Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37454647
Results 1,151 to 1,161 of 1161

Thread: What Are You Reading Right Now?

Quote Originally Posted by Herr28 View Post
    Just bought The Pittsburgh Cocaine Seven: How a Ragtag Group of Fans Took the Fall for Major League Baseball by Aaron Skirboll. The 1985 Pittsburgh cocaine trials have come up recently in a thread and I realized how little I have read on this topic. I have some interesting blurbs about it in a couple of the late-season 1985 The Sporting News editions I have, but the paper really doesn't cover the details (at least not the editions I have currently). I vaguely remember this from almost 30 years ago (my how time flies), but I was only 10 when the trial hit and I only remember anti-drug messages about "just say no" and eggs in frying pans.
    If anyone has read this book, I'd appreciate a quick review.
    This is a very good book and after I read it, I found I could never have the kind of outrage over the steroids era that baseball writers expect us to because IMO you can make a case that what the players involved with this scandal did was much, much worse. I really have to wonder if ultimately, this is the reason why Dave Parker and Keith Hernandez are never going to make the HOF.

I'm reading The Biographical Encyclopedia of the Negro Baseball Leagues by James Riley via ILL. He sought out living members of the Negro Leagues as well as historians and gathered as much info about the thousands of players who played from 1880 to 1950. A lot of new information has been obtained about many of the earlier players since this encyclopedia was first published in 1994. I'm trying to get a copy of the second edition that came out last year.

Some may find it incredible that we don't even know the first name of a black minor league player from the 19th Century. It might take years to track them down and you need lucky breaks to discover new information. Simple things like where they were born and where they lived after their playing days were over turn out to be well hidden secrets. None of these guys made a lot of money but still they fought on hoping to keep the candle lit for later generations of black ballplayers.
    "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
    "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Quote Originally Posted by epaddon View Post
    This is a very good book and after I read it, I found I could never have the kind of outrage over the steroids era that baseball writers expect us to because IMO you can make a case that what the players involved with this scandal did was much, much worse. I really have to wonder if ultimately, this is the reason why Dave Parker and Keith Hernandez are never going to make the HOF.
    Good point. I was sickened when I read about Hernandez's actions when he started to get questioned about his cocaine use. He was a big star and one of my favorite players back then, even when he was captain of the hated Mets. The part that was the hardest for me to read was in the beginning, when the author described the amount of uppers being used from the '40s into the '70s leading up to the cocaine scandal. There were some players mentioned in that part that I had no idea where using. It was eye opening, for sure.

I read the book because I wanted to find out more about this terrible period of the game's history, which perfectly corresponds to my own personal "Golden Age" of baseball. I knew about a lot of the players mentioned, but there were quite a few more "outed" to me in the book, on top of the unfortunate names I read that were tossing down greenies and other uppers in the decades before the scandal got started.
    "It ain't braggin' if you can do it!" Dizzy Dean

"I sure was having a picnic with Frisch. You oughta seen the fellows in the clubhouse when I was puttin' him on. They was duckin' behind posts, tryin' to keep Frank from seein' how they was laughin', an' I had a time keepin' a straight face myself. I hope Frank manages the Cardinals forever. I sure love to drive that Dutchman nuts!" Dizzy Dean

I agree it is eye-opening and I think it should make us think twice about this era that too often has a rose-colored haze around it thanks to writers who have been perpetuating the line that all was wonderful and pure about baseball statistics before there was steroids. The thing about Hernandez that really makes me sick is how he forced Ken Moffett (then head of the Union) to make a public apology to *him* for implying that he had been traded from the Cards because of drug use and lo and behold it turned out that Moffett was right! Yet Hernandez never made any apology to Moffett for the public humiliation he subjected him to.

I agree it is eye-opening and I think it should make us think twice about this era that too often has a rose-colored haze around it thanks to writers who have been perpetuating the line that all was wonderful and pure about baseball statistics before there was steroids. The thing about Hernandez that really makes me sick is how he forced Ken Moffett (then head of the Union) to make a public apology to *him* for implying that he had been traded from the Cards because of drug use and lo and behold it turned out that Moffett was right! Yet Hernandez never made any apology to Moffett for the public humiliation he subjected him to.
    Not unlike Ryan Braun in later years.
    "Tactics were resorted to, unworthy of fair, manly players" - Brooklyn Eagle, June 12,1890

Right! And, let us not forget the part about Moffett losing his position due to the Hernandez kerfuffle. Sickening, really. I was pretty upset with the whole bunch of them, just like this current stink that is festering around the game. It must have been interesting for the author, a diehard hometown Pirates fan who had to dig into the cesspool that was his favorite team, the guys he cheered for, his childhood heroes.

I know I was upset when I first learned about a lot of the users on the Cardinals back in those years. It is frustrating to think of all that they threw away for us, the fans, who counted on them to keep playing at the best that they could. I remember injuries being the reason for us falling apart in 1983, fresh off a World Series victory the previous October, and one of the best seasons of any NL team in 1981. Then to read that Lonnie Smith was so doped up he couldn't even stand and had to go to rehab, and Hernandez using as well as our ace Andujar -- my goodness, what were we watching on that field?
    "It ain't braggin' if you can do it!" Dizzy Dean

"I sure was having a picnic with Frisch. You oughta seen the fellows in the clubhouse when I was puttin' him on. They was duckin' behind posts, tryin' to keep Frank from seein' how they was laughin', an' I had a time keepin' a straight face myself. I hope Frank manages the Cardinals forever. I sure love to drive that Dutchman nuts!" Dizzy Dean

This proved to be an entertaining read:

"The Forgotten Marlins: A Tribute To The1956-1960 Original Miami Marlins."

http://www.amazon.com/Forgotten-Marl...=Miami+Marlins

Mickey Mantle: The last boy

Just started "Rickey & Robinson" by Roger Kahn (author of "The Boys of Summer"). Going back and forth between this and Aerosmith guitarist Joe Perry's autobiography "Rocks."

Last week I read "Becoming Mr. October." After a brief overview of his college, Oakland, and Baltimore days, the book focuses on Reggie Jackson with the 1977-78 Yankees. It was an interesting read, but I was distracted by the overly casual writing. There were a few instances of "LOL" and "LMAO" in the text, which I found puzzling. It seems like an editor would have nixed those.

Just began Long Before The Dodgers , Baseball in Brooklyn 1855-1884. Anyone in the NYC area going to the SABR meeting next month?

Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37454647