Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "McCarver-isms"

"McCarver-isms"

I was watching the World Series last night and just had to stop and laugh when Tim McCarver praised Pudge for his great "feetwork".

What are some of your favorites?

Quote Originally Posted by tommydale1
    I was watching the World Series last night and just had to stop and laugh when Tim McCarver praised Pudge for his great "feetwork".

What are some of your favorites?
    1..At least he got the number right.

2..This has been beaten to death before. There's not enough room here to list all his "gems".

Bob

There was that parody of Tim McCarver on Family Guy season 6 episode 2
    "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

If Bautista throws you out on that play then that is a good base running play.

Blog Entries
    “That pitch wasn’t down and in, that pitch was down and up.”
    "Mt. Everest erupts again!"
    "Something to keep in mind -- it's raining lightly. The infield could be very wet on ground balls."
    "Roy Oswalt is a drop and drive pitcher. What is a drop and drive pitcher? He is a guy who drops and drives. Very simple."
    "Watch Darren Daulton use his mitt like a glove."
    "There is a world of difference between a count of one ball and two strikes is a lot different situation than hitting with two strikes and one ball."
    "Giambi walks too much. He's always clogging up the bases with all that walking."
    "The reason we call that pitch up and in is because the arms are attached to the shoulder."
    "With Guererro, it's not as much a strike ZONE as it is a strike AREA."
    "You see Colon talking into his glove because David Ortiz, from the Dominican Republic, can obviously read lips in Spanish."
    "Beckett's retired 19 batters through Six and a third innings, he's having a phenomonal night..."
    "One thing about ground balls. They don't go out of the ball park."
    "Yankee pitchers have had great success this year against Cabrera when they get him out."
    Last edited by Erik Bedard; 10-23-2006 at 09:55 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Bedard
    “That pitch wasn’t down and in, that pitch was down and up.”
    "Mt. Everest erupts again!"
    "Something to keep in mind -- it's raining lightly. The infield could be very wet on ground balls."
    "Roy Oswalt is a drop and drive pitcher. What is a drop and drive pitcher? He is a guy who drops and drives. Very simple."
    "Watch Darren Daulton use his mitt like a glove."
    "There is a world of difference between a count of one ball and two strikes is a lot different situation than hitting with two strikes and one ball."
    "Giambi walks too much. He's always clogging up the bases with all that walking."
    "The reason we call that pitch up and in is because the arms are attached to the shoulder."
    "You see Colon talking into his glove because David Ortiz, from the Dominican Republic, can obviously read lips in Spanish."
    "Beckett's retired 19 batters through Six and a third innings, he's having a phenomonal night..."
    "Yankee pitchers have had great success this year against Cabrera when they get him out."
    And the smash hits keep on coming!

One thing I noticed about Tim, he has a habit of repeating himself, but he sugarcoats it somewhat. He also states the obvious but tries to act surprised when he says it...

THe thing with Vladdy was a good comment if a guy was just watching him play for the first time or is new to baseball should probably know what makes Vlad Vlad. The ground ball thing was ehh...more or less just saying that groundball pitchers don't get yard work done on them. But McCarver is a horse's ass.
    "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

Blog Entries
    The thing for the Vlad comment was that "zone" and "area" mean basically the same thing.

And about the ground ball comment, he could still say it in a way that doesn't state the obvious so much.

The thing for the Vlad comment was that "zone" and "area" mean basically the same thing.

And about the ground ball comment, he could still say it in a way that doesn't state the obvious so much.
    The guy was a catcher not a Rhodes scholar. It pisses me off when people get mad at athletes for saying stupid things, they're jocks not linguists or something that requires a formal education to do.

Blog Entries
    But see, to go on live national TV, you should have formal education. I have no problem with him being stupid while he plays, just not while people nationwide have to listen to him.

But see, to go on live national TV, you should have formal education. I have no problem with him being stupid while he plays, just not while people nationwide have to listen to him.
    Point well made. I mean not that I don't agree with you, but he's calling ball games. Keep in mind that Fox gave Bill O'Rielly and Sean Hannity their own shows, so McCarver to call games isn't exactly the worst thing that Fox needs to take care of.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLDuncan
    Point well made. I mean not that I don't agree with you, but he's calling ball games. Keep in mind that Fox gave Bill O'Rielly and Sean Hannity their own shows, so McCarver to call games isn't exactly the worst thing that Fox needs to take care of.
    Just like O'Reilly and Hannity, an awful lot of people must like McCarver, or he wouldn't be so successful at what he's doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgerfan1
    Just like O'Reilly and Hannity, an awful lot of people must like McCarver, or he wouldn't be so successful at what he's doing.
    Funny, I never have ran into one. They all must stay home.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Sweater
    You've just replied to one. Except you've never actually met me, so your record stays intact.

Want Free autographs? - My collection of 10,000+ current and former MLB players' addresses.

It pisses me off when people get mad at athletes for saying stupid things, they're jocks not linguists or something that requires a formal education to do.
    Funny how easy it is to criticize that we which we are incapable of doing ourselves.
    "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
    Carl Yastrzemski

Quote Originally Posted by runningshoes
    Funny how easy it is to criticize that we which we are incapable of doing ourselves.
    Not saying that McCarver, wasn't good at what he did when he played, but he's not the most articulate man in the world.

Not saying that McCarver, wasn't good at what he did when he played, but he's not the most articulate man in the world.
    I'm not refering to you; I'm refering to those around here who cut him to pieces.

The same ones that piss you off.
    "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
    Carl Yastrzemski

Quote Originally Posted by Old Sweater
    Those are called viewers, the folks that TV networks fight tooth and nail to get. If there are alot of them it doesn't matter how stupid he sounds to people, they aren't getting rid of him.
    Best posts ever:
    Quote Originally Posted by nymdan View Post
    Too... much... math... head... hurts...
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthMayBond View Post
    I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Quote Originally Posted by runningshoes
    Incapable of doing it because I'm not articulate and qualified, or incapable because I never played major league ball...so they won't consider me for the job?

There is no secret that many...not all...announcers get the job because of performance, or reputation, on the field. That's not fair, but that's the way it is.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast