Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 38464748
Results 1,176 to 1,198 of 1198

Thread: What Are You Reading Right Now?

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Bunter View Post
    It discusses a possibility not often mentioned: the Giants going to SF and the Dodgers staying.
    I wonder how that would have worked, having only one major league team in California, and none in between San Francisco and St. Louis.
    Check out my new autograph blog

Signed 1953 Topps Project: 102/274 (37.23%) complete

Quote Originally Posted by egri View Post
    I wonder how that would have worked, having only one major league team in California, and none in between San Francisco and St. Louis.
    That was the plan in the American League, one that they were about to vote on (the St. Louis Browns moving to LA), but then the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor something like the day before the vote and it never happened.
    "They've got a good ballclub; that guy Ruth is always tough, but he isn't going to get many good balls to hit. The only pitchers they have who will bother us are Pennock and Hoyt. But we can take them -- just as we took the best in the National League. And no matter what the score is, we're going to keep fighting and hustling." --- Cardinals MGR Rogers Hornsby before the 1926 World Series.

I'm reading a book about anti-gravity. I can't put it down!
    "Look at it, man", he said as if he had read my thoughts. "they call it America, and they call it civilization, and they call it television, and they believe in it and salute it and sing songs to it and eat and sleep and die still believing in it, and---and---I don't know", he said, taking another drag, "then some time the Mets come along and win the World Series___" Gram Parsons, quoted by Stanley Booth in Dance With The Devil

George Sisler's biography The Sizzler. It's ok so far. The best biographies I've read since the beginning of 2014 are:

Walter Johnson Baseball's Big Train by Henry W. Thomas
    Nap Lajoie King of Ballplayers by David L. Fleitz
    Eddie Collins by Rick Huhn
    Smoky Joe Wood by Gerald Wood
    George Sisler: The Sizzler by Rick Huhn
    Casey Stengel: You Could Look It Up by Maury Allen
    Last edited by bluesky5; 01-14-2015 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesky5 View Post
    George Sisler's biography The Sizzler. It's ok so far. The best biographies I've read since the beginning of 2014 are:

Walter Johnson Baseball's Big Train by Henry W. Thomas
    Nap Lajoie King of Ballplayers by David L. Fleitz
    Eddie Collins by Rick Huhn
    Smoky Joe Wood by Gerald Wood
    George Sisler: The Sizzler by Rick Huhn
    Casey Stengel: You Could Look It Up by Maury Allen
    Is Gerald Wood related to Smoky Joe?
    "Look at it, man", he said as if he had read my thoughts. "they call it America, and they call it civilization, and they call it television, and they believe in it and salute it and sing songs to it and eat and sleep and die still believing in it, and---and---I don't know", he said, taking another drag, "then some time the Mets come along and win the World Series___" Gram Parsons, quoted by Stanley Booth in Dance With The Devil

Quote Originally Posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    Is Gerald Wood related to Smoky Joe?
    He says he is not.

I'm reading Andy McCue of SABR's Mover and Shaker, a biography of Walter O'Malley. It's impressive.

I shall now read George Will's Men at Work.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtipper View Post
    I got distracted reading other books so I'm only nine or so pages into this one. One of those other books is The Innocent Man by John Grisham, which is about the minor leaguer Ron Williamson who was falsely accused of murder.

Quote Originally Posted by egri View Post
    Actually if the Dodgers had stayed, the Giants would have gone to Minneapolis, not San Francisco.

2 on the go.

Shipwrecked - A people's history of the Mariners & Cobb by Al Stump

I just received a book published in 1988 called Baseball's Hot New Stars by Bill Gutman. It's interesting to read about the perceived 'stars' of various eras.

This is a good book and I would recommend it.

Blog Entries
    Posada's autobiography.

Solid read nothing outstading. 7/10
    MySpace Codes

This is a good book and I would recommend it.
    What impressed this fan about Will's Men At Work was his insight into Mike Mussina. He included Mussina even though Mussina was still a very young pitcher, amongst the veterans he interviewed and discussed. In hindsight, that was prescient.

This past week, I started Leigh Montville's Big Bam: The Life and Times of Babe Ruth. There are no surprises, and yet I am amazed that such a personality was idolized by the masses. He was an uncouth gentleman off the field. Now that I am grown up, I am not sure I would want to meet Babe Ruth, but good grief it would be a pleasure to watch him hit and pitch.
    Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill.

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

The House that Ruth Built

This too is a good book and I would recommend it.

Blog Entries
    The House that Ruth Built

This too is a good book and I would recommend it.
    I know it probably focuses primarily on 1923 but how far back does it go with detail?
    "I played the first game of a legion tournament wasted my senior year. Got hit in the balls by a grounder in the first inning and went 2-4 and puked in the cornfield behind the football stadium. That was the first and last time I ever did that." - bluesky5

Quote Originally Posted by Sultan_1895-1948 View Post
    I know it probably focuses primarily on 1923 but how far back does it go with detail?
    I don't recall, entirely. I read it a few months ago. It covers a lot of stuff though and is worth a read.

Reading In Pursuit of Pennants: Baseball Operations from Deadball to Moneyball, by Mark L. Armour and R. Leavitt. It describes how the great team were built from Barney Dreyfuss and the turn of the century Pirates to the 2014 Giants. Fascinating and VERY readable.
    I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.

I'm currently reading Bruce Weber's Inside Baseball 1988. It's an interesting look back to baseball from the 1980s. It's incredible who they tagged as future stars back then. Matt Nokes, notably. Herr and other 1980s enthusiasts would like this series of books I think.

Just started Tim McCarver's Diamond Gems, which is based on the interviews he has done for his weekly TV show. The book has been a delight so far, but there is one observation on its organization where I have to vent. He has the book organized into chapters devoted to each position on the field, various pitchers' roles, and the manager, and then one chapter devoted to Jackie Robinson. That is all well and good, except the chapter he devotes to Jackie is used as the chapter devoted 2B-men, and in that he has other players from Jackie's time discussing Jackie. In other words, he has no chapter devoted to second base and the players who played it, as he has for other positions. That is odd, but maybe it is more of an oversight.

It is always interesting to read about players who are long-forgotten in memory as they played a role in baseball history in clear view of fans, but unrecognized and underappreciated. Tony Perez discussed getting out of Cuba at the last moment; Mike Schmidt discussed Cesar Tovar, and his minor league experiences in 1971; Tony Gwynn discusses how he visited a minor league game when he was in a hitting slump and helped himself as he coached minor league hitters; Hank Aaron discusses how at first he only wanted to play 5 years in order to earn his pension. Amazing stuff which was mundane at the time and gold today.
    Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill.

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

I just read Bruce Weber's All-Pro Baseball Stars '83. It was a brief look back at the stars and teams of 1982-1983.

I'm reading Leerhsen's Cobb book ... is it possible for a book to be both extraordinarily valuable as far as correcting myths in the historical record, and atrociously written?

Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 38464748