Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 38464748
Results 1,176 to 1,187 of 1187

Thread: What Are You Reading Right Now?

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Bunter View Post
    It discusses a possibility not often mentioned: the Giants going to SF and the Dodgers staying.
    I wonder how that would have worked, having only one major league team in California, and none in between San Francisco and St. Louis.
    Check out my new autograph blog

Signed 1953 Topps Project: 102/274 (37.23%) complete

Quote Originally Posted by egri View Post
    I wonder how that would have worked, having only one major league team in California, and none in between San Francisco and St. Louis.
    That was the plan in the American League, one that they were about to vote on (the St. Louis Browns moving to LA), but then the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor something like the day before the vote and it never happened.
    H is for Hornsby
    When pitching to Rog
    The pitcher would pitch,
    Then the pitcher would dodge.

-- Ogden Nash in his "Line-up for Yesterday: An ABC of Baseball Immortals"

I'm reading a book about anti-gravity. I can't put it down!
    "Look at it, man", he said as if he had read my thoughts. "they call it America, and they call it civilization, and they call it television, and they believe in it and salute it and sing songs to it and eat and sleep and die still believing in it, and---and---I don't know", he said, taking another drag, "then some time the Mets come along and win the World Series___" Gram Parsons, quoted by Stanley Booth in Dance With The Devil

George Sisler's biography The Sizzler. It's ok so far. The best biographies I've read since the beginning of 2014 are:

Walter Johnson Baseball's Big Train by Henry W. Thomas
    Nap Lajoie King of Ballplayers by David L. Fleitz
    Eddie Collins by Rick Huhn
    Smoky Joe Wood by Gerald Wood
    George Sisler: The Sizzler by Rick Huhn
    Casey Stengel: You Could Look It Up by Maury Allen
    Last edited by bluesky5; 01-14-2015 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesky5 View Post
    George Sisler's biography The Sizzler. It's ok so far. The best biographies I've read since the beginning of 2014 are:

Walter Johnson Baseball's Big Train by Henry W. Thomas
    Nap Lajoie King of Ballplayers by David L. Fleitz
    Eddie Collins by Rick Huhn
    Smoky Joe Wood by Gerald Wood
    George Sisler: The Sizzler by Rick Huhn
    Casey Stengel: You Could Look It Up by Maury Allen
    Is Gerald Wood related to Smoky Joe?
    "Look at it, man", he said as if he had read my thoughts. "they call it America, and they call it civilization, and they call it television, and they believe in it and salute it and sing songs to it and eat and sleep and die still believing in it, and---and---I don't know", he said, taking another drag, "then some time the Mets come along and win the World Series___" Gram Parsons, quoted by Stanley Booth in Dance With The Devil

Quote Originally Posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    Is Gerald Wood related to Smoky Joe?
    He says he is not.

I'm reading Andy McCue of SABR's Mover and Shaker, a biography of Walter O'Malley. It's impressive.

I shall now read George Will's Men at Work.
    Check out my stuff for sale on eBay! Autos of J. Donaldson, Russell Martin, L. Zawadzki, Ruddy Lugo, F. Carmona, Travis Buck, T. Pastornicky, Jesse English, Cole Gillespie, Luke Hughes, D. Hutchison, J. Saltalamacchia, Juan Salas, Keenyn Walker, CJ Cron, T. Cahill and Ivan Nova! Jersey cards of S. Marcum, Corey Hart and Brady Rodgers! Bat cards of J. Votto, A. Ethier and Mark Reynolds! A guide on how to get autographs...for free!

My website...
    My other website...
    My other, other website...

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtipper View Post
    I shall now read George Will's Men at Work.
    I got distracted reading other books so I'm only nine or so pages into this one. One of those other books is The Innocent Man by John Grisham, which is about the minor leaguer Ron Williamson who was falsely accused of murder.
    Check out my stuff for sale on eBay! Autos of J. Donaldson, Russell Martin, L. Zawadzki, Ruddy Lugo, F. Carmona, Travis Buck, T. Pastornicky, Jesse English, Cole Gillespie, Luke Hughes, D. Hutchison, J. Saltalamacchia, Juan Salas, Keenyn Walker, CJ Cron, T. Cahill and Ivan Nova! Jersey cards of S. Marcum, Corey Hart and Brady Rodgers! Bat cards of J. Votto, A. Ethier and Mark Reynolds! A guide on how to get autographs...for free!

My website...
    My other website...

Quote Originally Posted by egri View Post
    Actually if the Dodgers had stayed, the Giants would have gone to Minneapolis, not San Francisco.

2 on the go.

Shipwrecked - A people's history of the Mariners & Cobb by Al Stump

I just received a book published in 1988 called Baseball's Hot New Stars by Bill Gutman. It's interesting to read about the perceived 'stars' of various eras.

My website...
    My other website...

Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 38464748