Thread: What Are You Reading Right Now?

Quote Originally Posted by Brus View Post
    Re-reading for the umpteenth-gazillionth time:

The Boys of Summer, by Roger Kahn.
    That's a book you can never get tired of reading
    Man, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SDL View Post
    That's a book you can never get tired of reading
    Couldn't have said it better. Also, I LOVE your signature. Couldn't have said that better, either.
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Thanks..and your sig is from one of the few Yankees I could never boo.

The book was terrific, and that final line from the book sums up most of us here at BBF in a nutshell.
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Reading "Game of Shadows". Nearly to the end. Very interesting book.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EdTarbusz View Post
    I don't agree with this. Free agency has existed as long as MLB has been around (although more limited then it is today) and no owners made a serious effort to sgn a black player until 1945.
    Free agency as we know it did not exist until 1977. What "free agency" are you referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Gallanter View Post
    Free agency as we know it did not exist until 1977. What "free agency" are you referring to?
    There have been free agents as long as there has been Major League Baseball. Any player who wasn't signed to a contract or had received their unconditonal release was a free agent. Babe Ruth was a free agent after the 1934 season. Virtually every Negro League player that signed a baseball contract entered Organized Baseball as a free agent.

Free Agency hasn't always been as we know it today.

One of the most notable seasons regarding early free agency was 1918. Because the season was being shut down early (and baseball itself was being shut down for the duration of the war) every single Major League player was given his unconditional release as a cost cutting measure. Going into the 1919 season every player was a free agent but the owners had a gentlemens agreement that they wouldn't tamper with each others rosters.
    Last edited by EdTarbusz; 03-20-2012 at 06:52 AM.

Blog Entries
    This is my first time checking out this thread so I don't know if this book has been mentioned before, but I am currently re-reading:

512ButUJi5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It's a quick, easy read and very entertaining. I got it for $2.00 from the bargain bin at Barnes & Noble a couple of years ago.

Now reading Deadball by David B. Stinson

Blog Entries
    I finished reading "The Numbers Game" again and I still love it. I am currently on the last few chapters of "Nice Guys Finish Last" about Leo Durocher. It is an excellent book that I have had a long time and wish I would have started sooner. A lot of good stuff on baseball from the 20s into the 50s so far. I am continually reading a baseball book and this book kept getting pushed back by something else that I wanted to read. "The Bullpen Gospels" is one of my all time favorites so I will be getting his new book next.

I'm reading "The Complete Game, Reflections on Baseball, Pitching, and Life on the Mound" by Ron Darling. Picked it up for a buck at Dollar Tree. It was worth it.
    "Tactics were resorted to, unworthy of fair, manly players" - Brooklyn Eagle, June 12,1890

Quote Originally Posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    I'm reading "The Complete Game, Reflections on Baseball, Pitching, and Life on the Mound" by Ron Darling. Picked it up for a buck at Dollar Tree. It was worth it.
    That is a good book.

Last night I bought R.A. Dickey's book. It is supposedly excellent.

Anyone reading (read) Summer of '68: The Season that Changed Baseball, and America, Forever?

I was considering it, but then I enountered a couple of reviews that made be wonder...
    Born to an age where horror has become commonplace, where tragedy has, by its monotonous repetition, become a parody of sorrow, we need to fence off a few parks where humans try to be fair, where skill has some hope of reward, [and] where absurdity has a harder time than usual getting a ticket." -- Thomas Boswell, 1984

Quote Originally Posted by keystone View Post
    Anyone reading (read) Summer of '68: The Season that Changed Baseball, and America, Forever?

I was considering it, but then I enountered a couple of reviews that made be wonder...
    I actually was at a bookstore today, saw it and was thumbing thru it. It looks good.

Thanks for the input, SDL. That's good to know. The main criticism was about poor editing. If the facts are right & the writing is good, I'm going to check it out.
    Born to an age where horror has become commonplace, where tragedy has, by its monotonous repetition, become a parody of sorrow, we need to fence off a few parks where humans try to be fair, where skill has some hope of reward, [and] where absurdity has a harder time than usual getting a ticket." -- Thomas Boswell, 1984

Just finished Deadball by David Stinson and loved it.

Now reading Have Glove Will Travel by Bill Lee - so far it has lived up to what I had hoped it would be - it's good

Oh and I am looking for some good books on the Braves if anyone has any suggestions.

I'm about 90 pages into Fifty-nine in '84: Old Hoss Radbourn, Barehanded Baseball & the Greatest Season a Pitcher Ever Had by Edward Acorn. It's pretty good so far...
    Rockies fan living in Texas

The three I have up next are:

The Boys of Summer - Roger Kahn
    A History of the Boston Base Ball Club - George Tuohey
    The Book of Baseball Literacy - David H. Martinez

So this awesome thread continued without me! That's awesome, and I'll happily take a little credit for getting people interested in it...

Anyway, being in my rut has prevented me from reading baseball books for some time, so I turned to reviewing movies. Fortunately, I just finished Three Nights in August, by Buzz Bissinger. It was informative and interesting, though not engrossing.
    The Evil Empire shall strike back again!
    http://litbases.wordpress.com/

Calico Joe, by John Grisham. His first baseball book, and a goodie.

My girlfriend e-mailed me this morning and said, "you are going to go crazy over the new Grisham book." I had no idea what she was talking about, but stopped in to the local Barnes and Noble and there it was. Once I picked it up, I was hooked- couldn't put it down. In fact, I just got finished sending her a e-mail with just three words- "You were right."

Quote Originally Posted by chinese home run View Post
    Calico Joe, by John Grisham. His first baseball book, and a goodie.

My girlfriend e-mailed me this morning and said, "you are going to go crazy over the new Grisham book." I had no idea what she was talking about, but stopped in to the local Barnes and Noble and there it was. Once I picked it up, I was hooked- couldn't put it down. In fact, I just got finished sending her a e-mail with just three words- "You were right."
    Thanks. That caught my eye, and I was wondering.
    The Evil Empire shall strike back again!
    http://litbases.wordpress.com/

Just went to the library and picked up Ty Cobb by Charles Alexander. Can't wait to dig in ....

-Tom

The Last Icon: Tom Seaver and His Times by Steven Travers. Hoping to finish it up tonight.

Blog Entries
    Got "out of my league" today on my kindle...certainly no where near as entertaining as his first book, but good nonetheless...a lot of info on his disfunctional family and his bride to be

Since my 'puter is down (accessingthe 'Net via library), I took out "The Forever Boys" by Peter Golenbock. Hadn't read it in over 12 years and since I now live in the St. Pete area, I recognize a lot of the landmarks in photos and what is referenced in the text. It's like reading it again for the first time.

Page 34 of 46 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast