Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Reach On Error

  1. #1

    Reach On Error

    If you reach base on an error, does that still count towards your on base percentage?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    466
    Yes, reaching base on an error is considered an "at bat". "At bats" are part of the formula for figuring obp. Therefore, errors count toward the obp.

  3. #3
    So it would also count towards your slugging percentage, correct?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    466
    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeDJW
    So it would also count towards your slugging percentage, correct?
    Correct, slugging % = singles+2xdoubles+3xtriples+4xHR's divided by at bats.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by bbjunkie
    Correct, slugging % = singles+2xdoubles+3xtriples+4xHR's divided by at bats.
    So a ROE is an at-bat, and also is considered on base, so it increases your OBP.

    Based on the formula above, it figures into the SLG%, but hurts the % since ROE is not a single/double/triple/HR.

    Do I have that right?

    Is hit by pitch treated the same way?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Freestate
    So a ROE is an at-bat, and also is considered on base, so it increases your OBP.

    Based on the formula above, it figures into the SLG%, but hurts the % since ROE is not a single/double/triple/HR.

    Do I have that right?
    No. I think the first answer that you got was a bit confusing. Reaching on error affects obp because of the AB that is charged. But ROE isn't credited as reaching base.

    The standard formula for obp is (H+BB+HBP)/(AB+BB+SF+HBP). Note that SFs are charged against the hitter but sacs are not.

    To answer your other question, hbp does help obp. You can see in the formula that hbp is in both numerator and denominator.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    466
    Quote Originally Posted by s.f.
    No. I think the first answer that you got was a bit confusing. Reaching on error affects obp because of the AB that is charged. But ROE isn't credited as reaching base.
    Right, an ROE actually lowers your obp.

    [QUOTE=Freestate]Based on the formula above, it figures into the SLG%, but hurts the % since ROE is not a single/double/triple/HR.[QUOTE]

    Right

  8. #8
    Oh, ok. I initially thought you meant ROE raised your slg% and OBP because you got on base.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •