Page 105 of 767 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155205605 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,625 of 19157

Thread: Yankee Stadium [II] Construction

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyL View Post
    Because the back of the upper desk is not a solid structure but a series of metal slats which is semi-transparent, it eliminates the dark background that the Frieze used to be set against - and one of the main reasons that the Frieze was so prominent.

I wrote a 20-page document to the Yankees and HOK in April of 2005 detailing potential improvements to the design and hightlighting things that aught not be messed with (like the Frieze). I included the following suggestion that would not only address the transparency issue, but make the stadium look even more like the original. Of course, they jumped on it . . .
    I like that upper deck facade. Looks even more like the old YS. Why aren't they going with that?

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyL View Post
    Because the back of the upper desk is not a solid structure but a series of metal slats which is semi-transparent, it eliminates the dark background that the Frieze used to be set against - and one of the main reasons that the Frieze was so prominent.

I wrote a 20-page document to the Yankees and HOK in April of 2005 detailing potential improvements to the design and hightlighting things that aught not be messed with (like the Frieze). I included the following suggestion that would not only address the transparency issue, but make the stadium look even more like the original. Of course, they jumped on it . . .
    The changes you have suggested does look great - but I do not believe it can be so easily done - they would have to redesign the support structure to handle the additional weight

I saw the new stadium in person a few weeks ago, and while the façade looks great the upper level to me looks unfinished. In my view they should have continued the façade for the upper level to meet the roof line just like the original stadium had. I could careless if the upper deck is open. This would also solve the issue of the background potentially allowing too much light in thus minimizing the frieze.

I also don’t like the restaurant in center field. They should have just created a simple grass area with a nice walk way that was graded to allow the 5 main monuments to be visible, with an ivy wall as a back drop for the batter eye.

I also would have liked the bullpens to have been located the way original stadium had them, with a low 4 foot outfield wall wrapping around the foul poles to meet the bullpens. With outfield dimensions something like lf 320, lcf 430, cf 420, rcf 380, rf 318.

One last sticking point for me; the outfield score board and video board is way too big. It should have been scaled down to look something like the old scoreboard with low bill board ads so you could see the apartments and trains beyond the outfield.

found some new photos via flickr.

looks like glass is going up on gate 4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/nabeelo...7604264450680/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nabeelo...7604264450680/

anyone have that picture of the dark blue seat that was installed in the winter?

Here is a shot of a few blue seats.

Quote Originally Posted by locke40 View Post
    Here is a shot of a few blue seats.

Thank you.

I wonder if the seats will have the interlocking NY on the side.
    Last edited by Sean Ryan; 03-27-2008 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan View Post
    Thank you.

Or the Yankee logo more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by COLTS7 View Post
    I saw the new stadium in person a few weeks ago, and while the façade looks great the upper level to me looks unfinished. In my view they should have continued the façade for the upper level to meet the roof line just like the original stadium had. I could careless if the upper deck is open. This would also solve the issue of the background potentially allowing too much light in thus minimizing the frieze.

I also don’t like the restaurant in center field. They should have just created a simple grass area with a nice walk way that was graded to allow the 5 main monuments to be visible, with an ivy wall as a back drop for the batter eye.

I also would have liked the bullpens to have been located the way original stadium had them, with a low 4 foot outfield wall wrapping around the foul poles to meet the bullpens. With outfield dimensions something like lf 320, lcf 430, cf 420, rcf 380, rf 318.

One last sticking point for me; the outfield score board and video board is way too big. It should have been scaled down to look something like the old scoreboard with low bill board ads so you could see the apartments and trains beyond the outfield.
    430 feet in left-center? How many home runs do you want to take from A-Rod? He'd be begging to get out of New York.

Quote Originally Posted by COLTS7 View Post

I believe in bringing back a death valley, but 430ft is a bit much, and 320ft and 318ft down the lines is way too much. The whole thing about Yankee Stadium was that it always had short porches down the line, a very deep LF and a somewhat shallow RF. So I think 318ftLF, 412LCF, 408CF, 385RCF, and 314RF. IMO 412ft is good because when A-Rod hits his homers they almost never just make it over that 399ft mark, it's usually pretty much gone which would mean 412ft wouldn't take away too much from his numbers.
    The 27 Time World Series Champions New York Yankees!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ryan View Post
    Thank you.

You're welcome. Yes, they will have the interlocking NY on the side, notice the lower left in this picture.

Quote Originally Posted by locke40 View Post
    You're welcome. Yes, they will have the interlocking NY on the side, notice the lower left in this picture.

Well the shade of blue is wrong, so who knows if there actually will be. But it does look like it's similar to this, in that rendering.

I would prefer it to be something like this.

or this

Last edited by Sean Ryan; 03-27-2008 at 05:29 PM.

That lower seat, is it from the Polo Grounds?

Blog Entries
    From Pete Abraham's LoHud Yankees Blog:

New medallions in place tomorrow

Got this press release from the Yankees. If you’re in the Bronx on Saturday, you’ll probably be able to see this from a reasonable distance:

NEW YORK YANKEES TO UNVEIL NEWLY RE-CREATED EAGLE MEDALLIONS FOR MAIN ENTRANCE OF NEW YANKEE STADIUM

The New York Yankees will unveil newly re-created “Eagle” medallions and lift them into place at the main entrance of the new Yankee Stadium on Saturday (3/29) at 8 a.m. A crane will be used to hoist these medallions on both sides of the recently installed gold-leafed stone “Yankee Stadium” sign. The process should be completed by noon.

The medallions, standing at 7 feet 4 inches in diameter, were re-created for the New York Yankees based on those from the original 1923 Stadium main entrance. They were modified to appear more dimensional and dynamic in an attempt to capture a more athletic spirit. The originals were removed in the 1974-1975 renovation.

Quote Originally Posted by SultanOfWhat View Post

Got this press release from the Yankees. If you’re in the Bronx on Saturday, you’ll probably be able to see this from a reasonable distance:

NEW YORK YANKEES TO UNVEIL NEWLY RE-CREATED EAGLE MEDALLIONS FOR MAIN ENTRANCE OF NEW YANKEE STADIUM

The New York Yankees will unveil newly re-created “Eagle” medallions and lift them into place at the main entrance of the new Yankee Stadium on Saturday (3/29) at 8 a.m. A crane will be used to hoist these medallions on both sides of the recently installed gold-leafed stone “Yankee Stadium” sign. The process should be completed by noon.

The medallions, standing at 7 feet 4 inches in diameter, were re-created for the New York Yankees based on those from the original 1923 Stadium main entrance. They were modified to appear more dimensional and dynamic in an attempt to capture a more athletic spirit. The originals were removed in the 1974-1975 renovation.
    just hope they're not made in canada.

Quote Originally Posted by willisraverchk77 View Post
    just hope they're not made in canada.
    why don't you want them made in Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by SultanOfWhat View Post

"They were modified to appear more dimensional and dynamic in an attempt to capture a more athletic spirit."=Crap!!

Actually I should wait to see them first before I pass Judgement.
    39 AL Pennants • 26 World Series titles
    2003 • 2001 • 2000 • 1999•1998 • 1996 •1981 • 1978 •1977 • 1976 • 1964 • 1963 •1962 • 1961 • 1960 •1958•1957 • 1956 • 1955 • 1953 • 1952 • 1951 • 1950 • 1949•1947 • 1943 • 1942 • 1941•1939 • 1938 • 1937 • 1936•1932 • 1928 • 1927 • 1926 •1923 • 1922 • 1921

1•3•4•5•7•8•8•9•10•15•16•23•32•37•42•44•49 & soon 2•6•20•21•51•42

Why am I not surprised? I'm disappointed, but not surprised.

Why move the originals over, when you'll be able to sell them for a pretty penny?

Quote Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
    Why am I not surprised? I'm disappointed, but not surprised.

Why move the originals over, when you'll be able to sell them for a pretty penny?
    How do you know that theyre the originals? are you 100% sure theyre the originals? What if theyre not the originals? What if the originals are in Cooperstown or in Mr. Steinbrenner's office?

Wait 'till they go on sale...

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjimjimz View Post
    How do you know that theyre the originals? are you 100% sure theyre the originals? What if theyre not the originals? What if the originals are in Cooperstown or in Mr. Steinbrenner's office?
    You'll find out next year, when they are sold.

(Maybe you'll buy one.)

They could also take those current emblems and place them in the restaurant or a private club at the new stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjimjimz View Post
    why don't you want them made in Canada?
    cuz canada is a homosexual country.. duhh?
    “Tomorrow, 7:05 p.m., we've got to take care of business.” - A-Rod

Quote Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
    You'll find out next year, when they are sold.

(Maybe you'll buy one.)

Is there any way you, or whoever is gonna sell them, can proove that theyre the originals? Or do you have to cut it in half and count the rings to see how old they are?

Quote Originally Posted by ben10027 View Post

That's the same country that got our people out of Iran in 1980 and risked their lives do to so.

Quote Originally Posted by ben10027 View Post
    I know a few people from Canada and while it's fun to rank on them because of it, Canadians are great people. The only difference between the US and Canada is the fact that they're 2 seperate countries, that's basically it. So I don't think that was right to write what you did and you should either apologize or edit your post.

Hope the Yanks put up pics on the website of the madallions going in today. I know that if they don't I could always get the pics right here. Can't wait to go to the Stadium next Friday. It's gonna be great seeing the 2 Stadiums side by side.
    The 27 Time World Series Champions New York Yankees!

Page 105 of 767 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155205605 ... LastLast