Page 43 of 63 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Reading Right Now?

Just finished Deadball by David Stinson and loved it.

Now reading Have Glove Will Travel by Bill Lee - so far it has lived up to what I had hoped it would be - it's good

Oh and I am looking for some good books on the Braves if anyone has any suggestions.

I'm about 90 pages into Fifty-nine in '84: Old Hoss Radbourn, Barehanded Baseball & the Greatest Season a Pitcher Ever Had by Edward Acorn. It's pretty good so far...
    Rockies fan living in Texas

The three I have up next are:

The Boys of Summer - Roger Kahn
    A History of the Boston Base Ball Club - George Tuohey
    The Book of Baseball Literacy - David H. Martinez

So this awesome thread continued without me! That's awesome, and I'll happily take a little credit for getting people interested in it...

Anyway, being in my rut has prevented me from reading baseball books for some time, so I turned to reviewing movies. Fortunately, I just finished Three Nights in August, by Buzz Bissinger. It was informative and interesting, though not engrossing.
    The Evil Empire shall strike back again!
    http://litbases.wordpress.com/

Calico Joe, by John Grisham. His first baseball book, and a goodie.

My girlfriend e-mailed me this morning and said, "you are going to go crazy over the new Grisham book." I had no idea what she was talking about, but stopped in to the local Barnes and Noble and there it was. Once I picked it up, I was hooked- couldn't put it down. In fact, I just got finished sending her a e-mail with just three words- "You were right."

Quote Originally Posted by chinese home run View Post
    Calico Joe, by John Grisham. His first baseball book, and a goodie.

My girlfriend e-mailed me this morning and said, "you are going to go crazy over the new Grisham book." I had no idea what she was talking about, but stopped in to the local Barnes and Noble and there it was. Once I picked it up, I was hooked- couldn't put it down. In fact, I just got finished sending her a e-mail with just three words- "You were right."
    Thanks. That caught my eye, and I was wondering.
    The Evil Empire shall strike back again!
    http://litbases.wordpress.com/

Just went to the library and picked up Ty Cobb by Charles Alexander. Can't wait to dig in ....

-Tom

The Last Icon: Tom Seaver and His Times by Steven Travers. Hoping to finish it up tonight.

Blog Entries
    Got "out of my league" today on my kindle...certainly no where near as entertaining as his first book, but good nonetheless...a lot of info on his disfunctional family and his bride to be

Since my 'puter is down (accessingthe 'Net via library), I took out "The Forever Boys" by Peter Golenbock. Hadn't read it in over 12 years and since I now live in the St. Pete area, I recognize a lot of the landmarks in photos and what is referenced in the text. It's like reading it again for the first time.
    Man, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

I recently finished Larry Doby: The Struggle of the American League's First Black Player by Joseph Thomas Moore.
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue387 View Post
    I recently finished Larry Doby: The Struggle of the American League's First Black Player by Joseph Thomas Moore.
    And...????
    What's the rumpus?

Just picked up Seasons in Hell by Mike Shropshire

Anyone read this about the 73-75 Rangers - I've heard its great.

Blog Entries
    just about done with Out of My League The follow up to Hayhurst's first book. Much more of his personal life involved in this book. Much more reserved and somewhat depressing than the first book. However, I laughed so hard last night I was crying when I read a specific part about "Jilly" on the plane (dont want to give it away for those having not read it yet). "Jilly" is supposedly Brian Giles by the way.

I read some of it at a bookstore. Great book. The teammate referred to as a Texas city sounds like a real winner.
    Man, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SDL View Post
    I read some of it at a bookstore. Great book. The teammate referred to as a Texas city sounds like a real winner.
    That is supposedly Jared Wells, who comes off like a completely self-absorbed meatheaded moron...guys like that get what they deserve

I'm in the middle of "Where Have You Gone, Vince DiMaggio" by Edward Kiersh (1983)
    I picked it up in paperback for a buck. The book interviews 55 different ex-players to see what they're doing now (well, in 1983 anyways).
    A weird mix of big names and some not-so-big names, for example: Ernie Banks, Roger Maris, Warren Spahn, Orlando Cepeda - Pumpsie Green, Irv Noren, Dick Radatz, Karl Spooner etc.
    Pretty good read actually. Very real...some sad stories mixed in.
    Here's an Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Where-Have-Gon.../dp/0553253425

I'm reading "Living on the Black" by John Feinstein. It chronicles the 2007 seasons of Mike Mussina and Tom Glavine. Though both their seasons that year were pretty blase, it makes an interesting read as it covers all the important stuff...notably Glavine's quest for 300 wins.

I was re-reading Moneyball tonight. In one chapter, Lewis discusses briefly Beane's plans for the Boston Red Sox when he became general manager. I found it interesting. He stayed in Oakland instead.

- Manny Ramirez to be a permanent DH (but who will play in left?)
    - Edgardo Alfonzo to play second base (batted .259/.334/.391/.726 and zero WAR for the Giants in 2003)
    - Bill Mueller to play third (signed by Theo Epstein in 2003, hit .326/.398/.540/.938 in 2003)
    - trade away Jason Varitek who batted .273/.351/.512/.863 in 2003 and replace him with Mark Johnson as catcher, who batted .111/.219/.148/.367 in 13 games for Oakland in 2003
    - trade away Kevin Youkilis to Oakland
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Reading Connie Mack and the Early History of Baseball. Absolutely fantastic. Not just a bio of Cornelius Alexander but a great history of the Athletics and the American League. Well-written and entertaining. After about 50 pages, I had to order the second volume, Connie mack: The Turbulent & Triumphant Years, 1915-1931. Highly recommended, but I wish it was footnoted, as I'd really like to check some of his sources.
    I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.

Page 43 of 63 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast