X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill_McCurdy
    • May 2004

Happy Birthday, Max Lanier!

Max Lanier pitched 12 seasons for the Cardinals (1938-46, 1949-51). After a 2-season stint with the New York Giants (1952-53), Lanier finished the 1953 season and his MLB career as a St. Louis Brown, going 0-1 in 10 games spent mainly in relief. Lanier's career record was 108 wins, 82 losses, and an ERA of 3.01.

Max Lanier was one of the big leaguers who jumped to the Mexican League in 1947. As a result, he was temporarily banned from playing organiized ball in the United States and prevented from playing anywhere in the 1948 season. The penalty was soon removed as the threat from the Mexican League faded and MLB club desire for the recovery of lost players ended the ban on "jumpers."

August 18, 2006: Max Lanier is 91 today! At this writing, Max is the 5th oldest living former Brown.

Happy Birthday, Max Lanier!
    Last edited by Bill_McCurdy; 08-18-2006, 05:14 PM.
    "Our fans never booed us. - They wouldn't dare. - We outnumbered 'em." ... Browns Pitcher Ned Garver.
  • Bill_McCurdy
    • May 2004

This Is Bad News Day!

I just learned from Brian Walton at the Cardinal Birdhouse that we also lost Max Lanier last week. Lanier passed away last Tuesday, January 30, 2007, at the age of 91.

Here's a link to his obituary. ... http://stlcardinals.scout.com/2/616105.html

Along with the loss of Jim Pisoni yesterday, and the loss of Max from last week that many of us didn't know about, we are now down to 58 living former Browns.

God rest the souls of Max Lanier and Jim Pisoni.
    "Our fans never booed us. - They wouldn't dare. - We outnumbered 'em." ... Browns Pitcher Ned Garver.

Comment

• dave_heller
      • Jul 2004

Sorry to hear about Max ... he wrote me regarding my book on the '44 Browns (as he played for the Cardinals) ... a nice letter detailing his career. I've included it in a book I hope to have published (along with one from another ex-Brown, Roy Sievers). RIP.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X