• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DoubleX
    Just a Fool
    • Feb 2004

George Kell?

Here's a Hall of Famer we don't talk about much. How do people feel about George Kell's inclusion in the Hall of Fame (via the Veterans Committee in 1983)? I don't have much of a problem with him being in, and given some of the other players the VC has put in, he really isn't a bad choice. My problem is with the Hall of Fame representation at 3B in general. Like I said, I don't mind Kell being in so much, but I do mind him being in and guys like Santo, Boyer, Evans, Nettles, Bando, Groh, Hack, Bell, Elliot, and Cey being out.

Kell is a good borderline candidate, but at a position where there are a number of approximately equally qualified, if not superior candidates, on the outside, I don't know how I feel about Kell being in.
  • Captain Cold Nose
    OSHA-certified Moderator
    • Jan 2000

Originally posted by DoubleX
    Here's a Hall of Famer we don't talk about much. How do people feel about George Kell's inclusion in the Hall of Fame (via the Veterans Committee in 1983)? I don't have much of a problem with him being in, and given some of the other players the VC has put in, he really isn't a bad choice. My problem is with the Hall of Fame representation at 3B in general. Like I said, I don't mind Kell being in so much, but I do mind him being in and guys like Santo, Boyer, Evans, Nettles, Bando, Groh, Hack, Bell, Elliot, and Cey being out.

Kell is a good borderline candidate, but at a position where there are a number of approximately equally qualified, if not superior candidates, on the outside, I don't know how I feel about Kell being in.
    There are better third basemen than Kell not in. That it and of itself does not make him a poor choice.
    Kell's long post-playing career had to be on the mind of voters when elected. He was a scout for the Tigers as well as a longtime broadcaster, and an excellent one at that, objective and polished, certainly the best player-turned broadcaster I have ever heard.
    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

• oscargamblesfro
      • Sep 2005

Kell always struck me as sort of an inferior forerunner to say Wade Boggs in some ways. He won a batting title and led the league in things like doubles and hits a few times, some power but not a whole lot. If I remember correctly, he was regarded as a very good glove. Kell was a good, even very good player, but his career really wasn't all that long and there are as you say quite a few better 3b out of the Hall. Not the worst player in there, and one of the better 3b of his time, but still, overall, kind of a poor man's Boggs, and what you might call a 3rd level HOF'er .

Comment

• DoubleX
        Just a Fool
        • Feb 2004

Can someone make an argument of why George Kell but not Stan Hack? Their careers looks very similar. Is Kell's post-playing career, as CCN mentioned, the difference?

Comment

• Captain Cold Nose
          OSHA-certified Moderator
          • Jan 2000

Can someone make an argument of why George Kell but not Stan Hack? Their careers looks very similar. Is Kell's post-playing career, as CCN mentioned, the difference?
          It could also be a matter of who was on the committee and timing. If Kell had more direct contemporaries than Hack on the VC when he was elected that could make all the difference in the world. Which is a big problem with such a committee to begin with and may actually go toward explaining why the VC hasn't elected anyone the last couple years. Cronyism only goes so far in bigger groups.
          Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
          Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
          Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
          Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
          Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

• KCGHOST
            • Dec 2003

I always felt Kell was a dreadful selection. You have to give him an awful lot of "glove" credit to get him up to HoF status to me.

I know, 3B seems to be underrepresented in the HoF, but it is not like we have passed over some outstanding players. Hack, Santo, Rosen, Elliott, Bando, Evans, Cey, etc., are very good players but the omission of them is not a glaring over sight.
            Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

• DoubleX
              Just a Fool
              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by KCGHOST
              I always felt Kell was a dreadful selection. You have to give him an awful lot of "glove" credit to get him up to HoF status to me.

I know, 3B seems to be underrepresented in the HoF, but it is not like we have passed over some outstanding players. Hack, Santo, Rosen, Elliott, Bando, Evans, Cey, etc., are very good players but the omission of them is not a glaring over sight.
              Not even Santo? I consider Santo to be the biggest oversight of all players.

Comment

• Chadwick
                Chasing Cooperstown
                • Sep 2002

I don't know what third basemen you've been researching, but yes, some of them damn well were outstanding selections that have been passed over. Santo and Boyer ought to be on every Veterans Committee voter's ballot this year.

Kell isn't that horrible a selection, but it's too bad the voters didn't select a few more (better) third sackers before putting Kell in. Kell as a marginal selection is much more defensible than Kell as a standard bearer.
                "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
                "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
                "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

• KCGHOST
                  • Dec 2003

Not even Santo? I consider Santo to be the biggest oversight of all players.
                  He may well be the biggest oversight, other than Blyleven and some 19th century guys, but he is not by any means a great player. Like you, I support his induction but I am not confusing him with Eddie Mathews.
                  Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

• DoubleX
                    Just a Fool
                    • Feb 2004

Originally posted by KCGHOST
                    He may well be the biggest oversight, other than Blyleven and some 19th century guys, but he is not by any means a great player. Like you, I support his induction but I am not confusing him with Eddie Mathews.
                    I agree that there is a pretty big drop between the Big 4 at 3B (Schmidt, Brett, Mathews, and Boggs) and the rest, but IMO, Santo is the best of the rest, and that to me is more than good enough to be in. He's the 5th best at his position in my book, and that's well within Hall of Fame territory. I'm also a big Blyleven supporter, but I think Santo is the bigger oversight.

Comment

Prophet of Rage
                      • May 2005

Originally posted by Coop
                      I don't know what third basemen you've been researching, but yes, some of them damn well were outstanding selections that have been passed over. Santo and Boyer ought to be on every Veterans Committee voter's ballot this year.
                      I think there are far worse players than Kell in the HOF, but I wouldn't consider him a HOFer or even very close.

Sorry if this is hijacking, but what honestly is the deal with Ken Boyer? I've asked a number of people this, I don't understand what makes him so clearly deserving. Why is he better than Sal Bando? I see Boyer being a better fielder, but that's not a huge advantage, and Bando was the better hitter and significantly better there at his peak. I don't see how Boyer is extremely similar in value to Ron Santo (I see Santo being MUCH better).

Comment

• DoubleX
                        Just a Fool
                        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by 538280
                        I think there are far worse players than Kell in the HOF, but I wouldn't consider him a HOFer or even very close.

Sorry if this is hijacking, but what honestly is the deal with Ken Boyer? I've asked a number of people this, I don't understand what makes him so clearly deserving. Why is he better than Sal Bando? I see Boyer being a better fielder, but that's not a huge advantage, and Bando was the better hitter and significantly better there at his peak. I don't see how Boyer is extremely similar in value to Ron Santo (I see Santo being MUCH better).
                        Why are you so predictable? Whenever Ken Boyer gets mentioned, you have to launch your Sal Bando crusade.

Comment

Prophet of Rage
                          • May 2005

Why are you so predictable? Whenever Ken Boyer gets mentioned, you have to launch your Sal Bando crusade.
                          Because it rarely ever gets addressed. I really don't get the big deal about Ken Boyer though-and I've never seen anyone really explain to me what is so great about him convincingly.

Comment

• The Commissioner
                            Administrator
                            • Jan 2000

One thing that people forget about Kell is that he was considered to be great fielder during his own time. Had his resume been padded with a few Gold Gloves to accompany his batting stats, his Hall credentials wouldn't even be in question.

Comment

• DoubleX
                              Just a Fool
                              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by The Commissioner
                              One thing that people forget about Kell is that he was considered to be great fielder during his own time. Had his resume been padded with a few Gold Gloves to accompany his batting stats, his Hall credentials wouldn't even be in question.
                              It didn't do Buddy Bell any good (or Santo or Boyer for that matter). Unless we're talking about Brooks Robinson good and like 10 Gold Gloves, it probably wouldn't make much of a difference.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X