Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: CKL 1964 Free Agent Auction

Blog Entries
    Still, this huge contract, along with Broglio, will barely get me over the 60M mark.

I feel a pretty hefty bid coming up on old Eddie Mathews now! Still got some real decent seasons left in the old body.
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by catcher24
    Boy, Hart probably looks pretty good now for some draft picks - at 1 million in 64, and only 3.5M by the end of the contract!

--Even with iron glove vs gold one, I'd rather have Hart and the difference in salary. That said, I had budgeted up to 17M on Robinson before making the Boyer deal.

Boy, Hart probably looks pretty good now for some draft picks - at 1 million in 64, and only 3.5M by the end of the contract!
    You're not kidding. I think I feel as good about Hart as you must have felt about Monbouquette after the Pizzaro signing.
    "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

--Brooks Robinson signs with the Gold Sox at 18M per season.

Blog Entries
    OK, Gold Sox withdraw from the Mathews bidding.

Actually, Hart is an average fielder range wise, although his error rating was a tad high. But after Brooksies 64 MVP season, Hart is better offensively every year and a LOT cheaper! The Boyer trade was an excellent one for you, Mark.
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

--Last up in the live auction is Eddie Mathews. Eddie is slowing down a little, but still brings alot of pop to the 3B spot on a 3 year deal.

Yeah, I couldn't believe I got Monbo for 2.5M. I was ready to go quite a bit higher.

I'll start at 5 million.

Actually, Hart is an average fielder range wise, although his error rating was a tad high. But after Brooksies 64 MVP season, Hart is better offensively every year and a LOT cheaper! The Boyer trade was an excellent one for you, Mark.
    --It was great for 64, but he is strictly a rental. I won't be paying him 9M for his 91 OPS+ next year. Still a 4M platoon of Gilliam and Wert doesn't look too bad for 65 all things considered.

Yeah, I couldn't believe I got Monbo for 2.5M. I was ready to go quite a bit higher.
    I was thinking of giving him a run, but felt sure that nobody would be willing to give Pizzaro a multi-year deal. Oh well; just have to pick up some really cruddy innings eater for the back of the rotation.
    "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

--The Shoeless Joes bid 6.5M

--The Knights go 6.75. The Joes and Cider pass.

The Stingers bid 6.75 million.

Quote Originally Posted by leecemark
    --It was great for 64, but he is strictly a rental. I won't be paying him 9M for his 91 OPS+ next year. Still a 4M platoon of Gilliam and Wert doesn't look too bad for 65 all things considered.
    Mark;

Where can I find the rules on contract buyouts? Is it in the rules thread?

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Still a 4M platoon of Gilliam and Wert doesn't look too bad for 65 all things considered

That should work out OK for you.

Okay, 7.5 million.

Jim - It should be in the rules thread, but here's a copy of that section (Section 4, Sub. F):

F. Players on multi-year contracts may have the remainder of their deal bought out for one half of the total remaining value of the contract during the non-tender perod. For example, a player on a 3 year/10M per year deal could have the 2nd and 3rd years bought out for a 10M cap hit in year 2 or a 5M cap hit in year 3.

If you're wondering, it would cost Mac 9.75M (assuming a three year deal) to buy out the last two years, or 5M (rounding up to stay with 250K increments) to buy out just the third year, by my calculations.
    Last edited by catcher24; 11-17-2006 at 06:36 PM.

7.75m...........

Blog Entries
    Gold Sox announce that Brooks Robinson will receive an unprecedented 5 year, 90 million dollar contract.

Jim - It should be in the rules thread, but here's a copy of that section (Section 4, Sub. F):

F. Players on multi-year contracts may have the remainder of their deal bought out for one half of the total remaining value of the contract during the non-tender perod. For example, a player on a 3 year/10M per year deal could have the 2nd and 3rd years bought out for a 10M cap hit in year 2 or a 5M cap hit in year 3.

If you're wondering, it would cost Mac 9.75M (assuming a three year deal) to buy out the last two years, or 5M (rounding up to stay with 250K increments) to buy out just the third year, by my calculations.

That's what I thought. Heck of a price to pay for one year of a guy.

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

8 million for him.

And the Legends announce that Ron Santo is having a conniption fit because of Robinson's contract.

--Basically Mac would be paying Pizzaro 19.5M for one season, but paying it out over 2 years. Pizzaro is very good in 64, but not THAT good IMO. He does shield Norm Cash, but Cash isn't worth 19.5M either.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast