Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "McCarver-isms"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLDuncan
    Actually he is, he does the AFLAC commericals aswell as others.
    After he became famous for his quotes.
    Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

Quote Originally Posted by nascarfn5
    How about the fact that McCarver is paid to speak and Yogi is not.
    Yes, there is that.... Somehow, though, I don't think that's what the anti-McCarver folks base their dislike on.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodgerfan1
    Yes, there is that.... Somehow, though, I don't think that's what the anti-McCarver folks base their dislike on.
    Well, I believe an announcer should sound professional and not not make weird and stupid comments. I think people accept the fact that Yogi Berra didn't even finish 8th grade. But if you repeat the same fact with two different phrases in the same sentance, it makes it hard for people to understand.

Let me take two quotes.
    "It's like deja vu all over again"-Yogi Berra
    This sentence references Yogi having deja vu again so in this sentence, Deju vu doesn't equal all over again in this sentence. Yogi is having a second Deja vu experience.
    "Beckett's retired 19 batters through Six and a third innings, he's having a phenomonal night..."
    This sentence references Beckett. As baseball fans and people who can do 6x3+1=19. These two phrases equal the same thing.

Also, I believe that people like Yogi's quotes more because there are explainations with them/coming from unlike McCarver's quotes.
    Yogiisms
    McCarverisms
    Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

There's an odd connection between Berra and McCarver that just occurred to me.

Many years ago, I think when he was with the Mets, Yogi once appeared on a soap opera with a medical theme. The scene was set in a cafeteria, and while the two actors were having their earnest conversation, one of them would repeatedly stare over at at another table, where Yogi sat silently eating his meal. Finally the actor whispers, "That guy over there looks awfully familiar. I know I've seen him before, but I just can't place him."

"Who? Oh, him! Don't you know? That's Dr. So-and-so, the famous brain surgeon."
    The ball once struck off,
    Away flies the boy
    To the next destin'd post,
    And then home with joy.
    --Anonymous, 1744

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgerfan1
    I asked the same question as Seattle1 did on my post above, and I agree with him. I don't think you can make a blanket statement that all of Berra's quotes are satirical jabs at the language. What about "I take a two hour nap, from one o'clock to four", or "Why buy good luggage? You only use it when you travel"? Those aren't puns, plays on words or spoonerisms, they are just dumb statements. Much like the type those who can't stand McCarver love to criticize him for, yet Berra gets a pass. I do believe I understand what you are saying, but I think the question is still a valid one.

Even if you consider my comparisons bad examples, they are still verbal blunders and ones that McCarver haters would have jumped all over Tim for. I think it's a double standard but, again, I suppose it's just human nature defend people you like yet criticize those you don't for the same offenses. Almost like the Kenny Rogers/dirt vs pine tar thread. Those who like the Tigers defend him and those who don't criticize him, yet both would probably do a 180 if, say, Jeff Weaver had the substance on his pitching hand and threw a shutout at the Tigers.
    The other thing that's important to consider here is context. When did these people make these quotes, and in what capacity? In addition to the fact that I just genuinely think Yogi's quotes are more clever, several almost to the point where I wonder if they were accidental at all, the two made their quotes in very different circumstances. Yogi wasn't paid to talk and sound intelligent.
    "Hall of Famer Whitey Ford now on the field... pleading with the crowd for, for some kind of sanity!"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123