Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 35434445
Results 1,101 to 1,112 of 1112

Thread: What Are You Reading Right Now?

Just finished National Pastime: Why America Plays Baseball and the Rest of the World Plays Soccer.

It's a comparative economic history of baseball and soccer.

Now I'm currently on THE BOOK.

"Just Out Of Reach: The 1980s New York Yankees" by Greg Prato.

This is a new book that is a pure oral history of Yankee players of the 80s recalling the only decade they didn't win a championship. This book really fills a void in Yankee history that hasn't been told enough though the author's style isn't refined enough in that he needed to give us some better editing and should have written some good connective narrative to flesh things out a bit (the author has previously done oral histories of the 1980s NY Jets and NY Islanders).

Quote Originally Posted by epaddon View Post
    "Just Out Of Reach: The 1980s New York Yankees" by Greg Prato.

This is a new book that is a pure oral history of Yankee players of the 80s recalling the only decade they didn't win a championship. This book really fills a void in Yankee history that hasn't been told enough though the author's style isn't refined enough in that he needed to give us some better editing and should have written some good connective narrative to flesh things out a bit (the author has previously done oral histories of the 1980s NY Jets and NY Islanders).
    Sounds interesting. Thanks for the heads up.
    Check out my Canadian baseball history blog called "Cooperstowners in Canada": http://www.kevinglew.wordpress.com

Read "Tales from the Deadball Era" by Mark S. Halfon last week. Enjoyed it quite a bit, especially all the shenanigans that would not be tolerated today.

Just started "Brooks" by Doug Wilson, enjoyable so far.

Just finished "bigger than the game" by dirk hayhurst...ever since reading the "bullpen gospels" I have been hooked...does not compare to the previous mentioned one, but deals with a lot of darkness...great section on his rehab time at dr james andrews place

1. Where Nobody Knows Your Name: Life In the Minor Leagues of Baseball by John Feinstein

A book focusing on several players in AAA back in 2012. Chris Schwinden of the Mets and others like Nate McLouth appear.

2. Wins, Losses, and Empty Seats: How Baseball Outlasted the Great Depression by David George Surdam

Focuses on MLB in the Great Depression, how teams cut salaries and made changes to the game to stay afloat.
    "Hitting is timing. Pitching is upsetting timing." - Warren Spahn

Quote Originally Posted by Blue387 View Post
    1. Where Nobody Knows Your Name: Life In the Minor Leagues of Baseball by John Feinstein

A book focusing on several players in AAA back in 2012. Chris Schwinden of the Mets and others like Nate McLouth appear.

2. Wins, Losses, and Empty Seats: How Baseball Outlasted the Great Depression by David George Surdam

Focuses on MLB in the Great Depression, how teams cut salaries and made changes to the game to stay afloat.
    Hows the feinstein book?

I'm currently reading Put It In the Book!: A Half-Century of Mets Mania by Howie Rose.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap78 View Post
    Hows the feinstein book?
    I like it. It's a book focusing on the life of AAA players, Durham Bulls manager Charlie Montoya and an umpire. They give a chapter to guys like Brett Tomko, Nate McLouth, John Lindsey and Chris Schwinden, who bounced around the waiver wire in 2012.
    "Hitting is timing. Pitching is upsetting timing." - Warren Spahn

Yogi Berra Quotes=

Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours.

Finally read Will Leitch's Are We Winning? Fathers and Sons in the New Golden Age of Baseball. It was just incredible. I'd imagine Leitch isn't everyone's cup of tea around here, but I thought it was just great.
    Final 2009 attendance record: 2-4 plus PNC Park in Pittsburgh.
    Final 2010 attendance record: 5-6
    Final 2011 attendance record: 6-4 plus trips to both NYC parks and Minnesota.
    Coming in 2012: Sox games at the Cell and St. Louis, plus a few games in Milwaukee.

Follow my thoughts on the Sox, sports, and everything else on Twitter @KPChiSports.

The 1923 New York Yankees: A History of Their First World Championship Season by Ronald Mayer

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51FSUSR0RmL.jpg
    Axes grind and maces clash!

Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 35434445