Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Trades/Rumors before trade deadline

3.6 is Wells ERA for JULY.

If this is the only move, I'm not impressed.

I'm not sure exactly what I was hoping for, but this wasn't it.
    Ken

Tell me about it! I hope don't just pick him up. I mean if David Wells does really good the radio was saying a rotation of:

Schilling, Beckett, Wakefield, Lester, D. Wells

EDIT
    Kip Wells to the Rangers. PHEW! The Sox were gonna give up Abe Alvarez it seems like.

Blog Entries
    The Wells deal (luckily for Sox fans) may be in jeopardy at the moment... Not sure why but thats what they are saying on ESPN news...
    "There are three things in my life which I really love: God, my family, and baseball. The only problem - once baseball season starts, I change the order around a bit.
    ~~Al Gallagher

God Bless America!

Click here to see my baseball tribute site!

Click here to see the best pitcher NOT in the HOF!

Now, people are saying the Red Sox may stand pat with who they have and not make any trades..which would be a bad idea because the pitching staff isn't doing so well lately.

The only reason they would say that they are going to stay with what they have is because they couldn't make anything happen. Too bad. Santa didn't come this year.

Look at it this way: Not getting Kip Wells was an unbelievable move this season!
    Last edited by SoxSon; 07-31-2006 at 12:59 PM.

I guess we're gonna have to wait for about 10 minutes..that's when all the blockbusters come rolling in.

Blog Entries
    I heard that Wells actually went to Texas.. Although I have yet to confirm this...

Good news for Sox fans!!!
    "There are three things in my life which I really love: God, my family, and baseball. The only problem - once baseball season starts, I change the order around a bit.
    ~~Al Gallagher

God Bless America!

Click here to see my baseball tribute site!

Click here to see the best pitcher NOT in the HOF!

so nothing happend?

I dont think so, unless they wanna hide a great trade but I don't think Theo did anything.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardLikeWhoa
    so nothing happend?
    Oh, you didn't hear?
    We didn't get Kip Wells today. Yahoo!!!

nothing huh. That's depressing. How do we do nothing when there are so many HUGE rumors?

Let's make a deal..

5 PM and if there are no trades then you can say Boston did nothing.

Btw, Trot is on the 15-day DL with the bicep injury. Van Buren is back to Pawtucket and Brian Corey is called up to Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by rwolfe09
    Let's make a deal..

5 PM and if there are no trades then you can say Boston did nothing.

I agree. Let's wait a bit still.

Unfortunately i've been waiting and I'm not very optimistic that anything is going to happen. Kip Wells was a decent pitcher when healthy, and I'd certainly take him over Alvarez which is what we would have given up, I don't know why we didn't make that move. I'm very underwhelmed though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager
    Unfortunately i've been waiting and I'm not very optimistic that anything is going to happen. Kip Wells was a decent pitcher when healthy
    Yeah but his ERA and record..ergh no way.

He was hurt most of the year and only made 8 starts, the last 4 of which were pretty good.

It's just been announced on ESPN that Alfonso Soriano will stay with the Washington Nationals.

So, we officially done now? I suspect so.

Quote Originally Posted by SoxSon
    So, we officially done now? I suspect so.
    I'm gonna second that. I mean unless we get someone through the waiver wire sometime later. I mean I can see Schilling, Beckett, Wakefield, Lester and Wells pitching (switch around Timmy and David if you wanna). Plus we all know Matt Clement is done for the year since he went to the 60-day DL. With them in the rotation you'll have Snyder in the bullpen but im still pretty mad that we are stuck with Seanez and sometimes stuck with Tavarez. I mean I can stand with Manny, Coco and a revolving Pena/Kapler in right field until Trot is ok. The infield is fine. So that's how I feel after the highly quiet Red Sox 2006 trading deadline.

Wow I didn't see this coming. The worst part is that not only did we not get any help, but Nixon is on the DL, so technically we got no help and we lost a player. Fantastic.

If Wells does bad tonight, expect Theo to be busy to get a player through the waivers..I'm thinking maybe someone like Mark Redman (first name popped into my head).

can someone explain all that to me? I don't understand how you can get players after the trade deadline. Anyone know what the waiver wire is all about?

Theo confirms it. No trades, "very disappointed", "didn't want to sacrifice big part of future for 2 months of work."

Quote Originally Posted by Jager
    can someone explain all that to me? I don't understand how you can get players after the trade deadline. Anyone know what the waiver wire is all about?
    This is from Wikipedia.org:
    Any player under contract may be placed on waivers at any time. If a player is waived, any team may claim him. If more than one team claims a player from waivers, the team with the lowest record in the player's league gets preference. If no team in the player's league claims him, the claiming team with the lowest record in the other league gets preference. The previous year's standings are used during the first month of a season to determine preference.

If a team claims a player off waivers and has the viable claim as described above, his first team may choose one of the following:

arrange a trade with the new team for that player within two business days of the claim; or
    rescind the request and keep the player on their major league roster, effectively canceling the waiver; or
    do nothing and allow the claiming team to assume the player's existing contract, pay a waiver fee to the first team, and place him on their active major league roster
    If a player is claimed and the option to rescind is used, this option to rescind a waiver may not be used again for that player in that season. If no team claims a player from waivers in three business days, the player has cleared waivers and may be assigned to a minor league team, traded, or released outright.

The waiver "wire" is a secret within the personnel of the Major League Baseball clubs; no announcement of a waiver is made until a transaction actually occurs. Many players are often quietly waived during the August "waiver-required" trading period to gauge trade interest in a particular player. Usually, when the player is claimed, the waiving team will rescind the waiver to avoid losing the player unless a trade can be worked out with the claiming team.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast