• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • raysnbran
    Clubhouse Lawyer
    • Jan 2005

Rays offseason moves

This thread will be for all Rays fans and visitors to post updates and comments on any signings done to improve this team. Two signings this week were the re-signing of SP Jae Seo to a deal for $900K, and a late re-signing last night of DH-1B Greg Norton. Seo was 1-8 for the Rays after being traded here from LA but was a bit of a hard luck pitcher in terms of run support. He gave the Rays a chance to win in most games, and like a lot of our SPs, the bullpen would give it away. If the bullpen gets some upgrades, half those L's could turn into W's. Norton was a steady vet who put up decent numbers as his playing time increased. He even ended up being the AL Player of the Week for the last week of the regular season. He is a good utility guy who has some nice pop in his bat and a steady veteran presence in a clubhouse of a lot of young guys.

Not earthshattering signings but the kind the Rays have to make and can afford. Next we need to re-sign Wigginton before he hits the open market.
    Please visit http://sportsfeedia.com/ for the latest RSS feed updates on all your favorite sports and teams (my son created it and is the owner )
  • Eddiey
    • May 2005

Originally posted by raysnbran
    This thread will be for all Rays fans and visitors to post updates and comments on any signings done to improve this team. Two signings this week were the re-signing of SP Jae Seo to a deal for $900K, and a late re-signing last night of DH-1B Greg Norton. Seo was 1-8 for the Rays after being traded here from LA but was a bit of a hard luck pitcher in terms of run support. He gave the Rays a chance to win in most games, and like a lot of our SPs, the bullpen would give it away. If the bullpen gets some upgrades, half those L's could turn into W's. Norton was a steady vet who put up decent numbers as his playing time increased. He even ended up being the AL Player of the Week for the last week of the regular season. He is a good utility guy who has some nice pop in his bat and a steady veteran presence in a clubhouse of a lot of young guys.

Not earthshattering signings but the kind the Rays have to make and can afford. Next we need to re-sign Wigginton before he hits the open market.
    At 1.2 million Seo is worth taking a shot on. He has good stuff but seems
    to lack confidence. He is another guy with potential, but at 29 years old,
    his time running out.
    I like Greg Norton alot. He is a top notch utility guy for sure. I also see him
    as a possible starter at 1b next year if no one better can be found.
    Wiggington had a great year. I'm sure other teams noticed so the Rays may need to pony up a few bucks to resign him.
    Last edited by Eddiey; 10-15-2006, 06:04 PM.
    A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz. ~Humphrey Bogart

Comment

• brooklynboy
      Amazin!! Simply Amazin
      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Eddiey
      At 1.2 million Seo is worth taking a shot on. He has good stuff but seems
      to lack confidence. He is another guy with potential, but at 29 years old,
      his time running out.
      I like Greg Norton alot. He is a top notch utility guy for sure. I also see him
      as a possible starter at 1b next year if no one better can be found.
      Wiggington had a great year. I'm sure other teams noticed so the Rays may need to pony up a few bucks to resign him.

Wigginton is gone.. D'Rays will never spend the money..Besides we have all those hot prospects..

North of the Big Apple but missing Central Fla :atthepc

Comment

• SDL
        Who the hell is Stan Papi
        • Sep 2006

Jeff Ridgway

Looks like he impressed people with his work in Havana for USA Baseball at the COPABE Olympic Qualifier.

Four appearances, 2.2 innings, 0-0 0.00, allowing three hits and twow alks but fanning five.

Glad to see he's on the 40 man...kid deserves it.
        sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

• raysnbran
          Clubhouse Lawyer
          • Jan 2005

Ridgway

And Kevin Witt gets waived. He was the IL MVP but a bust again when called back up to the majors. If he clears waivers, hopefully he re-signs again with Durham. He was a popular player down there and they would love to see him back. Don't know much about Ridgway, but pitching is the only way this team will improve enough to compete with the teams in our division...
          Please visit http://sportsfeedia.com/ for the latest RSS feed updates on all your favorite sports and teams (my son created it and is the owner )

Comment

• SDL
            Who the hell is Stan Papi
            • Sep 2006

And Kevin Witt gets waived. He was the IL MVP but a bust again when called back up to the majors. If he clears waivers, hopefully he re-signs again with Durham. He was a popular player down there and they would love to see him back. Don't know much about Ridgway, but pitching is the only way this team will improve enough to compete with the teams in our division...
            That I can't understand. What did they judge him on??? The .145 September performance??? SOMEBODY will pick him up.

Granted, I'm a Red Sox fan, but I do go down to the Naimoli complex to watch the action in the spring. I've met Ridgway..good level-headed kid. He's paid his dues in the minors.
            sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

• Eddiey
              • May 2005

Originally posted by SDL
              That I can't understand. What did they judge him on??? The .145 September performance??? SOMEBODY will pick him up.

Granted, I'm a Red Sox fan, but I do go down to the Naimoli complex to watch the action in the spring. I've met Ridgway..good level-headed kid. He's paid his dues in the minors.
              What sealed Witts fate could have been his on base percentage. His batting
              average was .148 and his obp was the same .148. Zero walks and 21 strikeouts
              in 61 at bats is something worse then just a poor performance. His other shot at the majors was in 2003 with the Tigers. He had 270 at bats and hit .263 with an obp of .301. The fact that he is 30 years old and probably has no more upside in him didn't help.
              A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz. ~Humphrey Bogart

Comment

• raysnbran
                Clubhouse Lawyer
                • Jan 2005

Witt

Exactly Eddie. Some guys are just AAA players and can't get any higher. Nothing wrong with that, they can make a decent living doing something they love. But they've reached their level.

Comment

• tonypug
                  • Nov 2003

I was happy to see Norton re-sign. He had said he wanted to come back. Seo was another good signing. I thought the Rays signed Wigginton to a two year deal last year. I might be wrong.
                  Lets get Eddie Basinski elected to the Polish Sports Hall of Fame.
                  www.brooklyndodgermemories.com

Comment

• raysnbran
                    Clubhouse Lawyer
                    • Jan 2005

Brian Meadows

The Rays declined to pick up the 2007 option on Brian Meadows yesterday. He stepped in as the closer for a while after Tyler Walker went down, and saved 7 in a row, but then had a really bad stretch over 3 games, and never got the closer job back again. He was due $1.07M, and has said he would be willing to come back again for less money, so he might still be a part of the mix.

Comment

• tonypug
                      • Nov 2003

The Rays declined to pick up the 2007 option on Brian Meadows yesterday. He stepped in as the closer for a while after Tyler Walker went down, and saved 7 in a row, but then had a really bad stretch over 3 games, and never got the closer job back again. He was due $1.07M, and has said he would be willing to come back again for less money, so he might still be a part of the mix.
                      The closer issue remins one of the biggest question marks for the Rays. It was clearly shown last year that they really need one. Anyone know the status of Tyler Walker?

Comment

• raysnbran
                        Clubhouse Lawyer
                        • Jan 2005

Walker

Didn't he get an operation for Tommy John surgery in June? He might be out all of 2007. McClung might get another shot, but don't forget about Shinji Mori. I think he might be ready for ST. A closer is important, but not as important for us as for, say the Red Sox. We can get our 65 wins without overpaying for a closer. With Papelbon moving to the rotation, unless they are counting on Foulke or Timlin, they don't have one, do they? Unless maybe they make Hansen a closer and hope lightning strikes twice for them with young fireballing closers.

Comment

• tonypug
                          • Nov 2003

Didn't he get an operation for Tommy John surgery in June? He might be out all of 2007. McClung might get another shot, but don't forget about Shinji Mori. I think he might be ready for ST. A closer is important, but not as important for us as for, say the Red Sox. We can get our 65 wins without overpaying for a closer. With Papelbon moving to the rotation, unless they are counting on Foulke or Timlin, they don't have one, do they? Unless maybe they make Hansen a closer and hope lightning strikes twice for them with young fireballing closers.
                          I'm not saying spend a lot of money on a closer. But I can remember at least 10 times a decent closer would have allowed the Rays to win a few more games. Even bringing in someone like former Ray Roberto Hernandez would be an improvment. Mori is coming back from Tommy John surgery, there is nothing for certain with him.

Comment

• raysnbran
                            Clubhouse Lawyer
                            • Jan 2005

Tyler Walker

Rays release former closer Tyler Walker on Friday. No great loss, as he had TJ surgery and was probably out for 2007 anyways. And tonypug, today's SP Times had quotes from Mori saying he would be ready for ST. He had a torn labrum, not TJ surgery.

Comment

• tonypug
                              • Nov 2003

http://tampabay.devilrays.mlb.com/NA...ns.jsp?c_id=tb

Rays release former closer Tyler Walker on Friday. No great loss, as he had TJ surgery and was probably out for 2007 anyways. And tonypug, today's SP Times had quotes from Mori saying he would be ready for ST. He had a torn labrum, not TJ surgery.
                              Thanksfor the update. In my mind Mori is still a question mark, until he proves he can get batters out in the major leagues.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X