Page 35 of 47 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Reading Right Now?

I recently finished Larry Doby: The Struggle of the American League's First Black Player by Joseph Thomas Moore.
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue387 View Post
    I recently finished Larry Doby: The Struggle of the American League's First Black Player by Joseph Thomas Moore.
    And...????
    "Tactics were resorted to, unworthy of fair, manly players" - Brooklyn Eagle, June 12,1890

Just picked up Seasons in Hell by Mike Shropshire

Anyone read this about the 73-75 Rangers - I've heard its great.

Blog Entries
    just about done with Out of My League The follow up to Hayhurst's first book. Much more of his personal life involved in this book. Much more reserved and somewhat depressing than the first book. However, I laughed so hard last night I was crying when I read a specific part about "Jilly" on the plane (dont want to give it away for those having not read it yet). "Jilly" is supposedly Brian Giles by the way.

I read some of it at a bookstore. Great book. The teammate referred to as a Texas city sounds like a real winner.
    Man, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SDL View Post
    I read some of it at a bookstore. Great book. The teammate referred to as a Texas city sounds like a real winner.
    That is supposedly Jared Wells, who comes off like a completely self-absorbed meatheaded moron...guys like that get what they deserve

I'm in the middle of "Where Have You Gone, Vince DiMaggio" by Edward Kiersh (1983)
    I picked it up in paperback for a buck. The book interviews 55 different ex-players to see what they're doing now (well, in 1983 anyways).
    A weird mix of big names and some not-so-big names, for example: Ernie Banks, Roger Maris, Warren Spahn, Orlando Cepeda - Pumpsie Green, Irv Noren, Dick Radatz, Karl Spooner etc.
    Pretty good read actually. Very real...some sad stories mixed in.
    Here's an Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Where-Have-Gon.../dp/0553253425

I'm reading "Living on the Black" by John Feinstein. It chronicles the 2007 seasons of Mike Mussina and Tom Glavine. Though both their seasons that year were pretty blase, it makes an interesting read as it covers all the important stuff...notably Glavine's quest for 300 wins.
    Check out my stuff for sale on eBay! Currently selling New York Yankees, St. Louis Cardinals, Baltimore Orioles, Boston Red Sox, San Francisco Giants, Tampa Bay Rays and Washington Nationals card lots! Autos of Gio Gonzalez, John "Blue Moon" Odom, Tyson Ross, Drew Storen, Alex Burnett and John Ely! Jersey card of David Ortiz! Plus a guide on how to get autographs ... for free!

My website...
    My other website...
    My other, other website...

I was re-reading Moneyball tonight. In one chapter, Lewis discusses briefly Beane's plans for the Boston Red Sox when he became general manager. I found it interesting. He stayed in Oakland instead.

- Manny Ramirez to be a permanent DH (but who will play in left?)
    - Edgardo Alfonzo to play second base (batted .259/.334/.391/.726 and zero WAR for the Giants in 2003)
    - Bill Mueller to play third (signed by Theo Epstein in 2003, hit .326/.398/.540/.938 in 2003)
    - trade away Jason Varitek who batted .273/.351/.512/.863 in 2003 and replace him with Mark Johnson as catcher, who batted .111/.219/.148/.367 in 13 games for Oakland in 2003
    - trade away Kevin Youkilis to Oakland
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Reading Connie Mack and the Early History of Baseball. Absolutely fantastic. Not just a bio of Cornelius Alexander but a great history of the Athletics and the American League. Well-written and entertaining. After about 50 pages, I had to order the second volume, Connie mack: The Turbulent & Triumphant Years, 1915-1931. Highly recommended, but I wish it was footnoted, as I'd really like to check some of his sources.
    I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.

I'm onto The 3,000 Hit Club by Fred McMane and Stuart Shea. It offers profiles of each member of the 3,000 hit club, as you might have guessed. This is an updated and revised version for 2012, and as often happens with "updated and revised" versions of books...it's not well updated.

Originally published in 2000, it is "updated" in that includes all the recent additions to the club (Derek Jeter and so forth). But it is not in that it doesn't have revised entries for other players. For example, Tony Gwynn's vignette is written like he is still playing, it still lists Ty Cobb as the all-time runs scored leader, it says of some players things like "he will be a Hall of Famer when he becomes eligible," even though they have since been elected. It's an interesting tome, but it would be nice if the authors had actually read and altered the other entries before having it republished.
    Check out my stuff for sale on eBay! Currently selling New York Yankees, St. Louis Cardinals, Baltimore Orioles, Boston Red Sox, San Francisco Giants, Tampa Bay Rays and Washington Nationals card lots! Autos of Gio Gonzalez, John "Blue Moon" Odom, Tyson Ross, Drew Storen, Alex Burnett and John Ely! Jersey card of David Ortiz! Plus a guide on how to get autographs ... for free!

My website...
    My other website...

Currently, I'm reading Catfish, Yaz and Hammerin Hank, a review of 1970s baseball. By extensive use of interviews, the author summarizes the decade of the 1970s. This covers when I grew up with the game, and it is a wonderful trip down memory lane. It came with a DVD which runs about 42 minutes. On deck, more 1970s era material. I must have been in a retro mood when I shopped for this months ago.
    Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill.

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

Quote Originally Posted by abolishthedh View Post
    Currently, I'm reading Catfish, Yaz and Hammerin Hank, a review of 1970s baseball. By extensive use of interviews, the author summarizes the decade of the 1970s. This covers when I grew up with the game, and it is a wonderful trip down memory lane. It came with a DVD which runs about 42 minutes. On deck, more 1970s era material. I must have been in a retro mood when I shopped for this months ago.
    Let us know what you think of this book. I've been in a retro-ish mood myself lately ...

thanks

I just finished reading Roger Kahn's "The Era". As usual with Kahn's stuff, it's an interesting and addictive read. Unfortunately, also as with all of Kahn's stuff, he simply can't leave his political views out of the book. His absolute adoration of Jackie Robinson gets a bit old as well.
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Bill Veeck- Baseball's Greatest Maverick, by Paul Dickson. I've only gotten through the first half, but I like what I've seen so far. Baseball will never have another owner like him- ever. I remember meeting Ned Garver at a golf outing in Cincinnati years ago- he played for Veeck when Bill owned the Browns- and he said that Bill would come up with more good ideas in one month than all the other owners combined would in their lifetimes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chinese home run View Post
    Bill Veeck- Baseball's Greatest Maverick, by Paul Dickson. I've only gotten through the first half, but I like what I've seen so far. Baseball will never have another owner like him- ever. I remember meeting Ned Garver at a golf outing in Cincinnati years ago- he played for Veeck when Bill owned the Browns- and he said that Bill would come up with more good ideas in one month than all the other owners combined would in their lifetimes.
    "mmm hmm," good and terrible"

Quote Originally Posted by tag0519 View Post
    Let us know what you think of this book. I've been in a retro-ish mood myself lately ...

thanks
    The author chooses the primary news topics of each season in the 1970s and interviews the main players and baseball officials who were still alive in the mid-to-late 1990s for interviews. In no way is this a statistical book, and the author has no angle on any topic of discussion. He lets the interviewees divulge what they care to share.

Some of the nuggets which have come to light include:
    1. A few of the players on Clemente's team noticed a large fire in the bay and assumed a boat was on fire at 2:00 AM on the night when Clemente's plane went down. They share their last memories of him in his final days.
    2. The developments leading up to Buddy Harrelson and Pete Rose's fight in the postseason of 1973.
    3. The developments leading up to Charlie Finley trying to release Mike Andrews in the postseason for poor defensive play.
    4. Reggie Jackson choking up on the bat with 2 strikes on him before hitting his monster 1971 Allstar Game homer.
    5. The details leading up to the Curt Flood case, and its aftermath for Curt Flood.
    6. Mike Marshall is given a lot of space for his side to his views on how to condition pitchers.
    7. Hank Aaron's homer numbers 714 and 715.
    8. Brooks Robinson's flashy defensive play in the postseason of 1970.

These stories are told with minimal essay work from the author. The players and managers tell the tales, and that is a strength for this one. It is quite sad to realize how many of these players are already no longer with us, so the book becomes the last record for a lot of these stars' memories of their glory.
    Last edited by abolishthedh; 06-04-2012 at 06:34 PM. Reason: embellishing
    Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill.

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

I'm currently reading Few and Chosen: Defining Mets Greatness Across the Eras. Rusty Staub takes on the task of of ranking the best players at each position in Mets history. These are some pretty good rankings, though I think there is some nepotism involved in his selections. Also, the writing isn't super stellar...you can tell that the guy behind it isn't an author by trade, that's for sure. Still, it's an interesting read, because it comes from a ballplayer's point of view.

My website...
    My other website...

I'm reading The Unforgettable Season by G.H. Fleming. I like the format of a series of articles rather than the standard chapter format. I'm about 30 pages in and the book seems to be more about the 1908 Giants than the Pirates and Cubs. I don't have a problem with that just that I was under the impression all three teams would receive equal time. Like it so far.

Blog Entries
    I'm reading The Unforgettable Season by G.H. Fleming. I like the format of a series of articles rather than the standard chapter format. I'm about 30 pages in and the book seems to be more about the 1908 Giants than the Pirates and Cubs. I don't have a problem with that just that I was under the impression all three teams would receive equal time. Like it so far.
    Looked at getting this book myself, but not offered on Kindle...did you read "Crazy '08?" I read that one and it was pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap78 View Post
    Looked at getting this book myself, but not offered on Kindle...did you read "Crazy '08?" I read that one and it was pretty good.
    Cap, I was undecided between those two books and chose "Unforgettable" instead. I'll read Crazy '08 soon for sure (after I read Blood Feud - non baseball).

Quote Originally Posted by TheJourneyman View Post
    Just picked up Seasons in Hell by Mike Shropshire

Anyone read this about the 73-75 Rangers - I've heard its great.
    I haven't read that one but I do have the book about the Rangers called "The Impossible Takes A Little Longer" by Phil Rogers which is about the rebirth of the Texas Rangers who was led by then General Manager Tom Grieve and manager Bobby Valentine and how they brought this team to prominence in the 90's, a very entertaining read , with all the stars such as Ruben Sierra, Pete Incaviglia, Mitch Williams, and the great Nolan Ryan, just to mention a few.

Cap, I was undecided between those two books and chose "Unforgettable" instead. I'll read Crazy '08 soon for sure (after I read Blood Feud - non baseball).
    I've got the book "Crazy '08" and I assure you, you will enjoy it, especially if you're a Cubs or Giants fan (Which I am especially the McGraw era). And I'm almost through reading "Fenway 1912" by Glen Stout.
    Last edited by MLB4LYF; 07-03-2012 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MLB4LYF View Post
    I've got the book "Crazy '08" and I assure you, you will enjoy it, especially if you're a Cubs or Giants fan (Which I am especially the McGraw era). And I'm almost through reading "Fenway 1912" by Glen Stout.
    How is Fenway 1912? I have that on my reading list as well.

How is Fenway 1912? I have that on my reading list as well.
    It is a great story! especially if you're a Red Sox fan. It gives the complete background on how Fenway was constructed, the men who built it, and of course the great players on the team as well.

Page 35 of 47 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast