Thread: Business of baseball forum?

Blog Entries

Business of baseball forum?

SABR has such a committee to deal with free agency, revenue sharing, the collective bargaining agreement, the draft and the like. Many of these topics cut across forum lines, and often aren't a great fit in any one forum. Would we benefit from following SABR's lead in this?

Jim Albright
    Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
    Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
    A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

161st St & River Ave (by way of Northern NJ)
    Blog Entries
    If so, would this be in its own forum or a subforum of Current Events?
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Blog Entries
    Whichever would be more suitable, IMO. Maybe a subforum is the way to start. If it gets a lot of traffic (questionable), it could be split off. If not, it's a clear home for those discussions.

Jim Albright
    Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
    Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
    A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Blog Entries
    Is there a lot of demand for this? How many are calling for a section in which they can talk about the rules of free agency?

There's not enough talk about this to warrant a separate section. I've tried to hold substantive talks on this issue but it all just ends up a bitch fest. Hardly seems a basis for a separate forum here. They are much more serious at SABR.

If you want to make a difference, the history forum has been hijacked by comparison threads.
    Last edited by Brian McKenna; 09-04-2006 at 03:14 AM.

Blog Entries
    Between free agency, draft picks, how players from abroad are brought over here (perhaps discussion of how they're treated by different countries), agent signings could all be discussed.

If someone wishes to kick it off, perhaps as a separate thread under CE. If that goes somewhere, then we can better guage how much of a demand there is.
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Blog Entries
    If you want to make a difference, the history forum has been hijacked by comparison threads.
    This is a separate topic but, you cannot hijack a forum. One can hijack a thread and it can stay hijacked if mods or others don't get back on topic. But for the most part one cannot hijack a forum.

Right now there are 27 or so threads displayed on the front page of the History Section. About 4 of them are comparison threads. With two of those threads basically dead. That isn't hijacked. But even if there were 10 or 15 or 20 that still isn't hijacked. These comparison threads do not prevent anyone from posting and talking about stuff like say "Yaz's Vat", "The EEphus pitch", nicknames, attendance, and so on. If you don't want to do comparisons then don't. If you want to talk about Ty Cobb or Honus Wagner then talk about Ty Cobb or Honus Wagner. Nothing is stopping anyone from talking about anything historical in the History section.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmckenna
    What else would anyone around there be able to talk about?
    The Cuervo Gold, the fine Columbian, make tonight a wonderful thing.

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't mind knowing what happens next season for the CBA. Since it's called the 2002-06 CBA, what happens in 2007? Do they draft a new one this winter?

Maybe a "guide" written by someone who is knowledgeble in the field is in order. In the BBFTG (Baseball-Fever Transaction Game) no one could agree on the rules for trades after the non-waiver deadline. There were two times where I thought I understood the rules for doing it. Let's just say that I still don't understand. This side of a GM's job is very unknown. I would like to know alot more about it, and have tried to learn. However, I have found so many conflicting reports on the matter around the internet that I have given up. It doesn't help that the rule book governing all of this is not open to the public.

Maybe there is an ex-GM on here (probably not), or at least someone with enough knowledge to write something like that.

I don't think that a forum, or even a sub-forum, on this issue would go on for very long. The discussion would wear itself out after a while. That's why I think a guide might be the right way to go.
    Last edited by Richmond Hill Phoenix; 09-12-2006 at 01:25 PM.

Blog Entries
    I must agree with RHP. A guide on all these rules is the best way to go.

So is anyone out there knowledgable enough to write such a guide?

I skimmed over it for a minute, and it looks very informative. I'll give it a more in-depth read when I get home.

Blog Entries
    An independent forum called The Business of Baseball might be a good idea. It really doesn't matter if a Forum gets a lot of traffic.

Pre-1900/Negro Leagues don't get their fair share, but it is important that they exist. They represent important aspects of the game, and anyone who wants to discuss them can either start a thread there, contribute to an existing one, post a photo, or be creative.

So sick to death of those criticizing the History Forum. If there is too little of the stuff you like, that is because you are not starting enough interesting threads there that you find interesting.

We have an ample menu of Classic Vintage Threads to select from. If they don't entice you, do something to entice us! I must have started over 100 threads. Lots of stuff to choose from. The menu is vast and massive.

Bill

While that blog is good, it's not quite what I was looking for. It did have some good articles though.

I will bumped this thread.

I just made a thread about this. It could do good as a subfourm of Current Events fourm. Maybe me and Mattingly could mod that fourm.

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Quote Originally Posted by King Crimson View Post
    I will bumped this thread.

I just made a thread about this. It could do good as a subfourm of Current Events fourm. Maybe me and Mattingly could mod that fourm.
    The interest is no greater now than in 2006.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin JEDI