Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 40484950
Results 1,226 to 1,236 of 1236

Thread: What Are You Reading Right Now?

Quote Originally Posted by Elysian Fields View Post
    I like this book. You should also try, if you haven't already, the author's other baseball book about the early St. Louis Browns (19th century, but now the Cardinals): "The Summer of Beer and Whiskey". It is even better since it really just explores the history of the baseball organization and that particular one season.
    I picked up The Summer of Beer and Whiskey at the same time. Have yet to start it yet, although I will bump it up to the next on my reading list on your recommendation.

If there are any other good books on 19th century base ball you could recommend I would greatly appreciate it. The only other one I have is Albert Spalding's book "Base Ball".
    RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Quote Originally Posted by brewcrew82 View Post
    If there are any other good books on 19th century base ball you could recommend I would greatly appreciate it. The only other one I have is Albert Spalding's book "Base Ball".
    Here are a few.

The Beer and Whisky League: The Illustrated History of the American Association--Baseball's Renegade Major League by David Nemec

Where They Ain't: The Fabled Life and Untimely Death of the Original Baltimore Orioles, the Team That Gave Birth to Modern Baseball by Burt Solomon

The Great 19th Century Encyclopedia of Major League Baseball by David Nemec

The Rank and File of 19th Century Major League Baseball: Biographies of 1,084 Players, Owners, Managers and Umpires by David Nemec

A Game of Brawl: The Orioles, the Beaneaters, and the Battle for the 1897 Pennant by Bill Felber

Players and Teams of the National Association, 1871-1875 by Paul Batesel

Nineteenth Century Baseball: Year-By-Year Statistics for the Major League Teams, 1871 Through 1900 by Marshall D. Wright

Tale of Four Cities: Nineteenth Century Baseball's Most Exciting Season; in Contemporary Accounts by Jean-Pierre Cailut (1889 Season)

Long Before the Dodgers: Baseball in Brooklyn, 1855-1884 by James L. Terry

The League that Lasted: 1876 and the Founding of the National League of Professional Baseball Clubs by Neil W. Macdonald

When the Dodgers Were Bridegrooms: Gunner McGunnigle and Brooklyn's Back-to-Back Pennants of 1889 and 1890 by Ronald G. Shafer
    Last edited by jsontag; 01-26-2016 at 09:16 AM.
    Axes grind and maces clash!

Quote Originally Posted by jsontag View Post
    Here are a few.

The Beer and Whisky League: The Illustrated History of the American Association--Baseball's Renegade Major League by David Nemec

Where They Ain't: The Fabled Life and Untimely Death of the Original Baltimore Orioles, the Team That Gave Birth to Modern Baseball by Burt Solomon

The Great 19th Century Encyclopedia of Major League Baseball by David Nemec

The Rank and File of 19th Century Major League Baseball: Biographies of 1,084 Players, Owners, Managers and Umpires by David Nemec

A Game of Brawl: The Orioles, the Beaneaters, and the Battle for the 1897 Pennant by Bill Felber

Players and Teams of the National Association, 1871-1875 by Paul Batesel

Nineteenth Century Baseball: Year-By-Year Statistics for the Major League Teams, 1871 Through 1900 by Marshall D. Wright

Tale of Four Cities: Nineteenth Century Baseball's Most Exciting Season; in Contemporary Accounts by Jean-Pierre Cailut (1889 Season)

Long Before the Dodgers: Baseball in Brooklyn, 1855-1884 by James L. Terry

The League that Lasted: 1876 and the Founding of the National League of Professional Baseball Clubs by Neil W. Macdonald

When the Dodgers Were Bridegrooms: Gunner McGunnigle and Brooklyn's Back-to-Back Pennants of 1889 and 1890 by Ronald G. Shafer
    Awesome!!! Thanks!
    RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

I'm reading The Incredible Mets by Maury Allen.

I just picked up all four volumes of The Fireside Book of Baseball series for $14 at a used book store. I've heard about this series and been wanting them for awhile, so I'm pretty excited to start reading them.
    "I'm the only winner on this team. The rest of 'em, they're losers. Either by choice, or by birth." -- Jack Parkman

I just finished the new Cobb book: Ty Cobb, A Terrible Beauty. This is a must - read for any Ty Cobb fan. If you haven't heard, the author goes back and researches the true story of Ty Cobb and explains in detail how the Al Stump book and Cobb movie are basically worthless. He also points to THIS WEBSITE as a source for some of his research!

I had loaned Cobb's biography to my young nephew (12 yrs old) and then felt a little guilty when he became obsessed with baseball's biggest monster. After finishing this book, I am relieved to know that Cobb's biography is a lot closer to the truth than most of the information out there, including Ken Burns documentary which paints him as a dangerous man.

I'm currently reading If at First: A Season With the Mets by Keith Hernandez and Mike Bryan.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtipper View Post
    I'm currently reading If at First: A Season With the Mets by Keith Hernandez and Mike Bryan.
    ^^ good book, would recommend. Hernandez's arrogance gets to be a little much sometimes, but a quality read.

Now I'm reading The Worst Team Money Could Buy by Bob Klapisch and John Harper.

Just curious guys

For those that have read fools rush in by bill James how did they enjoy it?

Quote Originally Posted by Cod View Post
    I just picked up all four volumes of The Fireside Book of Baseball series for $14 at a used book store. I've heard about this series and been wanting them for awhile, so I'm pretty excited to start reading them.
    Great books at a great price! I read those growing up in the 70's. Lots of BB history.
    Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Just finished Ryne Duren's I Can See Clearly Now. With a 100 mph fastball and a serious drinking problem, Duren was Yanks closer before the term was used. Follows his career from late 50's to mid 60's, including glory years with Yanks in '60-61. Split between 50% baseball and 50% alcohol education without being preachy. This book segued nicely into Mariano Rivera's The Closer, which I'm halfway through. Amazing how Mo takes little credit for his abilities and chalks most of it up to God-given talent. I liked how he was able to bad-mouth the PED bunch without really saying anything bad . You have to read it to see what I mean. Both books are easy reading and highly recommended.
    Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 40484950