Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39474849
Results 1,201 to 1,211 of 1211

Thread: What Are You Reading Right Now?

Just started the bio from umpire Doug Harvey, entitled "They Called Me God". This bio will likely provide a unique take on historical developments over the 1960s-1990s. Anyway, that is the main reason I'm reading it.
    Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill.

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

I've enjoyed a lot of ump memoirs, but that one I wasn't impressed by because frankly Harvey came off as more than a bit egocentric in it.

I finished Bruce Weber's Inside Baseball 1990. He predicted Bert Blyleven would win 300 games by the time he was 40 in that book ... obviously it didn't happen.
    Check out my stuff for sale on eBay! Autos of Trevor Cahill, Allen Webster, Russell Martin, Wilson Ramos, Ruddy Lugo, Travis Buck, Jordan Tata, Peter Moylan and Eric Reed! Relics of Mark Reynolds, Mike Minor, Brady Rodgers, Corey Hart and Danny Espinosa! 50 card lots of the Giants, Twins and Reds! Plus, a guide on how to get autographs...for free!

My website...
    My other website...
    My other, other website...

An American Journey by Jerry Coleman. Classy book by a classy guy. No cussin', no badmouthing anybody, just a good, clean straightforward story.
    Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

I just finished Baseball Quotations by Helen Exley. This is one of those dinky little pocket books you pick up at a grocery store when you forgot someone's birthday and need a quick gift. It took 10 minutes to read. I can't believe someone would spend $8 on it.
    Check out my stuff for sale on eBay! Autos of Trevor Cahill, Allen Webster, Russell Martin, Wilson Ramos, Ruddy Lugo, Travis Buck, Jordan Tata, Peter Moylan and Eric Reed! Relics of Mark Reynolds, Mike Minor, Brady Rodgers, Corey Hart and Danny Espinosa! 50 card lots of the Giants, Twins and Reds! Plus, a guide on how to get autographs...for free!

My website...
    My other website...

Quote Originally Posted by egri View Post
    Just finished the Summer of '49. As a Red Sox fan the ending was hard, but it's a book I'd definitely recommend. Next up: October 1964.
    You can't go wrong with Halberstam--no matter what topic he tackles, he absolutely nails it. I just read Summer of '49 (for the third time in my life), and I can tell you that 1964 is even better!
    Thanks for listening!

freak

I'm currently reading Faith and Fear in Flushing by Greg Prince. It's a good book.

On October 6, 2013, I posted that I was reading We Played the Game by Danny Peary. I'm still reading it. 250 pages in, 400 or so to go. I keep putting it down and picking up shorter, easier reads.

My website...
    My other website...

Quote Originally Posted by epaddon View Post
    I've enjoyed a lot of ump memoirs, but that one I wasn't impressed by because frankly Harvey came off as more than a bit egocentric in it.
    That'll happen when they call you God.
    "Look at it, man", he said as if he had read my thoughts. "they call it America, and they call it civilization, and they call it television, and they believe in it and salute it and sing songs to it and eat and sleep and die still believing in it, and---and---I don't know", he said, taking another drag, "then some time the Mets come along and win the World Series___" Gram Parsons, quoted by Stanley Booth in Dance With The Devil

Anybody read "Long Shot" by Mike Piazza? Hate to start a thread to ask that question, and the search engine didn't help me out.
    "They say Cub fans are supposed to be behind you, and they're ripping everything we do. I hope we get hotter than * just to stuff those people. If they're the real Chicago Cubs fans, they can kiss my * * right downtown. Those * don't even work. Eighty-five percent of the country is working, and the other fifteen percent is out here. " -- Lee Elia, Cubs manager, 1983

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S0CDtEz_Bo PG-13

I'm presently on Sports Heroes: Baseball by Mark Littleton, another short one that details the careers and faith in Christ of numerous well-known Christian ballplayers.

After that, I'm going to read Summer of '49 by David Halberstam.

My website...
    My other website...

I'm finally getting around to reading Jules Tygiel's Baseball'season Great Experiment: Jackie Robinson and His Legacy.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39474849