X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zagi-CRO
    • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Go Gomes
    Oh no not another stat are everything guy....h hahaha but hey, I'm not an advocate of looking at a sheet of paper and using that to determine the winner of a ball game.
    Ok, you have right but how can you determine the winner... looking in the sky rather then at sheet of paper?
    The Voice of Croatia - Glas Hrvatske

Comment

• trosmok
      Veracious Member
      • Jan 2000

Even Steven

This is going to be a really good series, and if my keen eye for intangibles holds true (stats only prove their own existence, nothing more), it is going to be decided in the last at bat in game seven. The A's pitching shut down the Twins potent offense, the Tigers pitching blanked the formidable Yankees. Advantage: neither.

During the regular season, the Tigers beat the A's 5 games to 4, but outscored them 52 to 39. Advantage: slight edge to the Tigers.

Comeback Player of the year Frank Thomas can turn a game around with one swing of the bat, and has the ability to provide the clutch punch when it is needed most. The Tigers sluggers (Mags and Monroe) are good, but not quite the same as a Big Hurt in the lineup. Advantage: slight edge to the A's.

The role players on both teams are top notch, the bullpens are as deep, strong, and as evenly matched as any, team defense hasn't been a problem for either team so far in the post-season. Advantage: neither

Finally, my accurate prediction of the Tigers prevailing over the Bombers was hinged on the real MVP Rodriguez; Ivan, that is. He is the best receiver in the game in terms of dealing with talented young arms, his leadership ability is akin to another coach on the field, and he was a big time winner in '03. No knock against Jason Kendall, the guy is fantastic in my opinion, but the Tigers are going to win it in seven, and Ivan Rodriguez is going to be a huge part of the pennant winning Detroit team. Restore the roar!:gt
      Baseball is a ballet without music. Drama without words ~Ernie Harwell

Comment

• tigers527
        90% mental 1/2 Physical
        • Apr 2006

Here is my predictions from the Oakland A's forum....

Game 1 Robertson v Zito....this match up might get dumped in favor of the sexier Verlander v Zito match up... I hope not, as I think this might be folley for the Tigers. Although, it would leave Verlander as a possibility for relief in the game 7, that could happen (I guess he'd be there either way). If this match up stays as stands, look for Robertson to make ammends for the poor Yankee start, especially against the weaker A's line up. Although, it might not be enough to keep Zito from earning an extra 3-5 million from the Yanks, or which other big spender is out there. Zito is filthy, but the Tigers have done well against lefties. Since the Tigers only have to deal with one "real" threat, Thomas....I would hope the IBB is a big part of dealing with him, as pitching around him is not necessarily all that good. He seems to pick a pitch and a location and beat the heck out of it. If Robertson can keep it close through the 6th, I would hope Zumaya, Jones, Walker, and whoever can shut down your line up. And the Tiger bats can make the comeback....prediction Tigers 3 A's 2 (best case senerio)....likely A's 5 Tigers 2......series A's 1-0

Game 2 Verlander v Harden....Now that one is a sexy match up...Maybe it will be a Morris v Smoltz type game....But since they are both younger, one of them is going to falter. Early on, if Verlanders' knuckle curve is working, look out as it won't be him scuffleing. This one can go either way, give Justins fastball a chance to go through shadows (besides he's much better in day games) however, and it is over. Depending on the timing of the game, you might see Rogers (he is 24-5 lifetime in Oakland)....especially, if Verlander starts game one....prediction Tigers 4 A's 2 especially if Rogers pitches....series tied 1-1.

Game 3 Rogers v Loaiza...This one could go poorly for the Tigers. Loaiza seemed to do well against them in the WhiteSox days...but that was a while ago (when most pitchers did well against the Tigers). Without mix up of the pitchers....Rogers gets this one, he showed me alot friday night (still watch for a close pitch not called, or a play not going for Kenny....and impending melt down). Again lower scoring though, is my thought....Tigers 3 A's 1...series Tigers 2-1.

Game 4 Bonderman v Haren/Zito...This is were the not having a "number 1" starter, pays off. With 4 "number 2" 's (maybe 2.5 through 3 in regards to Robertson) and the weaker MLB line up your guys have offensively, by the numbers, I would think Bonderman makes some hay, with your guys. Not going finesse like he did with the Yanks but showing the Ks, over 200 in the regular season. However, if it turns to the Zito v Bonderman, now that could be a game...Without that happening, although I think it will if the Tigers are indeed up 2-1 in the series....The Tigers should win against Haren, and possibly Zito. Haren 7-3 Tigers, Zito 4-2 Tigers, either way....series Tigers 3-1

Game 5 Robertson v Harden (as Zito likely went the night before)....This one scares me. But Robertson is a "bulldog", and I hope he can keep up with the 2 quality starters (Zito and Harden) he would match up with in both games, he started in. He is much the same as Rogers...if a play or a call goes against him, it does seem to bother him. Lets say, Robertson does not get it done....Tigers 3 A's 6.....series Tigers 3-2

Game 6 Verlander v Harden/Loaiza....Verlander is going to deal, and I would imagine so is Harden or Laoiza...this one makes or breaks the series....D'uh....Depending on the match up I think the Tigers depth overcomes the A's......Frank Thomas and Magglio Ordonez hug and the Tigers win the series 4-2.

Offensive keys...while Thomas might have his moments, I predict Nick Swisher to be the fellow for us Tiger rooters, to look out for. As in the last series, Carlos Guillen is one to watch (he bested Jeter in the last series), as well, I have a feeling that Magglio Ordonez is also someone to watch for.

I am not sure why I picked Swisher...(he's 0-11 lifetime against the Tigers?)....Maybe it is cause he looks like an extra from the Pirates of the Caribean?

Comment

• Hammerin Hank
          Slave to the Game
          • Aug 2002

I'll go out on a limb and say Oakland in five.:gt
          2016 World Series Champions

Comment

• Rose4theHall
            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by tigers527
            Here is my predictions from the Oakland A's forum....

Game 1 Robertson v Zito....this match up might get dumped in favor of the sexier Verlander v Zito match up... I hope not, as I think this might be folley for the Tigers. Although, it would leave Verlander as a possibility for relief in the game 7, that could happen (I guess he'd be there either way). If this match up stays as stands, look for Robertson to make ammends for the poor Yankee start, especially against the weaker A's line up. Although, it might not be enough to keep Zito from earning an extra 3-5 million from the Yanks, or which other big spender is out there. Zito is filthy, but the Tigers have done well against lefties. Since the Tigers only have to deal with one "real" threat, Thomas....I would hope the IBB is a big part of dealing with him, as pitching around him is not necessarily all that good. He seems to pick a pitch and a location and beat the heck out of it. If Robertson can keep it close through the 6th, I would hope Zumaya, Jones, Walker, and whoever can shut down your line up. And the Tiger bats can make the comeback....prediction Tigers 3 A's 2 (best case senerio)....likely A's 5 Tigers 2......series A's 1-0

Game 2 Verlander v Harden....Now that one is a sexy match up...Maybe it will be a Morris v Smoltz type game....But since they are both younger, one of them is going to falter. Early on, if Verlanders' knuckle curve is working, look out as it won't be him scuffleing. This one can go either way, give Justins fastball a chance to go through shadows (besides he's much better in day games) however, and it is over. Depending on the timing of the game, you might see Rogers (he is 24-5 lifetime in Oakland)....especially, if Verlander starts game one....prediction Tigers 4 A's 2 especially if Rogers pitches....series tied 1-1.

Game 3 Rogers v Loaiza...This one could go poorly for the Tigers. Loaiza seemed to do well against them in the WhiteSox days...but that was a while ago (when most pitchers did well against the Tigers). Without mix up of the pitchers....Rogers gets this one, he showed me alot friday night (still watch for a close pitch not called, or a play not going for Kenny....and impending melt down). Again lower scoring though, is my thought....Tigers 3 A's 1...series Tigers 2-1.

Game 4 Bonderman v Haren/Zito...This is were the not having a "number 1" starter, pays off. With 4 "number 2" 's (maybe 2.5 through 3 in regards to Robertson) and the weaker MLB line up your guys have offensively, by the numbers, I would think Bonderman makes some hay, with your guys. Not going finesse like he did with the Yanks but showing the Ks, over 200 in the regular season. However, if it turns to the Zito v Bonderman, now that could be a game...Without that happening, although I think it will if the Tigers are indeed up 2-1 in the series....The Tigers should win against Haren, and possibly Zito. Haren 7-3 Tigers, Zito 4-2 Tigers, either way....series Tigers 3-1

Game 5 Robertson v Harden (as Zito likely went the night before)....This one scares me. But Robertson is a "bulldog", and I hope he can keep up with the 2 quality starters (Zito and Harden) he would match up with in both games, he started in. He is much the same as Rogers...if a play or a call goes against him, it does seem to bother him. Lets say, Robertson does not get it done....Tigers 3 A's 6.....series Tigers 3-2

Game 6 Verlander v Harden/Loaiza....Verlander is going to deal, and I would imagine so is Harden or Laoiza...this one makes or breaks the series....D'uh....Depending on the match up I think the Tigers depth overcomes the A's......Frank Thomas and Magglio Ordonez hug and the Tigers win the series 4-2.

Offensive keys...while Thomas might have his moments, I predict Nick Swisher to be the fellow for us Tiger rooters, to look out for. As in the last series, Carlos Guillen is one to watch (he bested Jeter in the last series), as well, I have a feeling that Magglio Ordonez is also someone to watch for.

I am not sure why I picked Swisher...(he's 0-11 lifetime against the Tigers?)....Maybe it is cause he looks like an extra from the Pirates of the Caribean?
            Loaiza is going in game 2. Its undecided with Haren/Harden for games 3 and 4. Harden will only be going in game 4 and will more than likely not pitch very well (hasnt pitched since oct 1 and had a bad stimulated game yesterday). Sorry to rain on your parade bro.

Comment

• mtortolero
              SaberVenezuelan
              • May 2006

A´s starters, who throws a lot of breaking pitchs, are not a good fit for those free swingers Tigers bats who loves to be agressive at the plate. If they have poor discipline to take adavntage of Zito wilderness then will falling in the same trap as Twins did.
              Verlander and Bonderman are fastballers who depends that opposite hitters does not go deep in the count (which was one of the problems with Yankees bats), but these A´s guys likes a lot do that (as they did it with Santana). If Detroit bullpen have a great workload in the first two games, one of the middle schedule games will be for the A´s. Probably the real difference could be that experience behind Leyland is a higher than Gardenhire.
              Last edited by mtortolero; 10-10-2006, 02:33 PM.
              You have to suffer a revolution to know what are you talking about.

Comment

• tigers527
                90% mental 1/2 Physical
                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Rose4theHall
                Loaiza is going in game 2. Its undecided with Haren/Harden for games 3 and 4. Harden will only be going in game 4 and will more than likely not pitch very well (hasnt pitched since oct 1 and had a bad stimulated game yesterday). Sorry to rain on your parade bro.
                I had thought both rotations would of been juggled a little....I was surprised to hear Leyland was keeping the same rotation. Especially, considering Kenny Rogers record in Oakland, which is sick...but no, he is going to start game 3 in Detroit. I heard today that the A's are going with Harden for game 3....And it's ok...most of the thoughts had to do with the individual guys and not the overall matchup. I also found that Swisher has indeed already hit the Tigers pretty well, unlike what I thought I heard, maybe it was Scooteroh (sp?) who went 0-11?

Comment

• Knick9
                  the # of teams are down
                  • Feb 2005

Zito is now out of the game. He got through the first 8 batters, but along came Brandon Inge with a big shot.

It's 5-0 Tigers in the 4th.
                  My Top 4 funniest BBF posts ever:

1) "plZ dOn;t' pOsT LikE tHIs n e mOr!"

2) "The teams play 1962 games in 180 days."

3) "Stadiums don't move silly, people do."

4) "Once again you quibble, because it is I who speaks."

5) Almost anything RuthMayBond says...

Comment

• Say Hey
                    Baseball Wizard
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Knick9
                    Zito is now out of the game. He got through the first 8 batters, but along came Brandon Inge with a big shot.

It's 5-0 Tigers in the 4th.
                    WOOOOOOOOO! :gt
                    SOCK IT TO 'EM TIGERS

Comment

• DownUnderDodger
                      Learning all the time.
                      • Aug 2002

Zito zapped - I hope the A's can take advantage of the current situ - oops, Chavez struck out, as did Swisher. C'mon guys, get some runners home - I would hate to see a blow out.
                      "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Comment

• hudsonharden
                        Athletics co-Moderator
                        • Sep 2003

Too many double plays, too many squandered opportunities. Gotta get some runs quick guys before its too late.
                        sigpic
                        Trusted Traders: MadHatter, card-closure-man, duckydps, Rockhound, huberfan, AutographCollector, bravesautographs, CardinalMike

My Wantlist/Tradelist

Check out my eBay auctions, username hudsonharden

Comment

• Zito75
                          A's Super Moderator
                          • Jun 2003

Originally posted by hudsonharden
                          Too many double plays, too many squandered opportunities. Gotta get some runs quick guys before its too late.
                          Too many K's, and Zito looked terribly off balance. Good thing we have more games left to make this one up.
                          WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Comment

• Knick9
                            the # of teams are down
                            • Feb 2005

Sean Casey got down limping after swinging. It's the calf I think. I hope he's alright.

The A's have been flat for this game. My opinion? Too many double plays and K's. The team plays station to station on the basepaths, so you'll have those double plays sneaked in there.

There is more baseball to go, though. Zumaya might be coming in. 5-0 Tigers in the 7th.
                            My Top 4 funniest BBF posts ever:

1) "plZ dOn;t' pOsT LikE tHIs n e mOr!"

2) "The teams play 1962 games in 180 days."

3) "Stadiums don't move silly, people do."

4) "Once again you quibble, because it is I who speaks."

5) Almost anything RuthMayBond says...

Comment

• Zito75
                              A's Super Moderator
                              • Jun 2003

Pretty ugly game for the A's... I have to give the Tigs credit, they brought it tonight. Frankly, I think I had more fun scooping a dead mouse out of my pool than watching the last 3 innings of tonights game.
                              WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Comment

• hudsonharden
                                Athletics co-Moderator
                                • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Zito75
                                Pretty ugly game for the A's... I have to give the Tigs credit, they brought it tonight. Frankly, I think I had more fun scooping a dead mouse out of my pool than watching the last 3 innings of tonights game.
                                At least you have a pool to retreat to after this loss. All I've got is a dorm room. Luckily, my Yankee-fan roommates are sympathetic as they have recently experience the wrath of the Tigers.

This series ain't over yet, but Oaktown has got to step it up.
                                sigpic
                                Trusted Traders: MadHatter, card-closure-man, duckydps, Rockhound, huberfan, AutographCollector, bravesautographs, CardinalMike

My Wantlist/Tradelist

Check out my eBay auctions, username hudsonharden

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X