Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belgian baseball

Belgian baseball

Since I couldn't find a Belgian thread, I decided I'd create one in my first post
    The sites I'll be giving are either in Dutch or in French, so most members here won't be having that much of a good read out of them...well...
    Homepage of the VBSL (for Flemmish ("Dutch") teams):
    http://www.baseballsoftball.be/

Homepage of the LFBBS (for French-speaking teams):
    http://www.lfbbs.be/

Homepage of the Blegian national team:
    http://www.flandersallstars.be/

The overall situation of baseball in Belgium is...well, weak... especially compared to our neighbours in Holland. They have beautiful terrains right accross the border, and over here some parks don't even have grass on them
    Another problem in Belgium is that everything is being dominated by Antwerp, the oldest teams are located in Antwerp and this brings consequences like most organising organs being filled with people from Antwerp. This is a problem because there's a certain arrogance in Antwerp. For example:
    if a team from Limburg and a team from West-Vlaanderen should play against each other, it's very possible that there won't be an umpire, simply because they really couldn't care less over at the league...
    oh well, like my old coach used to say: "I've never been disappointed in baseball, only in some people who are in baseball"

Yankeebiscuitfan Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sewen
    Since I couldn't find a Belgian thread, I decided I'd create one in my first post
    The sites I'll be giving are either in Dutch or in French, so most members here won't be having that much of a good read out of them...well...
    Homepage of the VBSL (for Flemmish ("Dutch") teams):
    http://www.baseballsoftball.be/

Homepage of the LFBBS (for French-speaking teams):
    http://www.lfbbs.be/

Homepage of the Blegian national team:
    http://www.flandersallstars.be/

The overall situation of baseball in Belgium is...well, weak... especially compared to our neighbours in Holland. They have beautiful terrains right accross the border, and over here some parks don't even have grass on them
    Another problem in Belgium is that everything is being dominated by Antwerp, the oldest teams are located in Antwerp and this brings consequences like most organising organs being filled with people from Antwerp. This is a problem because there's a certain arrogance in Antwerp. For example:
    if a team from Limburg and a team from West-Vlaanderen should play against each other, it's very possible that there won't be an umpire, simply because they really couldn't care less over at the league...
    oh well, like my old coach used to say: "I've never been disappointed in baseball, only in some people who are in baseball"
    Hey, nice to have you around. As far as I know, you're the first Belgian member on this board. Welcome.

Do you play yourself? If so do you play in Hasselt or do you play for another team? I have played a softball game in Antwerp with my former team, Amsterdam Pirates. I must say that the field of the Antwerp Eagles is quite nice. Situated next to the highway, they were forced to install very large nets, to prevent the fly balls hit the cars on the highway.

Nevertheless it is a damn shame that some people don't care about the game, so a game can't be played because there is no umpire. It is the same overhere. Home teams have to take care of an umpire themselves. Because of this there is a big risk that the umpire will call the game in favour of the home team and I hate that.

Anyway, have fun on this board. BTW I hope you are a Yankee fan . There can never be enough of them... (sorry Soxson, CB and Annie).

This board is becoming an intenational site more and more. That's what I like about it.
    Last edited by Yankeebiscuitfan; 07-31-2006 at 04:58 PM.

And a big WELCOME from me as well Sewen. Thanks for the post about baseball in Belgium. Maybe one day they will be able to challenge for the European championships and eventually go onto WBC competition. And I hope you are not a Yankee fan - there are too many of them here :-) A Dodgers fan would be good!
    "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

baseball belgium

hi guys i m a baseball player from belgium (the south part of the country).
    yeah the situation in belgium is weak but antwerp does some good things for baseball . they have some good fields and good programs for players.
    so were you guys are from? did anyone played in the european championship in poland ? or in the world youth classic in binghamton ny?

A big welcome to our new Belgian members. Great to see so many fellow Europeans on here.

Well done on your bronze medal in the Euro Baseball Qualifiers earlier this year.

Happy posting.
    Greystones Mariners Baseball Club. The oldest baseball club in Ireland. 16 years and still going strong.

www.greystonesbaseball.org

Antwerp Eagles

In 1985, I played in the Europeasn Cup in Antwerp as a member of teh PAris University Club i remeber the nice field, great french fries and beautifull blonde girls. A great memory

Yankeebiscuitfan Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BenjieM
    In 1985, I played in the Europeasn Cup in Antwerp as a member of teh PAris University Club i remeber the nice field, great french fries and beautifull blonde girls. A great memory
    I guess you have played in Paris in the European cup as well. It was in 1987 I think. The club I used to root for, Amstel Tigers from Amsterdam, played there as well. Unfortunately the club doesn't excist anymore.

I remember some kind of yoghurt drink was your club's sponsor.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeebiscuitfan
    I remember some kind of yoghurt drink was your club's sponsor.
    Les Petits Filous? Oh J'adore les Petits Filous.
    Greystones Mariners Baseball Club. The oldest baseball club in Ireland. 16 years and still going strong.

www.greystonesbaseball.org

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeebiscuitfan
    Hey, nice to have you around. As far as I know, you're the first Belgian member on this board. Welcome.

Do you play yourself? If so do you play in Hasselt or do you play for another team? I have played a softball game in Antwerp with my former team, Amsterdam Pirates. I must say that the field of the Antwerp Eagles is quite nice. Situated next to the highway, they were forced to install very large nets, to prevent the fly balls hit the cars on the highway.

Nevertheless it is a damn shame that some people don't care about the game, so a game can't be played because there is no umpire. It is the same overhere. Home teams have to take care of an umpire themselves. Because of this there is a big risk that the umpire will call the game in favour of the home team and I hate that.

Anyway, have fun on this board. BTW I hope you are a Yankee fan . There can never be enough of them... (sorry Soxson, CB and Annie).

This board is becoming an intenational site more and more. That's what I like about it.
    I do actually play, I've only been playing for 4 years, but hey I'm young, I'm allowed to be inexperienced
    I play in Genk (Limburg White Sox), wich is a neighbouring city of Hasselt. The C.R.E.W. in Hasselt doesn't exist anymore...

I know the field of the Eagles, we used to play in the same group as them with the youth. There are 3 things that I remember about the Antwerp Eagles:
    1) They really do have a nice field
    2) the field lies next to the highway
    3) those kids were crazy, immune to the flu, extremely warm blooded or something I remember playing them at the end of the season, with the winter coming in early, it was absolutely freezing and there was lots of wind (but it wasn't raining, so we went to play ball). While we were wearing 2-3 shirts underneath our jerseys + our jackets whenever we were in the dug-out, they played in their t-shirts as if it was a sunny day in august

About the umping: over here, normally, there should be an official umpire, but the league has an enormous shortage of official umpires and thus it selects which games get one. If there isn't an official ump ---> the hometeam is obliged to deliver one. Which often brings obvious problems...
    Though I have the idea that it's even worse in the Netherlands, I remember only one occasion in NL where there was an ump that wasn't deliverd by the hometeam. Our Junioren-team played in the Dutch competition in 2005 (the same group as Sittard, Maastricht, Venlo, Beek, Parkstad, etc.). I liked that year, I regard inhabitants of Dutch Limburg more as my compatriots than people from Antwerp, the Vlaanders or Wallonie anyway ^ ^

Clem:
    Which team in Wallonie is it that you play for?

Yankeebiscuitfan Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sewen
    I do actually play, I've only been playing for 4 years, but hey I'm young, I'm allowed to be inexperienced
    I play in Genk (Limburg White Sox), wich is a neighbouring city of Hasselt. The C.R.E.W. in Hasselt doesn't exist anymore...

I know the field of the Eagles, we used to play in the same group as them with the youth. There are 3 things that I remember about the Antwerp Eagles:
    1) They really do have a nice field
    2) the field lies next to the highway
    3) those kids were crazy, immune to the flu, extremely warm blooded or something I remember playing them at the end of the season, with the winter coming in early, it was absolutely freezing and there was lots of wind (but it wasn't raining, so we went to play ball). While we were wearing 2-3 shirts underneath our jerseys + our jackets whenever we were in the dug-out, they played in their t-shirts as if it was a sunny day in august

About the umping: over here, normally, there should be an official umpire, but the league has an enormous shortage of official umpires and thus it selects which games get one. If there isn't an official ump ---> the hometeam is obliged to deliver one. Which often brings obvious problems...
    Though I have the idea that it's even worse in the Netherlands, I remember only one occasion in NL where there was an ump that wasn't deliverd by the hometeam. Our Junioren-team played in the Dutch competition in 2005 (the same group as Sittard, Maastricht, Venlo, Beek, Parkstad, etc.). I liked that year, I regard inhabitants of Dutch Limburg more as my compatriots than people from Antwerp, the Vlaanders or Wallonie anyway ^ ^

Clem:
    Which team in Wallonie is it that you play for?
    Hi Sewen,

Did you get my PM or my e-mail? What do you think about the proposition?

Regards,

YBF.

I play for the frameries athletics but now i m living in the USA for the year so i wont be playing next season.

Yankeebiscuitfan Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by clem be
    I play for the frameries athletics but now i m living in the USA for the year so i wont be playing next season.
    Why don't you try a team in the US?

thats why i m here for! i wont play next season with my club team in belgium but i ll play for sure here in the usa!

Yankeebiscuitfan Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by clem be
    thats why i m here for! i wont play next season with my club team in belgium but i ll play for sure here in the usa!
    College I guess? Or a MiLB try out? The latter would be great.

no i m at high school here so i ll play for the team of the school and the american legion. college will be nexta year!

Blog Entries
    I played in Belgium in 2004 for the Hoboken Pioneers (a suburb of Antwerp) www.pioneers.be

I love international baseball and I'm always looking for new countries and teams to play for.

Currently i'm playing in Sweden, www.karlskogabats.com

I live in Atlanta, GA and am planning on treating 20+ co-workers from Belgium to an Atlanta Braves game. However I'm a little reluctant because I am not sure if they will enjoy it. Is there anything I can do to make the experience more enjoyable for them? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I plan on offering them the traditional American ballpark beers (cheap and watered down!) however they PALE in comparison to what Belgian beer offers.

Maybe a Baseball 101 Book? Or would that "insult" their intelligence.

I had a friend back in highschool who played in Belgain in the early to mid
    90's and could never find anything on him. Are there any sites in english that keep stats back over 10 yrs ago that I can check out?

As of 5/11/12 3610 Autographs and Growing!! 3117 of which are Baseball!
    105 Pieces of Sports Memorabilia

Check out my Ebay listings!! Seller ID Howiek1227

Some of my Memorabilia Collection
    http://photobucket.com/HowiesMemo
    Check out my new Blog
    www.strongislandgrapher.blogspot.com

Are the leagues in Europe using wood bats?
    If so, what is the most popular bat company?
    I'm thinking of launching my line there.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Howiek ,

my name is sven and I play for the Mortsel Stars . What's your friends name , because if he played in Belgium , I must have faced him or played together with him ?

Freddy ,

the Belgian league is a wooden bat league . Starting from the 2008 season , composite bats are not allowed anymore . In my team , Mortsel Stars , a lot of the guys hit with Old Hickory .

Sven

Amstel Tigers

Amstel Tigers that is some time ago, great team great players.
    we had some players coming to play for us (Richard Knol, John Wood, Jaap Land) and a bunch off guys how help out whit some practice. The good old days.

Yankeebiscuitfan Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris9 View Post
    Amstel Tigers that is some time ago, great team great players.
    we had some players coming to play for us (Richard Knol, John Wood, Jaap Land) and a bunch off guys how help out whit some practice. The good old days.
    Yes I remember those names.

John Wood was an American from the Cleveland INdians organisation. He got injured in a motor accident. Could never reach the level he had (AAA if I am not mistaken). He played 1B mainly. I remember his name as Johnson Wood.

Richard Knol was the younger brother of Robert Knol. Robert played SS and Richard 2B if my memory serves me well. I remember Jaap Land playing left field.

Indeed the good old days. Sometimes I really miss that ball club.

I can't remember which team they played for in Belgium.

Nevermind... When I see the name of the town you are living in, it can only be the Brasschaat Braves...
    Last edited by Yankeebiscuitfan; 11-05-2007 at 11:46 AM.

yes that is correct the brasschaat braves, you guys came over for a weekend. did some clinic and play 2 games (you kick our ass) :-).
    John Wood became our coach for 3 years. Richard and me became the new keystone at Brasschaat. we had some fune years. mmmm....thinking about it is 20 years ago i was 16 pfff we getting old :-). So you doing still anything in baseball?

Wooden bats

Quote Originally Posted by freddy View Post
    Are the leagues in Europe using wood bats?
    If so, what is the most popular bat company?
    I'm thinking of launching my line there.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Hi,

At this point I've seen a lot of players using Baumbats. Brussels and Namur are teams that are using those a lot.
    It seems that next season, it won't be allowed anymore.

I have had experience with many brands and at this points, I have to say that the Akadema have proved to not break easily and be well balanced.

Akadema were really swong with by a lot of players a few years ago (I think there was some deal between the league or a club and Akadema).
    Louisville and Rawlings are still big despite the fact that a lot of other bat companies have flourished in the last few years.

In fact, I don't think that any team in Belgium has a deal with a bat company, so you see a lot of different brands in the league.

There are not many teams in Belgium but there are talks about having all adult teams in the country using wood within the next few years in Belgium. Probably not next year but I've heard that lower division teams are in favour of that idea. So there might be a market for you.

Also, if you want to start selling your bats over here, I know somebody who might be willing to be part of it. And you could also benefit from the fact that you could be seen in international tournaments too with a selection team if you make a deal with him.

I know that they are working on a deal with another bat company but I know nothing is done yet. If you need those conatct info, let me know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast