's baseball teams and leagues out there, but I don't know anything about East Coast softball.

Quote Originally Posted by Chisox73
    In Chicago,where softball was invented,the White Sox have a working relationship with the Chicago Bandits women's pro softball team.

The Bandits have appeared at Sox Fest for the past couple of years,and have some of thier games carried on CSN Chicago.
    Interesting info there Chisox. How strong is Softball in Chicago these days - given, as I noted earlier, that the starting line-up in the USA team against Gt Britain was entirely Californian.

Ifubuildit I think it is a foregone conclusion. Australia is probably the closest rival and USA whipped us.

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Saw the end of the championship game versus Japan. As the teams were high fiving each other, the camera was focused on Cat Osterman. Interestingly, I never loss sight of her entire face. No Japanese player stood above her chin.

I caught the end of the game as well - Catt Osterman (note she is from Texas) pitched really well, completing the 7 innings with just 2 hits and 11 K's. The 5-2 win for USA gave them a tournament tally of 59 runs against just 3!! It was a sellout crowd of 6234 at Hall of Fame Stadium at Oklahoma City - I presume that is where the Softball Hall of Fame is located?

Unfortunately I did not catch any of the 3rd place playoff game - nor the result - between Australia and Canada, and was unaware that Australia had suffered losses to both Japan and Canada in the tournament. This was a very disappointing tournament for Australia. I also did not realise that Japan was the defending Champion, having beaten USA last year. I was, however, glad that ESPN actually gave the game some coverage, as I enjoyed the games I was able to see.

Thank you for allowing me to discuss Softball here!

from what i see, USA Women Softball has been almost untouchable. Remember the Olympics? Undefeated.

There's many baseball leagues out there, just like softball... only the baseball leagues just havent gotten the attention it deserves. There's a magazine called Real Sports that focus on womens sports and have gotten good recognition there for softball. As a matter of fact, the USA Women's BASEBALL team is currently underway for tryouts, but no one is hearing anything about it.

College Softball I see in the news every once in a blue moon.

NotAboutEgo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepingBaseball
    There's many baseball leagues out there, just like softball... only the baseball leagues just havent gotten the attention it deserves. There's a magazine called Real Sports that focus on womens sports and have gotten good recognition there for softball. As a matter of fact, the USA Women's BASEBALL team is currently underway for tryouts, but no one is hearing anything about it.

College Softball I see in the news every once in a blue moon.
    I have been following the articles of Real Sports and the Women's Sports Foundation. These types of orgs are trying to get more exposure for women's baseball and for women's sports in general, but it takes time and money and people willing to give it attention. Unfortunately, softball over shadows women's baseball, even if it is only on once in a blue moon. Seems that things like women's softball, the U.S. women's national soccer team, and other women's sports have spotty coverage, and it's usually when there is a big championship. Hardly ever get to see a whole season's worth of coverage. Just think... the WNBA has been around for OVER 10 years, and the league is just now starting to get decent coverage...

I turned Tv on this morning and was amazed that ESPN were covering an NPF (National Pro Fastpitch) Softball from Lisle Il, between Chicago Bandits (22-3) and a new team this year, Philadelphia Force (7-19). The Force won the game 6-2 ending a 10 game winning streak of the competition leaders Chicago. The Force line up included USA nationals Natasha Watley and Jenny Finch, while Chicago included Vicki Colindo. The teams in the NPF also include New England Riptide, Arizona Heat, Akron Racers, Texas Thunder and another new team, Connecticut Brakettes. This is the first time I have ever seen softball, other than World Championship or Olympic competition on Tv here.

So now I ask - when will Women's Baseball become televised?

I like cat shes hot,good, and from Texas.

NotAboutEgo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DownUnderDodger
    I turned Tv on this morning and was amazed that ESPN were covering an NPF (National Pro Fastpitch) Softball from Lisle Il, between Chicago Bandits (22-3) and a new team this year, Philadelphia Force (7-19). The Force won the game 6-2 ending a 10 game winning streak of the competition leaders Chicago. The Force line up included USA nationals Natasha Watley and Jenny Finch, while Chicago included Vicki Colindo. The teams in the NPF also include New England Riptide, Arizona Heat, Akron Racers, Texas Thunder and another new team, Connecticut Brakettes. This is the first time I have ever seen softball, other than World Championship or Olympic competition on Tv here.

So now I ask - when will Women's Baseball become televised?
    Perhaps women's baseball will be televised when MLB really jumps on board and starts recognizing and supporting it, or when companies realize that they can make money off it. Hopefully it happens out of popularity and true support for it. We shall see!

Quote Originally Posted by DownUnderDodger
    Interesting info there Chisox. How strong is Softball in Chicago these days
    Softball in Chicago has always been huge,whether as a recreational activity or the zillion softball leagues that are in the Chicago and NW Indiana area.

In 1996,softball became a official high-school sport for boys. Girls softball has always been huge from the high-school level to college level.

In fact,Northwestern went to the NCAA Women's World Series title game this past spring,but fell short to traditional powerhiouse Arizona.

NotAboutEgo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Chisox73
    Softball in Chicago has always been huge,whether as a recreational activity or the zillion softball leagues that are in the Chicago and NW Indiana area.

In 1996,softball became a official high-school sport for boys. Girls softball has always been huge from the high-school level to college level.

In fact,Northwestern went to the NCAA Women's World Series title game this past spring,but fell short to traditional powerhiouse Arizona.
    Is it fast pitch or slow pitch? Is there girls' baseball in high schools in Chicago along with the girls' softball, boys' baseball and the boys' softball? If not, then they are discriminating.

Slow pitch was invented in Chicago, so it makes sense that it's so popular there. Every time I go there, I see so many of the modified slow pitch games happening within the city. That kind of softball is actually kind of cool (can't believe I'm saying that... don't hold it against me ), because it seems more nostalgic and closer to when it was invented.