Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: LOOKING FOR DATA? Before asking your question, go here first. CHANCES ARE IT IS HERE

[I moved the question here from one of Matt's threads[

Hopefully, this question is not overly mundane, but I'm trying to find the percentage of runners who score from first on a single. I'd be happy if I can find this stat by year, or for any particular year, or averaged over seasons.

Thanks!

RB
    Last edited by reviewboy; 08-26-2008 at 06:39 PM.

Blog Entries
    You can do it manually by downloading the files from Retrosheet and setting up a database. Another way to do it is to go to BRef PI and go to Team Batting Event and select singles. Then pick all base events with a runner on first. Doing it that way one finds out that in 2006 the runners on first scored 3 times out of 346 singles for the Blue Jays.

Thank you, Mr U, for the quick reply.

I have been using Baseball Reference a bit, but obviously I don't have a clue as to all of the information that one can extract from it.

I'm having a little trouble following your instructions. I'm at:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi...t=20&out_type=

and I've selected '2006', 'Jays', and 'singles' in the yellow 'Select a year or a different event type:' field, but I don't see how to select those base events with runners on first.

It's probably right in front of me and I'm not seeing it. Could you give me a nudge in the right direction, please?

Thanks again!

RB

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiquitous View Post
    You can do it manually by downloading the files from Retrosheet and setting up a database. Another way to do it is to go to BRef PI and go to Team Batting Event and select singles. Then pick all base events with a runner on first. Doing it that way one finds out that in 2006 the runners on first scored 3 times out of 346 singles for the Blue Jays.

Blog Entries
    After selecting year, team, and event and selecting get report boxes will appear. One of those boxes is labeled bases. Those boxes are filter selections. Under bases there are first base combos, 1--, 1,2-, 1-3, and 1,2,3. Select 1-- and then get report will filter all the singles with just a runner on first. Then drop first base and select get report to go back to original singles report. From there select another base scenario, repeat and rinse as many times as desired.

I don't see the boxes labeled bases (see attached graphic). Maybe I have to be a subscriber to see them.

Anyhow, you answered my initial question.

In case you are curious, I want this stat because I'm a gamer and the primary (board) game I play doesn't allow for a runner on 1st to score on a single. I think I know how to tweak the game engine to fix that, now that I have the stat, thanks to you.

You also showed me the PI section of B-R, which I had never seen before.

Speaking of which, if there is a tutorial or Dummies Guide to Baseball Reference, I'd appreciate a pointer. I have to admit that I'm not very adept at using this powerful web site.

Muchas gracias,

RB
    Last edited by reviewboy; 08-27-2008 at 08:10 AM. Reason: for conciseness

Blog Entries
    You are not a subscriver of PI. I pay-product.

I suspect that this might be a paid-for stat.

Thanks.

RB

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiquitous View Post
    You are not a subscriver of PI. I pay-product.

Easy question

Is there a site on the internet that I can find the leaders of MLB career stats based on position?

For example, who hit the most home runs at Center Field? Who had the most base hits while playing catcher?

Quote Originally Posted by micsmith View Post
    Is there a site on the internet that I can find the leaders of MLB career stats based on position?

For example, who hit the most home runs at Center Field? Who had the most base hits while playing catcher?
    You can queries like this at the PI at baseball-reference dot com. For example a quick query shows that Willie Mays hit the most career HRs as a CFer (90% games played at CF to qualify in my query). Most hits as a catcher, I am getting Pudge with 2601 (same qualifications). You can fine tune your own queries. Problem is they charge $29 per year to see the full lists. You can see part of the list and do simple queries for free, but to do the good stuff you need a membership, which I fully recommend.
    vr, Xei
    Author of Fantasy Baseball Mock Draft Software.
    http://www.fantasyinfocentral.com/ml...ware/index.php

Author of DodgerSims Blog
    http://DodgerSims.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by micsmith View Post

For example, who hit the most home runs at Center Field?
    See if these work

http://www.bb-ref.com/pi/shareit/bZxp

<Who had the most base hits while playing catcher?>

http://www.bb-ref.com/pi/shareit/7nbc
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Pitchers "defensive" SB allowed/CS

Anyone know where I could find this data? Thanks!
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AstrosFan View Post
    Thanks, I should have been more specific. Do you have that by career rather than single season?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AstrosFan View Post
    You DA MAN!!!

See: "Questions? Baseball Reference is the Answer" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by SABR Matt View Post
    See: "Questions? Baseball Reference is the Answer" thread.
    I'm looking, it must be buried deep

THe answer to that specific question wasn't in the thread...but the answer to ANY question you have about locating data is "look around at B-Ref and you'll probably find it!"

Quote Originally Posted by SABR Matt View Post
    THe answer to that specific question wasn't in the thread...but the answer to ANY question you have about locating data is "look around at B-Ref and you'll probably find it!"
    The answer to your answer is, I did, it's not readily apparent, but AstrosFan had some NICE magic he did

Baseball Databank has SB and CS for both pitchers and catchers in their Fielding Tables from 1956 onwards. You can download the Baseball Databank from here:

http://www.baseball-databank.org/

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast