View Poll Results: Brewer or Brave?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brewer

9 14.52%
  • Brave

53 85.48%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hank Aaron: Milwaukee or Atlanta?

Blog Entries
    A brave. That is what he played as mostly.
    MySpace Codes

Blog Entries
    I will always think of Hank as a Brave!

Learn more about my collection by clicking here. Can't find what you need? Visit Sportlots.com.
    Trusted Traders: Mike D.(8), duckydps(6), ttmman21(5), Dalkowski110(4), dmbfan(4), chucksk8er(3), anjo(2), Extra Innings(2), kearns643(2), RuthMayBond(2), The Commissioner(2), card-closure-man, closer28, Coachsmallhead, Cubsfan97, jakre, jjac, Ken Hastings, latinball, NYYgraphs, Phish, Pods Fan 22, riredsox, rugbyfreak, SportsAutosTTM, The Prowling Cat, Zito75, 14Bravesfan14

Milwaukee/Atlanta = New York/SF

The best comparison for Hank with the Brewers is Willie Mays going to the Mets.

Mays number should be retired by the New York Mets, everyone at the time perfectly understood why the Mets got him. They were bringing him 'home' to the city that nurtured and loved him. It was a fluke of greedy ownership that took him away from NY. He couldn't come home to the NY Giants because they no longer existed, the Mets replaced them. He absolutely, 100% is a part of Met history, as are all NY national league players.

It is an exact, parallel situation to Aaron's.

Aaron should be in the Hall as a Milwaukee Brave. Mays as a New York Giant. If for some hypothetical reason that was not possible, they should be inshrined as a Milwaukee Brewer & a NY Met.

It's about the city & it's fans, not the uniform that should be honored.

Quote Originally Posted by The Commissioner View Post
    All I have to say is that when Hammering Hank showed up the Cunningham's house it was as a Milwaukee Brave not an Atlanta Brave. If that was cool enough for the Fonz, it's cool enough for me.
    Aye!!!!!!!
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

http://sfgiants-forum.com/forum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Zig Tyko View Post
    The Hammer was Milwaukee. He was [and is] about as welcome in the south as the boll weevil.
    There is that.

The poll needs a third option: Milwaukee Brave.

Quote Originally Posted by six4three View Post
    There is that.

The poll needs a third option: Milwaukee Brave.
    Yes, "that little ol' thang" that reminds us all how the South brings us, has brought us, and always will bring us down as a country.

I have the right to remain silent, I just don't have the ability... thankfully.
    ---
    Pushing on the doors of life marked "pull."
    Visit my blog

Milwaukee Braves' Hank Aaron

The poll question misses the point, unfortunately. Aaron was a Milwaukee Brave.
    Also, the photo one participant posted sums up the perception problem. Most fans nowdays weren't around for the Milwaukee Braves and the only thing they've ever seen or heard about was one swing of the bat when Aaron was 40. To those of us who were around in his heyday in Milwaukee, seeing Aaron or any Brave with an "A" on his cap looks funny and out-of-place.
    Best wishes.

MILWAUKEE Brave.

Yes, but Mays spent much more time in SF that NY. I agree Aaron belongs more to Milwaukee so to speak but Mays SF is a SF Giant. He really only spent 5 years as a NYG when you consider he was in the military all of 1953 and most of 1952.

Quote Originally Posted by apbaball View Post
    Yes, but Mays spent much more time in SF that NY. I agree Aaron belongs more to Milwaukee so to speak but Mays SF is a SF Giant. He really only spent 5 years as a NYG when you consider he was in the military all of 1953 and most of 1952.
    Willie was never appreciated in S.F., as he was in New York. Say it with me now, "WILLIE MAYS, NEW YORK GIANTS."
    ---
    Pushing on the doors of life marked "pull."
    Visit my blog

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Zig Tyko View Post
    Willie was never appreciated in S.F., as he was in New York. Say it with me now, "WILLIE MAYS, NEW YORK GIANTS."
    I couldn't agree more. I was born in the 70's but I do consider Mays a NY Giant over SF.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12