Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 279

Thread: Unbelievable Little League Story.

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    2,069
    Pretty sad, I do not remember EVER seeing an intentional walk when I played little league

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    14,506
    Blog Entries
    2
    Late to the party, but I don't the blame the coach. The kids parents probably wanted their son to have as normal a childhood as he could. Situations like these where it is possible to fail are normal for children. You can't put your kid out there in normal society and want everybody to treat him the same only when it favors your kid. Sometimes being treated normally is going to go against your child. That is life, you can yell and complain and treat your kid like a victim and those conspiring against him as the villains but that won't do any good for your child nor will it help him grow up to be a well adjusted adult. It appears that Romney did what I would hope someone in his position would do which is work harder to become better. Which if this hadn't happened, if they had given him special treatment, he would have less desire to improve himself. The actions of those who wish to protect him from hurtful feelings would have been doing him a disservice.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    West Greenwich, RI
    Posts
    5,445
    To those who seem to think the coaches are in the right here...you really think coaches should be calling for intentional walks in little league games so they can win games?

    Why? Wouldn't it be better for the pitcher to pitch to the big hitter, and either win or lose based on his abilities? Isn't it better for the big hitter to do the same? Whatever happened, the players woudn't have been crushed, and they'd have won or lost on their own merit, not on the workings of some coach who thinks he's Tony LaRussa or something.

    I think the less adults have to do with kids playing (other than making sure they're safe), the better.
    Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

  4. #24
    This coach is a peice of trash. Strategy my ass. They're kids. I hope his wife bitches at him non stop for a year(like I have to hope).

    All this tough love talk is ridiculous. They have the rest of their lives to be treated like dirt in the real world, let them feel ok about themselves for 15 minutes when they're 10.


    Does anyone think if the "best hitter" had been pitched too and won the game, that a 10 year old would second guess the coach about an intentional walk? IBBs don't happen in little league anyway. And if the kids were upset, they'll get over it and learn a lesson.


    When I was 10ish and in little league, I hated to lose too. Hell, I hated games ending in a tie.
    But then I grew up.

    If you want to take a competetive approach to life, fine. But that doesn't mean you have to take that attitude into a game. Especially into one where your job is to teach impressionable children. If this coach is such a great strategist, let Jim Leyland step aside and he can take over a major league team and see how much Confusious here can teach us.

    Treating someone who isn't as fortunate as you differently and-god forbid-helping them out isn't a sign of weakness, it's a sign of human decency-something this world and this culture severely lacks.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    2,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike D.
    To those who seem to think the coaches are in the right here...you really think coaches should be calling for intentional walks in little league games so they can win games?

    Why? Wouldn't it be better for the pitcher to pitch to the big hitter, and either win or lose based on his abilities? Isn't it better for the big hitter to do the same? Whatever happened, the players woudn't have been crushed, and they'd have won or lost on their own merit, not on the workings of some coach who thinks he's Tony LaRussa or something.

    I think the less adults have to do with kids playing (other than making sure they're safe), the better.
    The goal is to win, in any game.... while I think it is sad he walked him, it was, indeed, smart if you want to win...

    I agree with Ubiquitos 100%, the way to avoid this happening dont let the kid play, if he wants to play you have to expect things like this

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Portland, ME
    Posts
    593
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike D.
    When I was a kid (and I'm only 30), I played sandlot ball..and everyone played, everyone hit, and even when problems arose, we found ways around it to keep the game going.
    I'd been thinking almost exactly the same words as I'd been reading through some of the horror stories on the baseball fundamentals forum. There were two great things about sandlot ball: the one I appreciated at the time was that all day there weren't any grown-ups around. The one I appreciate now is that we had to choose up sides--sometimes with an odd number of players--decide disputed calls, when to quit and start over with new teams, all by ourselves. We all played very competitively, and some of us didn't even like one another very much, but as you say, we had to keep the game going, so we had our own conventions and intuitions about what was fair and not, and we relied on them. Never got much good as a ballplayer, but learned a lot about life.
    Last edited by Sliding Billy; 08-09-2006 at 02:44 PM.
    The ball once struck off,
    Away flies the boy
    To the next destin'd post,
    And then home with joy.
    --Anonymous, 1744

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    25,736
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike D.
    To those who seem to think the coaches are in the right here...you really think coaches should be calling for intentional walks in little league games so they can win games?
    Then's what the point of playing a championship game which this was?

    Why? Wouldn't it be better for the pitcher to pitch to the big hitter, and either win or lose based on his abilities? Isn't it better for the big hitter to do the same? Whatever happened, the players woudn't have been crushed, and they'd have won or lost on their own merit, not on the workings of some coach who thinks he's Tony LaRussa or something.
    How about the kids who won? People keep accusing the coaches of trying to win "for themselves". What, the coach's team didn't deserve to win. Didi those kids work hard all summer to get to this point? Shouldn't the coach do all he can to help his kids do the best they can?

    I think the less adults have to do with kids playing (other than making sure they're safe), the better.
    I can agree with that.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    25,736
    Blog Entries
    1
    Why are the adults so much more upset by this than the cancer kid? These adults should take a lesson from him. He's not pouting or giving interviews trashing the opposing coach for walking the other hitter to get to him. He took it in stide. Imagine that. He's not going to carry this stigma for the rest of his life. It's the upset adults that need to grow up.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    2,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Honus Wagner Rules
    Why are the adults so much more upset by this than the cancer kid? These adults should take a lesson from him. He's not pouting or giving interviews trashing the opposing coach for walking the other hitter to get to him. He took it in stide. Imagine that. He's not going to carry this stigma for the rest of his life. It's the upset adults that need to grow up.
    Because people think they have a right to get upset over anything.... even tho they do not

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Troy, NY
    Posts
    2,825
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike D.
    The line "I'd have done the same thing. It's just good baseball strategy" is very telling.

    Does anyone else find it wrong that when we're talking about 9 and 10 year olds, that "baseball strategy" comes into play at all?

    If you're a coach of little kids, and you're playing to win, you should go buy a copy of MLB 2006 for Playstation, and leave little kids alone. It's not about you and your manager fantasy, it's about the kids having fun.

    Ugh...disgusts me.
    My thoughts exactly

    Your are not a 'manager' in little league, you are a mentor to teach the game and get kids off of their vide games and learn the greatest game ever invented

    No one should have an intentional walk in little league

    and the kid with cancer SOBBED himself to sleep that night....that is ok with you??????

    As for the kids

    I don't recall one win, lose or tie in little league

    I remember after the game, we got a free snowcone
    Last edited by Imapotato; 08-09-2006 at 03:59 PM.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Astro
    Because people think they have a right to get upset over anything.... even tho they do not
    Interesting. I know our current administration is having its way with our constituional rights but I did not know our own emotions are now regulated.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    2,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Imapotato
    My thoughts exactly

    Your are not a 'manager' in little league, you are a mentor to teach the game and get kids off of their vide games and learn the greatest game ever invented

    No one should have an intentional walk in little league

    and the kid with cancer SOBBED himself to sleep that night....that is ok with you??????

    As for the kids

    I don't recall one win, lose or tie in little league

    I remember after the game, we got a free snowcone
    It's life, read Ubi's post.....

    Life isnt fair, not everyone can be happy.... there are winners and losers, the mentality many people have today of "Everyone's a winner" is not even close....

    It is sad, yes, but it's life, life isnt always fair.... if you want to protect a child from the harsh realities of life, dont let him out... keep him inside his entire life then when they leave they can become exposed to reality....

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    In and around Boston MA
    Posts
    1,139
    Quote Originally Posted by Honus Wagner Rules
    Why are the adults so much more upset by this than the cancer kid? These adults should take a lesson from him. He's not pouting or giving interviews trashing the opposing coach for walking the other hitter to get to him. He took it in stide. Imagine that. He's not going to carry this stigma for the rest of his life. It's the upset adults that need to grow up.
    Actually any Adult with an ounce of moral fiber would be upset that coaches of 9-10 year olds would put winning infront of victimizing a sickly child.

    If Romney had come up with the game on the line and failed w/o the Intentional Walk, then thats life. Like I said before the baseball stratagy excuse is complete garbage. If their town league was anything like mine was for kids that age then there were no tryouts and every kid who wants to play plays. You go through the batting order and let the kids play. And parents who want their child to be treated normally are should be upset when another supposed adult decides to turn said inclusion in to an opportunity to victimize and single out for personal gain.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bray, Co. Wicklow, Ireland
    Posts
    828
    To everybody who says that the boy shouldn't have been playing if he was so weak, which do you think would be more cruel:

    What happened to him in this article or...

    Telling him that he can't play.

    At that age it's all about equal opportunities for anybody who wants to play so singling out children and telling them they can't play because they aren't in good enough condition is going to affect a child much worse than one incident in a game.

    Also, this incident could have been handled a lot better by the parents and coaches. Instead of bickering about whether it was right or not they should have been comforting and encouraging him. I'm sure that the reaction made would just have made him feel worse and the last thing a child with a disability needs is to have their disability put on display and paraded in public.
    Greystones Mariners Baseball Club. The oldest baseball club in Ireland. 16 years and still going strong.

    www.greystonesbaseball.org

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    In and around Boston MA
    Posts
    1,139
    Quote Originally Posted by Astro
    It's life, read Ubi's post.....

    Life isnt fair, not everyone can be happy.... there are winners and losers, the mentality many people have today of "Everyone's a winner" is not even close....

    It is sad, yes, but it's life, life isnt always fair.... if you want to protect a child from the harsh realities of life, dont let him out... keep him inside his entire life then when they leave they can become exposed to reality....
    Youth Baseball is not life.

    Youth Baseball should be a diversion for him so he can enjoy being a kid, Not something to remind him that not only do you have cancer but adults, who should be caretakers of a fun activity and know better, will use it agisnt him and his team. That is unfair and unacceptable.

    Life is what that child and his family have to deal with every time the bring him in for treatment TO KEEP HIM ALIVE.

    Parents should not have to worry about protecting children from "harsh realities of life" when they send a 9 year old to play a ballgame.
    And this kid knows more about "harsh realities" than god willing you I, or anyone we know and love ever will.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    2,069
    Quote Originally Posted by ESPNFan
    Youth Baseball is not life.

    Youth Baseball should be a diversion for him so he can enjoy being a kid, Not something to remind him that not only do you have cancer but adults, who should be caretakers of a fun activity and know better, will use it agisnt him and his team. That is unfair and unacceptable.

    Life is what that child and his family have to deal with every time the bring him in for treatment TO KEEP HIM ALIVE.

    Parents should not have to worry about protecting children from "harsh realities of life" when they send a 9 year old to play a ballgame.
    And this kid knows more about "harsh realities" than god willing you I, or anyone we know and love ever will.
    He was playing baseball, he got up and he struck out.... how does that make the other coach's "villains"? Were they supposed to let him get a hit because he had cancer?

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Astro
    He was playing baseball, he got up and he struck out.... how does that make the other coach's "villains"?
    If you haven't figured that out by now then we can't tell you.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    2,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis
    If you haven't figured that out by now then we can't tell you.
    Dont get me wrong, I think it was a sad move... but if you did not want something like this to happen, then dont allow him to play.... and if something like this does happen, dont complain about it afterward, you knew what you were getting him into, and something like this should be expected

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Astro
    Dont get me wrong, I think it was a sad move... but if you did not want something like this to happen, then dont allow him to play.... and if something like this does happen, dont complain about it afterward, you knew what you were getting him into, and something like this should be expected
    It was the wrong thing to do. It's called sportsmanship. That's what little leagues should be about teaching - sportsmanship, character and fair play, not "let's win at all costs no matter who gets hurt".

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bray, Co. Wicklow, Ireland
    Posts
    828
    Quote Originally Posted by Astro
    Dont get me wrong, I think it was a sad move... but if you did not want something like this to happen, then dont allow him to play....
    If you refer to my earlier post you'll see my view on this. It just doesn't seem right to deny a 9/10 year old the right to play baseball.
    Greystones Mariners Baseball Club. The oldest baseball club in Ireland. 16 years and still going strong.

    www.greystonesbaseball.org

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •