• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AstrosFan
    Supreme Dictator For Life
    • Apr 2006

What Are You Reading Right Now?

Baseball books only, if you're not reading one, don't post.

For me: Pitching in a Pinch by Christy Mathewson with John Wheeler.
    "Any pitcher who throws at a batter and deliberately tries to hit him is a communist."

- Alvin Dark
  • 5LilPlayers
    • Jun 2006

Right now....oh boy....

I'm in the middle of three Matt Christopher books ("All-Star Fever", "Baseball Turnaround", and "Mystery Coach")....I preview all of his before I let the kids read them, but they are all pretty good books, usually with a hidden message in them about honesty, loyalty, etc.

Plus I'm also reading:

"The Unofficial Guide to Baseball's Most Unusual Records" by Bob Mackin
    "The Boston Red Sox Fan Book" by David S. Neft, Michael L. Neft, Bob Carroll, and Richard M. Cohen (more like re-reading)
    "Rocket Man: The Roger Clemens Story" by Roger and Peter Gammons
    "A Whole New Ball Game" by Sue Macy
    and
    "When Women Played Hardball" by Susan E. Johnson

Plus I'm going through both "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Baseball" and "Baseball for Dummies" for a friend who's completely baseball illiterate, but may be going with me and my family to a Minor League game in 10 more days. Took her a couple years ago, and told her if she ever wanted to go again, she was going to memorize some basic facts so I could actually watch the game instead of answering all of her questions. LOL
    "There is no logical reason why girls shouldn't play baseball. It's not that tough. Not as tough as radio and TV announcers make it out to be ... Some can play better than a lot of guys who've been on that field." ~ Hank Aaron

"Hitting is timing. Pitching is upsetting timing." ~ Warren Spahn

Comment

• Mike D.
      • Feb 2006

I'm midway through "Veeck - as in Wreck", Bill Veeck's autobiography. Up next after that is a short one - "The Knucklebook" by Dave Clark.
      Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

• bluezebra
        • Jan 2000

Originally posted by 5LilPlayers
        Right now....oh boy....

I'm in the middle of three Matt Christopher books ("All-Star Fever", "Baseball Turnaround", and "Mystery Coach")....I preview all of his before I let the kids read them, but they are all pretty good books, usually with a hidden message in them about honesty, loyalty, etc.

Plus I'm also reading:

"The Unofficial Guide to Baseball's Most Unusual Records" by Bob Mackin
        "The Boston Red Sox Fan Book" by David S. Neft, Michael L. Neft, Bob Carroll, and Richard M. Cohen (more like re-reading)
        "Rocket Man: The Roger Clemens Story" by Roger and Peter Gammons
        "A Whole New Ball Game" by Sue Macy
        and
        "When Women Played Hardball" by Susan E. Johnson

Plus I'm going through both "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Baseball" and "Baseball for Dummies" for a friend who's completely baseball illiterate, but may be going with me and my family to a Minor League game in 10 more days. Took her a couple years ago, and told her if she ever wanted to go again, she was going to memorize some basic facts so I could actually watch the game instead of answering all of her questions. LOL
        "...usually with a hidden message in them about honesty, loyalty, etc."

I'll bet that few, if any, of today's players are cited.

Bob

Comment

• Chisox73
          Thunderstruck!
          • Jan 2000

Right now,I'm reading Sox and the City by Richard Roeper(of Ebert & Roeper).

It is a very good,witty,and at times,laugh out loud story of the author's 40 years as a die-hard White Sox fan.

I'm only half-way through it right now.But in a couple of instances,Roeper gives a nice plug to Sean's sister site Baseball Almanac.

He referenced the site when looking up stats and game highlights from the 1966 White Sox.

So far,it's a very fun book to read.

Comment

• W_Marone
            Team Veteran
            • Apr 2006

Clemente: The Passion and Grace of Baseball's last Hero.

Havent read much..just got it, but I read a sports Illustrated article about him and loved it so I picked up this but the other day.

Comment

• RedSoxVT92
              Smokey Joe
              • Mar 2006

I just started Green Mountain Boys of Summer: Vermonters in the Major Leagues 1882-1993 today. I think ill whiz through this book.
              go sox.

Pigskin-Fever

Comment

• 5LilPlayers
                • Jun 2006

Originally posted by bluezebra
                "...usually with a hidden message in them about honesty, loyalty, etc."

I'll bet that few, if any, of today's players are cited.

Bob
                No. LOL Most of Matt's stuff is more..."novels for kids". Short little stories dealing with kids. There is a "Peach Street Mudders" series he does with kids around 8 - 10, then he's got another "series" (no official title to the series) usually dealing with "tweens" to 14 yr. old kids.

One is about a boy who moved to a new city, not too far from his old one, and he had gotten in some trouble in his old city, along with a boy he finds out used to play on the same team he's on in his new city...and it's all about the boy and his teammates not really acting like a team, no one talks to him, etc...and it comes down to "Do I tell my teammates what happened in the past or not?"...the title of that one is "Baseball Turnaround"...finally finished it...and have now moved on to "Challenge at Second Base"

They are really great for kids, but it makes me mad because (so far) they've always either ended happily...which I guess is a good thing...or the end with the reader having a LOT of questions about "so, what happened???"

Though they do occassionally mention a "baseball great" who was popular at the time the books were released, but they don't usually dwell on them, since it's about the kid(s) in each specific book. Generally it's just an "I wish I could play like...." or something, but most are "I wish I could play like dad" or "my brother" instead of any "big name" player.

My kids are loving the books so far....fighting over who gets to read each book first, after I've gone through it. LOL The Peach Street series are much shorter...larger print, less words per page, several pictures and the other "series" is a little longer, few pictures, and "normal" print.

I, personally, just can't wait to get through "A Whole New Ball Game" and "When Women Played Hardball". I've been reading like crazy lately. Too hot to do anything else so we sit in the AC and read...well, the older two kids and I read, the younger three listen to us reading or are happy to color...until it's "pool time". LOL
                "There is no logical reason why girls shouldn't play baseball. It's not that tough. Not as tough as radio and TV announcers make it out to be ... Some can play better than a lot of guys who've been on that field." ~ Hank Aaron

Comment

• Biggtone23
                  • Jan 2000

i just picked up "All The Stars Came Out That Night" by Kevin King. Its about a fictional 1934 All-White vs All-Black All-Star game. Its sounds pretty good. The White team features Dizzy Dean, Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Shoeless Joe Jackson and a young Joe D. The Black team has Satchel Paige, Josh Gibson, Turkey Stearns, Cool Papa Bell and Buck Leonard.
                  Lets Go Yankees, Valley Cats, Dutchmen, UT Spartans and ECU Pirates.

Comment

• JohnGelnarFan
                    3-10 3.31 E.R.A.
                    • Apr 2006

A Chip Hilton Sports Story by Clair Bee called "Strike Three! (1949),recommended by 5LilPlayers.

Comment

• CanadianKid
                      Starting Pitcher
                      • Jun 2006

Nolan Ryans Pitchers Bible

Comment

• csh19792001
                        Team Veteran
                        • Oct 2003

Recently finished Wicked Curve, which is the new biography of Pete Alexander. Although at times insightful, it was somewhat insipid in that it lacked the quotes, and trenchant insights into Alex as a human being...which were abound in the Cy Young bio by Reed Browning that I'd just finished prior to starting Wicked Curve. The Browning bio was undoubtedly one of the top few baseball biographies that I've read.

Have a few other non baseball books going, but I'm in the process of starting:

Spalding's World Tour: The Epic Adventure that Took Baseball Around the Globe - And Made It America's Game

Just released a few months ago. What I've read so far has been enthralling and erudite.

Comment

• Trivia Guy
                          • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Go Gomes
                          Clemente: The Passion and Grace of Baseball's last Hero.

Havent read much..just got it, but I read a sports Illustrated article about him and loved it so I picked up this but the other day.
                          I just bought that today. But right now I am in the middle of Tris Speaker : The Rough-and-Tumble Life of a Baseball Legend by Timothy Gay.

Excellent book!
                          Author of Big League Trivia - Facts, Figures, Oddities and Coincidences from our National Pastime.
                          www.big-league-trivia.blogspot.com

Comment

• 5LilPlayers
                            • Jun 2006

Originally posted by JohnGelnarFan
                            A Chip Hilton Sports Story by Clair Bee called "Strike Three! (1949),recommended by 5LilPlayers.
                            Thanks...that reminds me that my (90's - updated version) is missing again. Guess I'll have to go through the kids' rooms again.

I don't mind if they want to read, but they keep forgetting to tell me when they take stuff off my baseball shelf! LOL

Comment

• bluejaysfan4ever
                              Canadian baseball junkie
                              • Jul 2006

The Big Bam.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X