• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Elvis
    Team Veteran
    • Jul 2004

Longest current coaching tenure

I was thinking about Dodger bench coach Manny Mota and how he's been a Dodger coach without interuption since 1981. Actually he came out of retirement in late '82 as a player/coach for the Dodgers stretch drive, but went back to only coaching in '83.

That's 25 consecutive years. Is this the longest current tenure, or is there someone else who's coached longer?
  • efin98
    • May 2005

In uniform(manager, bench, pitching, bullpen, 1st base, 3rd base, or hitting) or as a coach in general(including instructors/minors manager/minors coach)?

Boston has retained Johnny Pesky a manager, coach, instructor every year since 1975, all the way back to 1969 if you consider working for the team as a TV/Radio personality.
    Best posts ever:
    Originally posted by nymdan
    Too... much... math... head... hurts...
    Originally posted by RuthMayBond
    I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

• Elvis
      Team Veteran
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by efin98
      In uniform(manager, bench, pitching, bullpen, 1st base, 3rd base, or hitting) or as a coach in general(including instructors/minors manager/minors coach)?

Boston has retained Johnny Pesky a manager, coach, instructor every year since 1975, all the way back to 1969 if you consider working for the team as a TV/Radio personality.
      Sorry. Yeah, I meant in uniform, in the dugout. Incidentally, the Dodgers website says 27 years, so I guess he was a player/coach those last two seasons.

Comment

• Sweet Lou
        Mariners Fan/Cubs Fan
        • Feb 2005

How long has Cox been with Atlanta?
        "He can get 10 hits in five at-bats." -Joe Torre, exasperated after seeing Ichiro hit a routine ground ball to shortstop and cross first with an infield single.
        sigpic

Comment

• brewcrew82
          Mod against IL play!
          • Jan 2000

Originally posted by Sweet Lou
          How long has Cox been with Atlanta?
          In uniform? Since 1990...that being the start of his second stint as Atlanta manager.
          RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Comment

• bigtime39
            • Jan 2003

Elrod Hendricks spent 28 seasons as the Orioles bullpen coach (1978-2005). He was activated as a player in his first two seasons (1978 and 1979). In all, according to the Orioles 2005 media guide, he started 37 seasons in an Orioles uniform.
            He comported himself with class during every one of those seasons.
            He is missed.
            4 5 (7) 8 20 22 33 42 (44)

Comment

• s.f.
              etaoin shrdlu
              • Sep 2006

Red Schoendienst is in his 64th year of pro ball, although he got kicked upstairs out of the dugout after La Russa came to town. Most of those years have been with the Cardinals, except for a few years as a player with Milwaukee and two years as a coach for Oakland after he was fired as Cardinals manager.

Comment

• Zito75
                A's Super Moderator
                • Jun 2003

Originally posted by bigtime39
                Elrod Hendricks spent 28 seasons as the Orioles bullpen coach (1978-2005). He was activated as a player in his first two seasons (1978 and 1979). In all, according to the Orioles 2005 media guide, he started 37 seasons in an Orioles uniform.
                He comported himself with class during every one of those seasons.
                He is missed.
                I was going to add Elrod to the list, then just realized that he passed away last year. I didn't even know that until today! He was a very fiery guy, I can tell you that from an encounter I had with him when I was about 14 years old.

RIP, Elrod.
                WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Comment

• geezer
                  Cardinals all the way!!!
                  • Apr 2006

Pat Corrales was in every year during Bobby Cox's tenure.

Bobby Cox was the Braves manager from 1978-1981, and later returned in 1986 as the GM and later in mid-1990 back to manager, as of today.
                  Last Player to hit for the Cycle: Matt Kemp, San Diego Padres (August 14, 2015)

Last Pitcher to throw a Regular Season No-Hitter: Max Scherzer, Washington Nationals 2-0 (October 3, 2015)

Last Pitcher to throw a Postseason No-Hitter: Roy Halladay, Philadelphia Phillies 4-0 (October 6, 2010)

Comment

• Zito75
                    A's Super Moderator
                    • Jun 2003

Originally posted by geezer
                    Pat Corrales was in every year during Bobby Cox's tenure.
                    Didn't he manage in Cleveland for a year?
                    WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Comment

• The Commissioner
                      Administrator
                      • Jan 2000

Originally posted by Zito75
                      Didn't he manage in Cleveland for a year?
                      He managed the Indians from 1983-87.

Comment

• Biggtone23
                        • Jan 2000

I think its Twins bullpen coach Rick Stelmaszyk whos been in that position since 1980!!!
                        Lets Go Yankees, Valley Cats, Dutchmen, UT Spartans and ECU Pirates.

Comment

• geezer
                          Cardinals all the way!!!
                          • Apr 2006

Luis Isaac has been the bullpen coach for the Tribe for over a dozen years.
                          Last Player to hit for the Cycle: Matt Kemp, San Diego Padres (August 14, 2015)

Last Pitcher to throw a Regular Season No-Hitter: Max Scherzer, Washington Nationals 2-0 (October 3, 2015)

Last Pitcher to throw a Postseason No-Hitter: Roy Halladay, Philadelphia Phillies 4-0 (October 6, 2010)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X