Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36444546
Results 1,126 to 1,135 of 1135

Thread: What Are You Reading Right Now?

"Up Up and Away" by Jonah Keri, about the Montreal Expos. Haven't made it very far yet, but I like Keri's voice.

Update: Finished the book last night, really enjoyable once he gets to the 1980s and 1990s. Keri attended several games and wrote this book as a fan, not as a baseball analyst. It made the anecdotes more personal and fun to read.
    Last edited by hairmetalfreek; 06-10-2014 at 06:43 PM.

Finished a couple books this week:

"Pitching to the Pennant: 1954 Cleveland Indians"...biographies of all the players on the team and some articles about the All-Star Game, World Series, etc. SABR project.

"Baseball Prodigies" by Charles L. Faber. Top ten hitting seasons and top ten pitching seasons of players under the age of 21 who played at least 5 years as a regular. Also paragraphs on 172 other players who debuted < 21 and played at least 5 seasons. Pretty good read, a few names I wasn't familiar with so it was educational for me.

Currently working on "Wrigley Field: The Long Life & Contentious Times of the Friendly Confines" by Stuart Shea. Good history of the park up to the current times. I especially liked the section about the process of getting lights. I had not been aware that it was actually against the law for Wrigley to have lights, and that law was reversed in 1988 when MLB told the city they could have the All-Star Game only if lights were installed!

This week I started the Walter O'Malley bio named "Forever Blue", by Michael D'Antonio. This is a fabulous work of research, providing a great deal of insight into the behind the scenes stories of the power brokers in New York in O'Malley's time. All of these details are matters over which I can be objective, because I never had reason to root for any NY baseball team. Its good to read this from an historical perspective. D'Antonio treats O'Malley with a great deal of respect, for he was a natural born leader who learned to love baseball in adulthood, as I have read it thus far.
    Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill.

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

Quote Originally Posted by hairmetalfreek View Post
    Finished a couple books this week:

"Pitching to the Pennant: 1954 Cleveland Indians"...biographies of all the players on the team and some articles about the All-Star Game, World Series, etc. SABR project.

"Baseball Prodigies" by Charles L. Faber. Top ten hitting seasons and top ten pitching seasons of players under the age of 21 who played at least 5 years as a regular. Also paragraphs on 172 other players who debuted < 21 and played at least 5 seasons. Pretty good read, a few names I wasn't familiar with so it was educational for me.

Currently working on "Wrigley Field: The Long Life & Contentious Times of the Friendly Confines" by Stuart Shea. Good history of the park up to the current times. I especially liked the section about the process of getting lights. I had not been aware that it was actually against the law for Wrigley to have lights, and that law was reversed in 1988 when MLB told the city they could have the All-Star Game only if lights were installed!
    I have been buying old Sporting News editions, and one I have from either 1985 or 1986 had a piece on the Wrigley light battle in Chicago. I had forgotten all about that until I read that piece. I was a young kid then, junior high age, so I didn't pay a lot of attention to the battle. Interesting stuff, for sure.
    "It ain't braggin' if you can do it!" Dizzy Dean

"He was a natural athlete. He was also one of the strongest men I'd ever met. He could tear telephone books in half all day long. He never used a knife to cut an apple; he simply split it in two with his fingers. And he was fast. Dave could outrun anyone on our team. . . . The Lord had given freely to Dave." Willie Stargell on Dave Parker

The Mickey Mantle Novel by peter golenbock.

Dawn of a Dynasty: The Incredible and Improbable Story of the 1947 New York Yankees by Frank Strauss. Just started this and so far an exceptional read.
    Axes grind and maces clash!

"I have been buying old Sporting News editions"

You can read them online for free with the Paper of Record app for your iPhone or IPad. Works great. I have been reading old issues from the 1961-62 season.

The app only costs $4.99. Best $5 I ever spent.
    Last edited by apbaball; 07-09-2014 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by apbaball View Post
    "I have been buying old Sporting News editions"

You can read them online for free with the Paper of Record app for your iPhone or IPad. Works great. I have been reading old issues from the 1961-62 season.

The app only costs $4.99. Best $5 I ever spent.
    That is good info, I appreciate it. When I get an iphone or ipad I will certainly get that app. Thanks!

Just bought The Pittsburgh Cocaine Seven: How a Ragtag Group of Fans Took the Fall for Major League Baseball by Aaron Skirboll. The 1985 Pittsburgh cocaine trials have come up recently in a thread and I realized how little I have read on this topic. I have some interesting blurbs about it in a couple of the late-season 1985 The Sporting News editions I have, but the paper really doesn't cover the details (at least not the editions I have currently). I vaguely remember this from almost 30 years ago (my how time flies), but I was only 10 when the trial hit and I only remember anti-drug messages about "just say no" and eggs in frying pans.

If anyone has read this book, I'd appreciate a quick review.
    "It ain't braggin' if you can do it!" Dizzy Dean

"He was a natural athlete. He was also one of the strongest men I'd ever met. He could tear telephone books in half all day long. He never used a knife to cut an apple; he simply split it in two with his fingers. And he was fast. Dave could outrun anyone on our team. . . . The Lord had given freely to Dave." Willie Stargell on Dave Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtipper View Post
    Now I'm reading The Yankees Baseball Reader: A Collection of Writings on the Game's Greatest Dynasty by Adam Brunner and Josh Leventhal.
    I finished this one. It was very good and I would recommend it.

Next up is Dave Winfield's Dropping the Ball.
    Check out my stuff for sale on eBay! Currently for sale: Lots of Dave Winfield and Vernon Wells!

My website...
    My other website...
    My other, other website...

Going to start "Where they ain't" again.
    “There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and to shame the devil.” – Walter Lippmann

"I personally think it's too bad if a batter gets hit crowding the plate." - Roger Craig

Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36444546