Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2006-2007 Offseason Thread

2006-2007 Offseason Thread

This thread is devoted to talking , transactions , news , trades , FA signings ...
    BTW , if judged usefull , could it be stickied , Thx .
    Last edited by TheKingofKings; 10-16-2006 at 02:07 PM.

Monday October 16th

Manager Ken Macha was relieved of his duties , following the elimination of the A's by the Tigers on Saturday. Macha , during his 4 years as the Club's skipper compiled a 368-280 record , reaching the postseason twice in 2003 and 2006 . The Top candidates to replace Macha are :

- Bench coach Bob Geren
    - 1st Base coach Rene Lachemann (428-560 with Seattle , Florida , Milwaukee and Chicago NL)
    - 3rd Base coach Ron Washington

2006 UFAs

SP Barry Zito (Our Ace)
    LF Jay Payton (Oh well , give my readhead a shot in LF)
    DH Frank Thomas (Will probably retire)

Carlos Lee ???

Seriously , Beane might try to go after Lee to get us a bat in our young but dangerous lineup , adding Lee would be great and he would compensate for the loss of Frank Thomas to retirement .
    I think this guy would be a perfect fit for our Club. He is a reliable cleanup hitter , can hit 30 HRs a year, run, field, throw out people at the plate and BAT OVER .300 !!!
    Please come to the West Coast Carlos !!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheKingofKings
    Seriously , Beane might try to go after Lee to get us a bat in our young but dangerous lineup , adding Lee would be great and he would compensate for the loss of Frank Thomas to retirement .
    I think this guy would be a perfect fit for our Club. He is a reliable cleanup hitter , can hit 30 HRs a year, run, field, throw out people at the plate and BAT OVER .300 !!!
    Please come to the West Coast Carlos !!!
    We don't need Lee, besides, Beane won't overpay as we all know.

Lee is gonna demand what Soriano is demanding 14+ million per season, which is outrageous.

I also like Payton/Kielty right now and that is a cheaper and effective combination. Do not forget that Eric Chavez and we also got the Big Hurt, no need for more offence, look for pitching and try to retain Zito (Beane will OVERPAY only for Zito though)
    Cristobal

Quote Originally Posted by wilkerson_rulz-06
    We don't need Lee, besides, Beane won't overpay as we all know.

Lee is gonna demand what Soriano is demanding 14+ million per season, which is outrageous.

I also like Payton/Kielty right now and that is a cheaper and effective combination. Do not forget that Eric Chavez and we also got the Big Hurt, no need for more offence, look for pitching and try to retain Zito (Beane will OVERPAY only for Zito though)
    The Big Hurt will probably retire and do not forget he is a UFA , Lee could maybe sign at a resonnable price and would be our DH , all if the Big Hurt retires .

The Big Hurt will probably retire and do not forget he is a UFA , Lee could maybe sign at a resonnable price and would be our DH , all if the Big Hurt retires .
    The Big Hurt isn't going anywhere, he'll be easy to retain.

As for Lee, ha! Affordable price? He turned down 13 million per season from the Brewers!
    Cristobal

Why would Lee lower his price? This is a big contract year for him, and he wont take a discount to play in Oakland.

Quote Originally Posted by EvanAparra
    Why would Lee lower his price? This is a big contract year for him, and he wont take a discount to play in Oakland.
    And Beane won't overpay either.

I'll say it again, Payton/Kielty is good, why screw that up by overpaying for a star.

So it comes down to THIS for dreaming fans:

Lee or Zito.

We can't afford to get both so if you want a worse pitching staff but a better hitting go with Lee, but, with an already good offense and a plethora of players, go with Zito.
    Cristobal

Zito is definetly the Face of our Franchise , he is our Ace and Anchorman , without Zito , we would be nowhere .

Expected 2007 Rotation

1. Zito (+10 Wins)
    2. Harden (Undefeated)
    3. Haren (+10 Wins)
    4. Loaiza (+10 Wins)
    5. Blanton (+10 Wins)

The same one as last year , it was pretty affective , 4 out of our 5 actual SP had more than 10 Wins wich is pretty great .

Big Frank was recently quoted as saying that the A's were trying to negotiate with him, but they were "far apart" still. What we paid him this year was a bargain- now he's looking for a 2 year deal.

Zito- No chance in hell that he gets retained.

Payton- Great role player, maybe worth a few million over 2 years.
    WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Quote Originally Posted by Zito75
    Payton- Great role player, maybe worth a few million over 2 years.
    but his defense is questionable

my inside sources have told me the A's will sign Nomar Garciaparra to play first, Swisher will play left full time....Thomas(money) @ Payton (unhappy with Oakland mgt.) will both leave and Duscherrer, Keith Ginter and Bobby Kielty will be traded to the Mets for Cliff Floyd and Michael Tucker and relief pitcher Mota.... you heard it here first....

Where do you get all this weird information ???

1-Kielty and Ginter for Floyd , Tucker AND Mota is absurd
    2-Garciaparra wants to stay in Dodgerland and doesn't want to end up with us + we don't want him either
    3-No way Duscherrer will be dealt

2-Garciaparra wants to stay in Dodgerland and doesn't want to end up with us + we don't want him either
    Why does Nomar want to stay in LA?

Nomar at first and Chavez at third? That's all we need- Gimpy fielders at the corners.
    WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Don't the A's have enough injury prone players?

read what I post before telling me it's absurd ... Duscherrer is included in the trade for Floyd ,Tucker and Mota... ....

Quote Originally Posted by Greerman29
    Don't the A's have enough injury prone players?
    Man, you got that right. I'm surprised we made the playoffs- We got seriously lucky.

Kotsay- back
    Ellis- Hand
    Duscherer- Soar arm
    Street- arm
    Crosby- Ribs, legs, arms, head... whatever
    Chavez- Shoulder
    Thomas- Calf
    Harden- Oblique, arm

I'm sure I'm leaving some out...
    WAR? Prove it!

Man, you got that right. I'm surprised we made the playoffs- We got seriously lucky.

Kotsay- back
    Ellis- Hand
    Duscherer- Soar arm
    Street- arm
    Crosby- Ribs, legs, arms, head... whatever
    Chavez- Shoulder
    Thomas- Calf
    Harden- Oblique, arm

I'm sure I'm leaving some out...
    every team goes through injuries.... other then Harden and Crosby ,all those players you mentioned played important roles and that's why we made the playoffs.....

Big Hurt Info

The A's have "reportedly" offered Frank Thomas a 2-year 15 Million dollar contract. This being a huge increase from the meak 500 K he made this year , wich of course was a "Test" contract to see if Thomas still could hit the Ball and stay Healthy .

The A's have "reportedly" offered Frank Thomas a 2-year 15 Million dollar contract. This being a huge increase from the meak 500 K he made this year , wich of course was a "Test" contract to see if Thomas still could hit the Ball and stay Healthy .
    That sounds about right. I'm not so sure Hurt can stay healthy. That's a lot of dough to spend on a DH that might only make 260 PA's.
    WAR? Prove it!

That sounds about right. I'm not so sure Hurt can stay healthy. That's a lot of dough to spend on a DH that might only make 260 PA's.
    It's a '' Big Risk/Big Reward '' type of situation .

Offseason Objectives

- Lock up Swisher and Street for Years to come .
    - Re-sign Zito
    - Acquire a DH if Frank Thomas retires
    - Acquire a dependable Reliever who can set up Street and even pitch + 2 Innings
    - Work on Swisher's Defense
    - Eric Chavez must have surgery to regain his GG status

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast