Thread: No At-Bats & A Perfect OBP Club!

Exclamation No At-Bats & A Perfect OBP Club!

Hello Baseball Fans,

An alert visitor to Baseball Almanac noticed that on Eddie Gaedel's career stats I had his on-base percentage as .000. Gaedel did not have a career at-bat, but he did walk once so his career OBP should have been 1.000. A division by zero loop was in place to prevent problems and inadvertently became the problem! It was immediately modified to fix this critical error.

It did make me wonder though how many players have had no career at-bats, and at least one walk. Without further delay I present the "0 At Bat / 1+ Walk / 1.000 OBP Club"! The list is presented in alphabetical order with those having more than one career walk in bold...

Name Games-At-Bats-Walks

01 Honey Barnes 1-0-1
    02 Bill Batsch 1-0-1
    03 Jim Brady 6-0-1
    04 Farmer Burns 1-0-1
    05 Joe Cobb 1-0-1
    06 Tom Davey 48-0-1
    07 Mike Duvall 9-0-1
    08 Slim Embrey 1-0-1
    09 Van Fletcher 9-0-1
    10 Eddie Gaedel 1-0-1
    11 Bob Gebhard 13-0-1
    12 Ed Hug 1-0-1
    13 Keith Johns 2-0-1
    14 Matt Karchner 12-0-1
    15 Unknown Leonard 1-0-1
    16 Hersch Lyons 1-0-1
    17 Jose Mesa 104-0-1
    18 Ernie Ovitz 1-0-1
    19 Jose Parra 69-0-2
    20 Charlie Pickett 2-0-1
    21 Earl Pruess 1-0-1
    22 Ernie Rudolph 7-0-2
    23 Dutch Schirick 1-0-1
    24 Con Starkel 1-0-1
    25 Will Thompson 1-0-1
    26 Huck Wallace 4-0-1
    27 Bryan Ward 20-0-1
    28 Bob Wells 13-0-1
    29 Bert Yeabsley 3-0-1

Hope you enjoyed this unique list!

Sean

Sean, fascinating list! I wonder if any guys with no at-bats ever reached base by any other means besides BBs: HBP, etc. (Gee, how many ways can one reach base with no at-bats besides BBs and HBPs? Catcher interference? Balk after 3 balls?)

I just realized another interesting statistic: most plate appearances, no at-bats? It may be Parra and Rudolph (2 plate appearances each).

I thought Estaban Yan was part of this club...

Exclamation

does a walk count as a plate appearance?

thanx alot, sean.

(note: a balk occurring on a three-ball count is recorded as a bases on balls. otherwise, the "pitch" is recorded as neither a ball nor a strike.)
    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Quote Originally Posted by nrm857
    does a walk count as a plate appearance?
    No, a walk does not count as an at-bat.
    "He can get 10 hits in five at-bats." -Joe Torre, exasperated after seeing Ichiro hit a routine ground ball to shortstop and cross first with an infield single.

You didn't answer the question. A walk is a plate APPEARANCE
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

What would be cool is no at-bats, but a walk with the bases loaded. An RBI without an at-bat.

The closest I can get you is Earl Howard
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

...and Paul Maloy
    Dave Kent

There are 34 players with 0 career AB and >0 career R. Most of these have been pinch-runners.

players with 0AB and 4+ Runs:
    Herb Washington: 33
    Ron Guidry: 4
    Eddie Phillips: 4

Players with 0 AB and 1 run, but >0 PA:
    Slim Embrey
    Charlie Pickett
    Bob Wells
    Jim Brady
    Con Starkel
    Earl Pruess
    Jose Mesa
    Framer Burns

Adam Greenberg got on base in his only plate appearence by getting hit in the head with the first pitch.
    "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
    -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
    -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Quote Originally Posted by west coast orange and black
    (note: a balk occurring on a three-ball count is recorded as a bases on balls. otherwise, the "pitch" is recorded as neither a ball nor a strike.)
    Not necessarily true. A balk would count as a base on balls if only the play proceeds ans the balk is ignored as per 8.05 Pen. If a runner is on second and the pitcher balks on a 3-0 count, unless the batter hits the ball and he reaches first base and the runner reaches the next base (in that case the balk is also ignored), the runner would advance to third on the balk and the batter remains at the plate with a 3-0 count. A balk is "no pitch" in most circumstances.

However, if the runner is at first on a 3-0 count and the pitcher balks AND the pitch comes though and is a ball, then the batter is awarded first base on the walk and the runner is forced to advance as per 8.05 Pen.

Here it is straight from the book:

PENALTY:
    The ball is dead, and each runner shall advance one base without liability to be put out, unless the batter reaches first on a hit, an error, a base on balls, a hit batter, or otherwise, and all other runners advance at least one base, in which case the play proceeds without reference to the balk.

I noticed on Jose Parra's hitting stats that he has 2 sacrifices to go along with his 2 walks in 4 plate appearances. Wouldn't this make his OBP .500 instead of 1.000?

No. Sacrifice Flies lower your OBP, sacrificies do not count in the formula.

Quote Originally Posted by reddog7712
    What would be cool is no at-bats, but a walk with the bases loaded. An RBI without an at-bat.
    Jesse Baker is credited with an RBI bu no ABs. His line doesn't show a walk or SF (before SF's were recorded), so there is obviously something missing here.

A few players have had a 1.000 OBP without an official at-bat over the course of a season and are credited with an RBI. the last to do it wat Randy Myers in 1995.

Here's some more scoring trivia: You've got a hit streak going. You walk (or get HP) each time up, streak still alive. Throw in a sac fly--streak over. Which is entirely consistent with the attitude about sac flies in the OBP rule: We'll give you a break in your BA, but you and I both know that, with a fly ball, you were going for a hit!

Quote Originally Posted by Cubsfan97
    Adam Greenberg got on base in his only plate appearence by getting hit in the head with the first pitch.
    I still remember that. He got called up to the Cubs with Matt Murton and I remember Kasper interviewing him and Murton after they both got called up. And then, in his first plate appearance, on the first pitch, he got hit right in the head and never saw the majors since. Murton, however, has become a pretty good player for the Cubs.

Quote Originally Posted by west coast orange and black View Post
    thanx alot, sean.

No, a balk on a three ball count is only a walk if....

A - the pitch is still thrown and is called a ball.
    B - all runners must advance a base on the walk.

So if a three ball pitch is a balk, and the pitch is thrown, but there is only a runner on 2B, it is not a walk, the balk is enforced because the runner would not advance a base on the walk.
    Last edited by SavoyBG; 02-11-2013 at 10:07 AM.

Jason Standridge needs to be added to this list as well. He also had a caught stealing, did this happen to any other player on the list?
    "Heck, all I got was a $100 check. I should have kept it and framed it, but I had to eat".

Infielder Bob Hegman, when asked if he received a World Series ring for playing one inning of one game with the World
    Champion 1985 Kansas City Royals.