• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wilkerson_rulz-06
    It's good to be back
    • Aug 2005

Nationals' Managerial Candidates

Here are the candidates in order of priority (which means realistically their chances of ending up here)

1. Lou Piniella 2006: NONE
    It was mentioned on nats.com of how he'd be interested in going thru another rebuilding phrase like the Rays, strong chance here.

2.Joe Girardi 2006: FLA
    The Nationals actually called Girardi to see if he was interested, apparently he didn't return the calls yet.

3. Buck Showalter 2006: TEX
    I think he'd be good here, really, I do.

What do you guys think? I'll post more info along the way as this offseason unravels.
    Cristobal
  • Now in the Game # ...
    Lucky # 13 Alex Rodriguez
    • Oct 2006

1: Dusty Baker
    2: Buck Showalter
    3: Joe Girardi

Comment

• Peorgie T
      Sec. 113
      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by wilkerson_rulz-06
      Here are the candidates in order of priority (which means realistically their chances of ending up here)

It was mentioned on nats.com of how he'd be interested in going thru another rebuilding phrase like the Rays, strong chance here.
      The rumors are swirling in NY that Piniella will replace Torre. Mind you that they are just rumors, but it doesn't seem implausable. If Lou goes back to the Yankees, my bet is that they take a gamble on Pendleton. I'm not sure if I'd want Baker; the knock on him is that he burns out young arms, which is the last thing the Nats need.

Comment

• EvanAparra
        Team Veteran
        • Mar 2006

2.Joe Girardi 2006: FLA
        The Nationals actually called Girardi to see if he was interested, apparently he didn't return the calls yet.

3. Buck Showalter 2006: TEX
        I think he'd be good here, really, I do.

What do you guys think? I'll post more info along the way as this offseason unravels.
        Im tired of all these rumors about all the big name managers going to DC!

Comment

• wilkerson_rulz-06
          It's good to be back
          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by EvanAparra
          Im tired of all these rumors about all the big name managers going to DC!
          Ya, sure you are
          Cristobal

Comment

• TheKingofKings
            KJ
            • Jan 2006

If Torre is canned by the Yanks , he should be the numero uno candidate in WAS and could lead them to the Postseason if he is hired .

Comment

• Peorgie T
              Sec. 113
              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by TheKingofKings
              If Torre is canned by the Yanks , he should be the numero uno candidate in WAS and could lead them to the Postseason if he is hired .
              What position will he play?

Comment

• Knick9
                the # of teams are down
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Peorgie T
                What position will he play?
                Shortstop?

Actually, if Torre is out of the Bronx, I can see him going to either Chicago or Washington. San Fran? Not so much, I think he's more of an east coast guy.
                My Top 4 funniest BBF posts ever:

1) "plZ dOn;t' pOsT LikE tHIs n e mOr!"

2) "The teams play 1962 games in 180 days."

3) "Stadiums don't move silly, people do."

4) "Once again you quibble, because it is I who speaks."

5) Almost anything RuthMayBond says...

Comment

• wilkerson_rulz-06
                  It's good to be back
                  • Aug 2005

Remember, Torre was a mediocre manager before joining the Yankees.

The Yankees made him an overrated manager, he's not as great as he seems.
                  Cristobal

Comment

• Peorgie T
                    Sec. 113
                    • Nov 2004

Remember, Torre was a mediocre manager before joining the Yankees.

The Yankees made him an overrated manager, he's not as great as he seems.
                    I don't know if he's overrated so much as he's just wrong for the Nats. Torre did a good job managing a team where money was no object and most players were picked up as FAs to fill in a hole rather than coming up through the minors. Whoever gets the Nats job had better be skilled at handling young players, because that's what they'll have to work with for the foreseeable future.

Comment

• Peorgie T
                      Sec. 113
                      • Nov 2004

Today, the Yankees said Torre's staying. Also, Piniella says he doesn't want the Nationals job.

Comment

• wilkerson_rulz-06
                        It's good to be back
                        • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Peorgie T
                        Today, the Yankees said Torre's staying. Also, Piniella says he doesn't want the Nationals job.
                        Good for Lou, he already went through a horrific stay in TB, why go through it again? And he's right, that younger manager will be Joe Girardi.

What do you guys think of Buck Showalter?
                        Cristobal

Comment

• KingJ
                          Western fan of the East
                          • Jun 2005

Buck is ok. I want a manager that can deal with young players like we have around our roster. If Buck can do it, then by all means bring him.

That's why I didn't want Piniella. He ruined a lot of the D'Rays' top prospects with his awful treatment of them whenever they screwed up.
                          The Q: Can the Cubs hold a 6-5 lead with 2 outs and nobody on in the 9th?

The A: No

***********My Rant on Bud Selig***********
                          Selig is like a stray pigeon. Pigeons are too self-absorbed to care about anyone else. They poo on people they don't like; they poo on people they don't even know. The only real difference between Selig and a pigeon is that Selig intends to bury our heritage, our traditions, and our culture,

Comment

• Peorgie T
                            Sec. 113
                            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by KingJ
                            Buck is ok. I want a manager that can deal with young players like we have around our roster. If Buck can do it, then by all means bring him.

That's why I didn't want Piniella. He ruined a lot of the D'Rays' top prospects with his awful treatment of them whenever they screwed up.
                            Now that Pena's throwing his hat in the ring, I wouldn't be surprised if he's the man. He has actual MLB experience as a manager, and Bowden knows him from when he worked in Pittsburgh. He wanted him as a coach last year, but the Yankees beat him to it.

Comment

• dmbfan
                              • Sep 2006

Not sure if anyone saw this on MLB.com but I thought I would post it here:

The official website of the Washington Nationals with the most up-to-date information on scores, schedule, stats, tickets, and team news.

Seems as thought the Nats are looking to hire someone with no or very little managerial experience, which may turn out to be a good thing. Personally, I would like to see them hire someone from within the organization. I just believe that this shows a commitment to building a franchise from within. But, I personally feel that Girardi would be a good fit for the direction that the Nationals are heading. And, I am partial to Manny Acta, because I am a Mets fan and because I feel that he would be an excellent manager, who the players seem to respect and respond well to.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X