Thread: Jason Varitek First To Catch 1,000 Games

Jason Varitek First To Catch 1,000 Games

There was a piece in yesterday's Globe announcing that today, Boston Red Sox captain Jason Varitek will become the first Red Sox catcher to catch 1,000 games and will be honored by the team before tonight's game.
    Congratulations 'Tek! As we all saw in August, this team would be lost without you.

2007 World Series Champions
    The Boston Red Sox

That's a little nicer achievement than it first seems. Varitek becomes about the 98th instance of a catcher logging 1000 games behind the plate regardless of the number of teams he played for. Amazingly of the 16 original teams, two of them still do not have a C to log 1000 games behind the plate.
    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

I'm confused (as usual I guess). Is Varitek the FIRST to do it, or the first on the Red Sox?

Quote Originally Posted by Jager
    I'm confused (as usual I guess). Is Varitek the FIRST to do it, or the first on the Red Sox?
    First to catch 1000 games with just the Red Sox. I don't know the exact number, but my guess is that dozens of catcher have caught at least 1000 games in their careers, and quite possibly well over 100.
    Last edited by DoubleX; 09-19-2006 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleX
    First to catch 1000 games with just the Red Sox. I don't know the exact number, but my guess is that dozens of catcher have caught at least 1000 games in their careers, and quite possibly well over 100.

Why guess when you can read the post just two spots above yours??
    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Go tek!!! Heres to plenty more!

Quote Originally Posted by EvanAparra
    Go tek!!! Heres to plenty more!
    Like many things, you can look at this in two ways. Does anybody have info at their fingertips as to how many catchers have made it through 2,000 games? Can we figure he's just getting warmed up?

Quote Originally Posted by DickZ
    Like many things, you can look at this in two ways. Does anybody have info at their fingertips as to how many catchers have made it through 2,000 games? Can we figure he's just getting warmed up?
    Well, i really doubt hes just getting warmed up. I think he will still be one of the best catchers in the league for the next couple years, but after that, he would have to have Fisk-like durability to keep it up.

nice ahievement...anyone that was around druing fisk's day have a feel for whether or not tek has passed him (or is at least on the same level) in ways of "being a red sox"?

like, when you guys think of the all-time red sox catcher, do you still think fisk, or is varitek past him or tied with him?
    Gelatin Fernandalism

As something extra special, I caught ESPN's "Gamers" special report tonight and one of the players featured was Jason Varitek. I turned it on in mid coverage, so I thought they were recognizing the milestone. What a pleasant coincidence.

2007 World Series Champions
    The Boston Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by FlashGordon
    As something extra special, I caught ESPN's "Gamers" special report tonight and one of the players featured was Jason Varitek. I turned it on in mid coverage, so I thought they were recognizing the milestone. What a pleasant coincidence.
    Yeah i caught that as well. I was happy they mentioned him. And Eckstein.

It's a nice achievement. I wouldn't put it as being more spectacular than setting the all time games caught mark for the team earlier in the year.

He still has at least two more years with the team, probably about 260+ more games. I'd venture to guess that he ends his tenure at around 1270 or so games caught. I doubt anyone for a LONG, LONG, LONG time breaks Varitek's mark.
    Best posts ever:
    Quote Originally Posted by nymdan View Post
    Too... much... math... head... hurts...
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthMayBond View Post
    I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

I don't know the exact number, but looking up some stats I've found that these players have done it:

Carlton Fisk - 2226
    Bob Boone - 2225
    Gary Carter - 2056

Tony Pena - 1950
    Jim Sundberg - 1927
    Ivan Rodriguez - 1925 (and counting)
    Benito Santiago - 1917

He's past getting warmed up, he's more likely winding down. I doubt he gets to 2,000 games, seriously doubt it. He would need about 8 more years to break the mark at his current rate if he stays in Boston until his career is over, seven if he moves on to another team after three more years here(what I project him to do).

I can see him breaking 1,500 games caught, probably 1,700 if he stays injury free. I can't see him breaking 2,000 games, sorry but it ain't gonna happen.
    Best posts ever:
    Quote Originally Posted by nymdan View Post
    Too... much... math... head... hurts...
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthMayBond View Post
    I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

way to go tek! Now try for 1500!

Surprised this board is quiet regarding the Captain's imminent retirement: http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...ll-time-c-list
    "I believe in the Church of Baseball. I tried all the major religions and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I learned that, I gave Jesus a chance." ~Ron Shelton, from Bull Durham